Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: Used from private seller

I really needed something with single coils as humbuckers just don't work for all styles of music. This really fits the bill for a lot of stuff where a less heavy sound is needed. I'm using a number of different effects and amps. This guitar sounds excellent when using an acoustic emulator. I've been using it for everything from blues to classic rock to modern punk (Blink 182, Green Day, etc).

I'm really happy with it. I didn't feel like spending $600 on an American Tele and this more than meets my needs now. Plus, it makes a great project guitar. Who knows, maybe one day I'll strip the finish, route the edges for binding and refinish the whole thing.

I think even in it's stock form that it's a reliable guitar. The changes I've made make it a better guitar and really helped fill a need. Even a PRS is going to fall apart if you don't take care of it properly. As mentioned, the finish looks a little thin (a tinted clear coat) but I kind of like that. Not the typical 1/4 thich urethane finish like a lot of guitars.

Action was really nice. As I mentioned, the guitar plays really well. The finish, ultimately, isn't going to hold up in the long run, but that also depends on where you play, how often you play, etc. This guitar will probably turn into a decent looking relic on it's own.

Standard tele for the most part. Top loading bridge. Finish is pretty thin. Most likely a urethane. Mine is already showing some cracking along some of the wood grain. Might bother some folks. I figure it will make an interesting looking relic some day. The electronics are ok but not great. Stock pickups sound fine but a little thin. I replaced the stock pickups with GFS Fatbody pups. Much fuller sound without being too hot or taking away from the standard tele twang sound. The three way has a very loose feel too it. The pots are ok but again, not great. I've got a complete 4-way switching system that I'll be installing so all of that stuff will be coming out. Cheap plastic nut. That will eventually need to be replaced. Also, I changed out the bridge saddles with some better ones (with shorter set screws). I also added a 3-ply B/W/B pickguard and Schaller strap locks, so, ultimately, I have the original body, neck, tuners and bridge base plate. Don't get me wrong, it's still a plenty nice guitar and plays really well. I just did that stuff to make it a better guitar.

axejam123
    ^ whoa, whoa, whoa, E V H. are you seriously comparing Epiphone to Squier? oh boy. Epiphones are not in the $100-200 price range for a reason. Sure, they're not Gibson, but so is nothing else. I've been playing for six years, have had an Epiphone for 4, and it's been absolutely awesome. Squire can't even hang with Epi. But you are right about if you're a beginner, youre not gonna go out and pick up a Fender Eric J strat. just dont dis epi next time, man. I picked mine over a Fender standard strat
    E V H 5150
    If you're buying a Squier, you're not buying for sound or looks. They are cheap for a reason. If you wanted to learn guitar, would you buy a Gibson Les Paul with a Marshall full stack? No, you're much more likely to go with a Squire (or any other brand like it, such as Epiphone). And the amp is just there to hear yourself, not to sound pretty.
    CHIROBLASTER
    I don't think the gauge of the strings cause the difference in the sound maybe my pickup is responsible, maybe it is defective. but it doesn't matter it isn't so bad in my country the guitars are expensive i bought it very inexpensive 330 levs (lev is the currency in my country) which is near 226$ Next time i'll ask someone to send me a guitar by the post
    makuserusukotto
    they first reviewer said they were split coils, im sure neither of the tele pickups are slpit coil
    High_o
    what is a spit coil? is it another way of saying single coil?
    CHIROBLASTER
    there no such thing as bulgarian dollars 1 US dollar = 1.6 bulgarien levs we, the bulgarians are very rich so the guitars are expensive here
    E V H 5150
    I was comparing epiphone to Squire in the sense that Squire is a cheaper form of Fender, and Epiphone is a cheaper form of Gibson, that's all.
    SOMETHINGSOAD
    woah woah woah chiroblaster thats not what my sister says about your country she says its really poor or somethinglike that
    RadioMuse
    By "split coils" are we talking tap-coil equiped humbuckers or Z-coils. Either way this particular tele model has neither and would require a massive overhaul to take on either. And the sub-$200 Epi's suck every bit as much as a Squires, don't be silly. At that price range anything with a name brand tag is aweful, you've got to go used if you want something decent. It's amazing what you can pick up on eBay or at a local music shop.
    Crazycowz44
    I wouldnt Pay 4 a telecaster when i Would pay an extra $100 and get an epipiphone les paul Brand new
    TheDev01dOne
    I wouldn t pay that much 4 a Squire when i Can get it 4 $50 on ebay and i could get a Gibson Les Paul on Ebay 4 an Extra $50
    $100 for a Gibson Les Paul. Dude.. Get your hand off it. Mabye you could get a korean rip off LP for $100..
    Crazycowz44
    CHIROBLASTER
    Some professional musicians and bands use epiphone but nobody uses squier- squier is for beginners really (stop dreaming start playing) but the difference between the squier and the real fender isn't 800$ it is smaller just the prices of the fender are too high (they are artificial) SOMETHINGSOAD , how won't be bulgaria poor when the cheapest guitars are 250$