Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: Sounds Of Frome

I play alternative rock to heavier stuff and it suits it ok but it buzzes anytime it starts to be played hard. It is better with the high sounds and it has a good bright sound but it needs better pickups really for the richer sound. I'm using it with the little Squier SP10 amp that it came with and it is very noisy when I'm not playing anything.

I am a beginner on guitar but a higher intermediate bass player and I also own a Squier P-Bass, which I love. I would definetly buy something else next time. I wish it was set up better and had a humbucker. I had the choice between a Marshall Rocket pack, which everyone has told me to not buy one, a Yamaha pack, some model worse than a Pacifica, and a Strat or Tele pack. I was inclined to go for the Tele on several friends advice and the thesis that everyone has a Strat. While the Strat may be boring, it's probably better. Beginner's guitar? I'm a beginner and it's not easy to learn on.

I wouldn't gig this, the hardware looks pretty good though and the strap buttons are solid. The finish I imagine will wear off very quickly indeed and as I already said, I wouldn't gig this in the first place. I have another Squier which I trust completely but this I just don't, the whole thing just seems too fragile altogether.

It wasn't set up very well, i.e. the constant buzzing. The pickups aren't adjusted very well and the volume and tone knobs are loose. The finish looks great but won't last very long and in places is already scuffing even though it hasn't ben dropped or taen outside my house at all.

This was crafted in China in, I believe 2004, but I bought it new in mid-2006. A standard maple C shape neck with 21 medium jumbo frets and a maple fretboard. Traditional tele shaped body and a six saddle top-load bridge. 2 split-single coil pickups, chrome hardware and a 3-way pickup selector. It came as a starter pack with a 10-watt amp which has a distortion button on it, which works quite well. Also a strap, a very short tuition DVD and some picks.