Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

I play mostly rock, metal and punk, but I wanted a guitar that could play classic rock had a mellow blues like sound with a nice punk distortion. The neck pickup is very mellow dark and has that bluesy sound.The Bridge pickup is the complete opposite it has a very raw sound sharp and crisp really in your face. The cleans on this guitar are even better the neck gives an amazing clean that I was after while the Bridge gives you a bright twangy sound. Overall I like the stock pickups some might complain about the loud feedback but I think it adds a little flavor. They are not as precise they can get muddy but its easily handled.

I wanted this guitar to have a different tone my other guitar which is a Jackson DXMG with SD blackouts this guitar is the complete opposite from it. Which was the whole reason I liked it, I actually like the feedback but it can be pain at times. I've been playing for about three years now and I wanted a good cheap second guitar. My favorite thing about this guitar was it look and cleans. When you add distortion it has a very raw sound that some may not like. If you want a metal guitar you won't find it here unless you get some pickups. The finish looks great but chips way too easily its like glass. I doubt anyone would steal it since its a Squire which many bash yet I think it was an awesome guitar. I would hope they make the finish thicker and tighten the controls. I think if your looking for a cheap second guitar or maybe you first you can't go wrong hear its not expensive and plays well with a pretty good sound, if you can for cheap go for it.

This guitar can be used live if you don't mind the feedback. It stays in tune even under the hardest strumming and I doubt any of the electronics would mess up. You just have to treat like a baby unless you want to knock off half the finish. Another odd thing to me is the output jack cables seem to slip out even the slightest tug and it comes right out.

I bought it used so I can't really say how it came from the factory but when I picked it up it was awesome. No fret buzz, intonation all correct and topped off with low action. The only downside is it had 9s on it I rather have 10s but I don't feel like ruining the set up. The Switch is flimsy but it not a huge concern the tone pot dosen't make a big difference. The finish is beautiful very glossy with a Vintage appeal along with the chrome hardware and pick guard. Which even makes it worse since the finish is thin making it very easily to chip. The controls are loose but not enough for me to care everything is fine to be honest no real concerns except the thin finish.

I have a Squire Affinity Telecaster that was made in China, I'm not sure of the year. It has an all maple neck with 21 frets bolted on to an alder body. The neck is unfinished where you can see knots, the body a butterscotch blond that allows you to see the grain of the wood with a black pick guard. Its the usual tele shape with a top loader bridge, some off brand pickups, master tone and volume and a 3 way switch.