Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: guitar centre

It has that shrill Telecaster sound, perfect for my music playing styles (CCR, Jay and The Americans, Johnny Rivers, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly...) in small settings I go through a 30 watt ss combo amp, or through the house P.A. The neck pickup is perfect for my rhythms and the combo or Bridge pickup for leads. I had always used a heavier sounding Ibanez with HH configuration, but this kinda overtook my thought process.

I like doing the real good retro stuff, late 50's, 60's and 70's (don't get me wrong, I'd love to play like Zakk Wylde or even Gary Hoey, but I'm happy with my licks). I've been doing music since the 70's, been through a few phases (country, bluegrass, Texas Swing, metal). I have an Ibanez that's a great shredder, and a 12 string Yamaha which is sweet, but this one has me where it wants me. I went to Guitar Centre expecting to buy a Gibson LP, or an SG and my G/F brought this one to me and said "try it" I did, and about 30 minutes later I was leaving with it under my arm. If something happened I would definitely get a new one (white if I could find it).

I played a few different gigs with it and maybe tweaked one string not even a 16th of a turn. I usually start my sets with a good solid rockabilly number and the tuning held up. Sound was brilliant and caught a lot of people by surprise from the heavy distorted sounds of the previous act's guitar.

From the store, it was set up instantly, intonation, action, etc... Just a quick tuning and it was ready to rock. The tuning pegs are good and secure, frets well positioned. I can't find any flaws with it, of course it is new and hasn't been bumped around by me or hopefully anyone else yet.

It's the butterscotch Telecaster, pretty much a workhorse guitar. Basic Telecaster features, single neck pickup and single bridge, knurled chrome volume and tone control, 3 way top hat selector. It has a 21 fret neck (the Ibanez has 24, but I rarely make it up that high on the neckboard anyway). It looks like re-stringing be a task, but I will find out when the time comes.