Affinity Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Affinity Strat

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I would like to first say that I am making my comments and ratings based on how it compares to other guitars around its price range not to ones above it. I have a 2005 Indonesian built Strat with 21 or 22 frets (Can't remember at the moment) with a Rosewood Fretboard. It is a basswood body with a Candy Red Finish. The bridge is a standard tremolo. It has 3 Squier standard strat singlecoil pickups with a 5 way switch, 1 volume and 2 tone knobs. The tuners and pickups are stock but have a good sound for a low end guitar.

I play a wide range of styles from soft single picking like some Tremonti style all the way to hard rock and some metal and this guitar is fairly versatile. I play it through a Peavey Rage 158 Transtube amp with a Boss DS-1 and Danelectro Fab Chorus pedal and the sound is pretty good with that set up. This guitar has a rather bright tone that you would expect from a strat. It has a nice round vintage sound with the neck pickup and a good bright crisp tone through the bridge. It is not the best guitar for screaming riff and extremely distorted sounds but it will handle it. Also it gets buzzy when tuned below drop C but sounds fine in drop D, C#, or in Eb tuning. With the right amps and effects it will make most sounds that you want it to and can handle a wide range of playing.

Since I bought this guitar second hand I do not know how it was set up from the factory. Because of this I will talk about the set up when I got it in this section. It was set up rather well. I had to adjust the truss rod some but that's just for player preference. The pickups were better than in expected them to be for a guitar of this caliber. They sounded better and had more distinction between each of them then I expected. I have looked over all the electronics and they seem well put together. There were a few minor flaws but that is most likely just because it was second hand. The biggest flaw in it is that there is a crack in the back of the guitar that runs from just next to the neck pocket to the backplate that was there when I got the guitar but isn't very deep and does not affect the sound quality. The only other flaw I found was that the screws in the plate around the jack started coming loose but I put part of a toothpick in the hole and tightened the screws back down and it is holding up just fine now. I am giving it a 5 because of the guitar when I got it and I do not know how it was from the factory.

I play so many different styles of music and this guitar handles most of them without problems. It is really versatile. I have been playing for 7 years and have had this guitar for 5 years. I also have a Jasmine ES-31C acoustic, a Kohala ukulele, Sovereign banjo, Epiphone LP Special II, and a cheap no brand Strat. If this guitar were stolen or lost I would buy another immediately. I love the comfort of playing this guitar and the variety of tones I get from it. My parents bought this for me for a gift so I did not compare it to any other gear then but since I've had it I have compared it to my Epiphone and I like it much better. The only thing I would change about it is I would get a humbucker in the bridge instead of the singlecoil if I got another.

dethhwk
    This guitar is surprisingly good for the price. Excellent for a beginners, and if you know what you're doing with your amp, this guitar can sound out of this world. Also, its as durable as the most expensive guitars. It can take any string gauge without any problems and is pretty much unbreakable. 8/10 as a guitar overall, and considering it just $250, 10/10