Affinity Strat review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Strat

The guitar has 3 single coil Vintage sounding pickups, but I play mostly Hard Rock/Metal, so this doesn't really suit my sound (unless I throw a DragonFire hotrail single coil humbucker on the bridge) but when I first started I played alot of country and classic rock and roll so it suited perfectly. Since they are single coils, they can't take much distortion without bad feedback, but that's expected. Artificial Harmonics are difficult to achieve on them, but natural harmonics ring like a bell.

I've owned about 10+ guitars over the past 8 years, and this one has never failed me. Of course it can't lay a finger on my Michael Kelly Patriot Glory, but it's outlasted a few of my other guitars. If it were stolen I would be so saddened to lose it, it's like an old friend to me. Got me started in guitar playing and has stuck with me ever since. If someone wants a good beginner guitar or a backup that will last years of abuse, this is the one to buy. It's also a perfect guitar for customization, probably the easiest to do. Since it's lasted me so long, I think I may revamp it with a black/red marbled paint job and a loaded pickguard from Tnt guitars, they know their strats. I'd recommend this guitar to anyone.

After probably 10 years of abuse, it still works like a charm. There's a little wear on the finish from playing but that happens to every guitar. It still has 100% original hardware and hasn't needed repaired. The strap buttons aren't that great though, I've had a few straps come loose and result in a few dents.

I got it used and when I first started out, so I had no idea how to adjust anything, but after learning I found out that it was set up pretty well already. I just raised the pickups a little to alter the sound a bit. The finish doesn't scratch easily or show dents that much, it takes a real beating quite well.

My first guitar, the Squier Affinity Strat. I got mine about 8 years ago from my brother, who got it from his friend, so it's been around for about 10-12 years. I don't know where Squier makes their guitars though. It has 21 fret rosewood fretboard with a non gloss feel on the back, to help with fast fingers. The body is made of alder, which looks quite nice on the models with a transparent finish. Mine is the basic black with white pickguard and a Vintage rocking tremolo bridge. It's not that practical because the trem seems to put the guitar out of tune quickly. The tuners don't like to keep tune at first, but after about 3 times then they get used to the string tension and stay pretty well.

zack.m92
    Ok people. We need to put things into perspective. This is not a guitar for chugging slayer riffs or ripping nevermore two handed taps. Its a single coil strat. Out of the box it is an entry level guitar. There is nothing fancy about it. But for sitting in your room when you are 11 years old, it is perfectly fine. I got this as my first guitar about 11 years ago and i recently started modding it. I got a 50's reissue mim neck, seymore duncan ssl 5 in the bridge and custom shop 50s in the middle and neck slots. And i had it set up professionally, So for about 300 extra dollars, it plays, feels and sounds better than many mim or american strats that i have played. The most important thing to notice is that the body is alder, which is the same as the mim and american strats. So for about 500 dollars you have have exacty what you want in your own custom package. Keep in mind that gear is fun but tone comes from the player not the gear.