Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

This tele plays rock and punk extremely well, it seemed to play blues well on the neck pickup. I was skeptical at first when buyin it because I don't care much for the traditional tele twang but I liked the look of the guitar so I went ahead and purchased it. I was pleasantly surprised because it plays the aforementioned genres of music very well. The pickups however were not adjusted properly and were of poor quality so they produced a lot of buzzing on my Marshall amp, this is unnoticeable while playing but when you stop it is really quite annoying. I've tried playing reggae on this guitar but it seemed to pack too much punch and it was very difficult to find a tone that suited the reggae style. There are a wide variety of tones on the clean setting, and the hum is almost unnoticeable. The bridge pickup, though it buzzes alot, is pretty hot and plays pinch harmonics well and reacts well to aggressive styles of play. Do not buy this guitar if you want a traditional tele sound. This guitar looks like a tele but the sound reminds me more of the sound of an SG.

This is an excellent beginners guitar, the sound fits the genre of rock very well. I have been playig for 3 years and as I said this was my first guitar, when I bought it I compared it to an Epiphone les paul. The sound and comfort of this guitar blew away the Epiphone, this guitar is very easy to play, but when comparing it to a Fender or a Gibson, it stands no chance. Over all a great buy for $150 canadian. Not recommended to high intermediate or advanced players unless you want the neck.

I would not play this guitar live. It has too much buzz and with the wiring problems I have encountered I simply do not trust it. The strap buttons are solid, the hardware, the finish and the wiring seem very unreliable to me. I would not use it at a gig without a backup.

The bridge needed major adjustment when I bought it, and some of the wiring seemed to have come apart after a few months of playing which was very strange to me. If you know what you are doing, it is easy to fix. The routing was good and the tuners were decent. The fretwires could have used a bit more filing, but I must say that the neck on this guitar was amazing. This neck is one of the best I have played on. It was very smooth, and because it is an affinity series tele, the neck is narrower near the headstock making almost every note on the guitar easy to access and play. This neck rivals the neck on my Gibson Les Paul Standard which I paid $2500 for. The finish is very thin, I have chipped it off in a few places. The hardware is nothing like the hardware on a Gibson or Fender, but was in decent working condition and had no major flaws except for the loose wiring on the bridge pickup.

Made 2006 I believe in China, it is a 21 fret guitar with a maple neck. The fret spacing is medium Jumbo. Body made from three pieces of solid Alder. Traditional Tele Body and has top loading bridge. Features two single coil pickup's in the neck and bridge positions, and three way switchng with volume and tone control. Tuners do not lock, seem to keep the guitar in tune quite well.

JohnnyApplecore
    axejam123 wrote: ^ whoa, whoa, whoa, E V H. are you seriously comparing Epiphone to Squier? oh boy. Epiphones are not in the $100-200 price range for a reason. Sure, they're not Gibson, but so is nothing else. I've been playing for six years, have had an Epiphone for 4, and it's been absolutely awesome. Squire can't even hang with Epi. But you are right about if you're a beginner, youre not gonna go out and pick up a Fender Eric J strat. just dont dis epi next time, man. I picked mine over a Fender standard strat
    From my experience, the Squier's I've played have been better than the Epiphones. I like this guitar quite a bit, the action feels great, and I really dig the maple neck.
    LarsK
    I own one of those for half a year now. I swapped the pickups with real Fender Texas style pickups. Now it sounds much "twangier". I adjusted the action, did a slight modification on the truss nut and modified the head nut, put on Elixir Super Light strings and now this babe sounds better than any mid prized Telecaster. I am proud to show off my Squier logo!
    Gentillekes
    I've payed 300 euros for my squier telecaster thinline, which sounds better than the cheapest real fenders!!!! (judged not only by me, also by a 50 year old guitar player, who owns high quality stuff...)
    hardrox
    It's a beginners guitar so don't expect that much of it. I've owned this Guitar for like 5, 6 months and it's a good starter guitar. It isn't good for an intermediate (like me) and it doesn't hold a candle to a actual fender.