Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: Rimmer's Music

It suits my style very well with the two single pickups. I play alternative rock, classic rock, some bluesy stuff, nothing to hard. Although it might benefit from a humbucker pickup (for my style)it is very versatile for a guitar of it's price. I mplay it through a Roland Cube 30X and it sounds great! Makes a range of sounds on this. A very versatile sound for its price tag, but obviously only beginner standard.

I play anything from jazz to hard rock, including punk, alternative, garage rock and it suits me fine. Very versatile. I've been playin for about 3 months now and I have a Cube 30X (as said earlier). I would definatley buy another if it were stolen/lost, when I could raise the cash. I love the neck, nice and thin and easy to play. I compared it to the Epiphone Les Paul Special II but I chose the Tele because it has a nicer sound. If there was one thing I had on it, it would be a set of wolume and tone knobs for each pickup.

Seeing as it's only a beginner guitar, it would do for live playing but maybe something with a sweeter tone for live playing but as far as durability goes it is very robust. Strap buttons seem solid (touch wood). I would probably use it in a gig without a backup but I would always have a backup anyway because you can never be too sure. Finish seems solid.

Really nicely set up, the Fender 250 strings that come as standard are a bit thick but you can change those really easily. From what I can see all is well. Oh, the nut is plastic but looks fairly durable, and sometimes when you're sliding up and down the neck if you squeeze a little too hard then you're hand can get shredded by the fret wire sticking out a bit, but not too much.

Made in China. 21 medium jumbo frets. Maple neck. Alder/agathis body. Bolt-on neck. Satin finish. Standard Telecaster body with standard 6 string Toploader bridge. 1 volume knob, one tone knob, 3-way pickup selector. Two single coil pickups, and non-locking tuners.

hippie65
    I agree with Telecaster7, I actually really like Squiers. And you can always buy pickups to put in it and still pay only around $250. I'm going to buy one and put probably a Dimarzio Pre B-1 and an Area T in it. This guitar is good stock, and with new pickups it can be professional quality.
    zorbathegeek
    Just bought a butterscotch blonde one. Choice of two in the shop I finally chose - the black one was nice but the bridge pick up was scratchy. You need to try a few. I tried a few Mex fenders and didn't like them enough to pay extra. Roll the tone off the neck pick up and it's fine for clean or jazzy sounds, even though I've heard that pick up criticised often. For the price I think it's amazing. Anyone playing outside their bedroom should change the flimsy selector, and changing those fender strings for a decent set will work wonders. After that you can choose to change the pick ups somewhere down the line if you think it needs it - though a lot of these noiseless things can be a bit dull sounding to some people, so make sure you try them first. If the thing buzzes you should take it back to the shop and get them to fettle it, or pay a decent luthier to set it up properly (perhaps with your new strings and any modifications you want). Get the squire decal off the headstock and ask a friend to play it... Find a small shop where the guitars are actually in tune, play a few, choose the right one.
    Hayden 0wnz
    im a bit dumb wiv guitars - squier is by fender so i think it must be brill i luv teles and im defo still getting blue affinity squier tele for about 130 ($260)
    blobthedie
    Everyone stop complaining about Squire! Set it up right, it'll play like a dream, if you don't like the tone, put in new pickups. Still don't? Get a new amp. Simple.
    guitar_will
    the butterscotch tele's are slightly better quality then the other affinity's. i have the butterscotch blonde and my m8 has the other ones. We and other people agree that it's slightly bettter quality!
    Hayden 0wnz
    i have this in arctic white, cost me 125 and i play it through a line 6 30 watt spider iii. i use a standard jim dunlop cry baby with it and it sounds sexual i also use a range of marshall pedals with it and it gives great sound