Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Purchased from: gift

I play everything, but honestly as presently configured I would not even use this as a backup for my backup. The neck pickup is passable through a JC120 or similar amp that plays well clean. The bridge pickup is garbage - too noisy clean and too muddy when driven.

I play everything, so once I mod this it should be fine. I've been playing for 41 years. As currently configured, I would not replace. The neck is straight and the finish is good, and the frets and bridge are properly placed for correct intonation. Everything else needs to be replaced or modded. It was a gift. I would never have purchased such a thing for myself. What I wish it had it will have. I am replacing the bridge, the machine heads, all of the electronics, scalloping the neck, leveling and dressing the frets, and throwing a Twang King in the neck and a Chopper T in the bridge.

The guitar itself will survive live gigging, but the hardware and electronics are unreliable and poor. The strap buttons will be replaced but I always do that. As currently configured I would not gig this at all. This is a project guitar, nothing more. If the finish were poor I'd give this category a 1.

Action as received = 2, and I am being generous. Pickups were adjusted fine, but they are just weak. Finish is good, electronics stink, frets need to be leveled and rounded. The nut needs to be replaced, as do the machine heads. The saddle is properly set but I do not trust it and will replace it.

It is a standard Telecaster, only of far lower quality. The pickups are very noisy even by single coil standards. The machine heads are really poor. The frets need to be leveled and shaped. The finish is good and it does stay in tune, so those are pluses.