Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: www.guitar.co.uk

I've been using mine mainly with a marshal mg15 amp, but I have also used it in my friends larger amps aswell as live and for some recording. Overall it has a nice sound. The bridge pickup without a doubt has has the classic tele twang and sounds good with distortion (though there is alot of hum if the tv or the laptop are near by). I Play mainly pop punk styles and some more clean jazzy sounds and it copes very well. My only real issue is when I play it alongside my friends Fender lite Ash tele, the Fender is noticably better. But on its very good and i have no complaints.

If this guitar was stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again just because it is an entry level guitar, but I would miss it. After playing this I have just ordered another Squier Telecaster, this time a tele custom with P90s. If your a begginer guitarist or are buying your first guitar, I would definatly recomend it but for a more experienced player I would say get a higher level squire.

The guitar as withstood a couple of Live gigs with few complaints always with a back up guitar though. A few scratches and dents in the back from my belt and some paint chips from knocks but that just my fault I guess. None of the finish has worn away simpley from regular use. It would make a perfect practice guitar.

Out of the box, the action was a little bit high but the anotation was fine. The pickups were more or less the right hight. I'm not really sure if the neck pickup is adjustable, the bridge pickup is and I raised it slightly near the lower strings which made its distorder sound better. The tone control wasn't on as tight as the volume but only needed tightening with a small alan key. In term of finish the guitar was very clean and shiney with no imperfections on the finish.

I got this in summer 07 in black with a white pick guard. It has a pretty Standard tele set up; 3 way pick up selector, volume and tone control. It has two single coil pickups, just basic pickups for entry squires, nothing special, but my no means bad. The body is for some reason thinner than a regular tele, maybe to save money and wood in manufacture or just to make it lighter for begginers.

Robijntje
    I just got a 1998 model (wich has better finish and sound than 2004 models) and the sound is great. I mostly play Foo Fighters songs ( or any kind of that) and it works great for me. I guess everyone has a different standard from a Tele's (even by Squier) Let us be!
    Brettherev
    I've been fairly pleased with mine, I would never pay more than $200 for one but it's a decent budget guitar...looks nice and sounds clean. However, once you've owned it for a while you notice all the little corners that were skipped and it starts to become a pain in the ass. The knobs fall off, the trem nut (which needs to be upgraded) was nearly impossible to remove, somehow the plastic piece had almost bonded with the wood. The neck is a bit shoddy; buzzes quite a bit, especially on the third string. Honestly, if you read this because you're thinking of getting one, get a xaviere tele copy instead, it's the same price but at least 20-30% better quality. Trust me.