Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: Guitar Empire

I mainly use this guitar at the moment as it's the only one I've got but I do use it for home practice and also for recording and performing with my band. The style of music I am using it for is: Oasis, Sex Pistols, Stone Roses and The Who, which it holds up to very well and sounds great. The amp I'm using this through is my Marshall MG50 DFX and it sounds great on that on either clean or overdrive, the sound is pure Tele through and through. The guitar has a very bright and biting sound on the bridge pickup and sounds great on the Marshalls overdrive where it just "snarls and growls" through the riffs and also sounds great when soloing. When youve switched back to clean you'll still find that the bridge pickup has it's trademark twang and sounds ver clear and jangly. When you Switch to the neck pickup it can sound a little muddy when used with lots of gain so I tend to only use it on clean and on a slight overdrive. overall the neck pickups tone is great and is warm and smooth. When the pickup Switch is set to the middle position you get a blend of both pickups and that has the twang of the bridge and the warmth of the neck.

Overall I think this tele is great for the style of music that me and my band play (indie, rock, punk) and I think it sounds great for all of them. However you can't really play death metal on it as it want designed to do so. I have been playing guitar for about 2 years now and already own this guitar, A Vintage Strat copy which was my first guitar and I don't really play, and my Marshall MG50 DFX. Hopefully saving up for the Epiphone Supernova in the next few months. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would most likely go out and buy a Fender or maybe a higher range Squier Telecaster as I have fallen in love with the sound and playability of this great guitar!

I've had this guitar for about 7 months now and it already looks like an original tele from the 60s as the butterscoth finish looks great but it is very very very thin and even the slightest tap or knock will make the paint chip off, so thin in fact you can see where the paint is chipping off from when I catch the top bout of the guitar with my plectrum when I'm playing hard. So it does now look well used! I have however used this guitar for gigging (with a backup obviously) and I'm not exactly the softest person to play guitar either so overall it's doing a very good job of delivering the goods. The hardware and strap buttons on this guitar are very hardwearing and have yet to fail me.

I brought this guitar new from the shop and it was set up very well with hardly no flaws apart from the white scratchplate that should have been a black one but that's my only flaw with it really! The finish on this guitar is beautiful and really complements the lighter neck and scratchplate very well.

I believe this is a 2005 model that was apparently "Crafted in China" as it states on the back of the headstock. It has 21 medium size frets set into a maple fingerboard on a "c shape" maple neck. The body of this guitar is in the shape of a Telecaster (obviously) and is made from Alder and comes with a very nice if not a very thin Butterscotch Blonde finish, which looks absolutly brilliant with the White scratchplate that was fitted (unlike the black one in the picture). This guitar has a Tele style bridge with 6 top loading saddles which are easily adjustable for intonation and for action. On the chrome control plate you will find 2 chrome knobs; One for volume, the other for tone. There is also a 3-way pickup selector switch. The pickups on this guitar are 2 single coils with a chrome "lipstick" pickup in the neck position and a "hotter single" pickup in the bridge position. The tuners on this guitar aren't locking but they still hold the guitar in tune very well, even when played hard. I didn't get any accessories with my guitar.

Spazzy212
    ive got one and yeh when u play hard it does buzz, and whoever said the top string is heavier than the rest or w.e, check ur equalisation, bcus mine are the same :S
    MarcoGE
    I'll have the butterscotch one for 200 bucks within two or three weeks, looking forward to test this.