Affinity Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Telecaster

Price paid: € 162

Purchased from: Argos

I alternate between rhythm and lead in my band, who generally play garage rock covers along the lines of The Strokes and The Black Keys. Up til now I've generally played cheap Stratocaster copies, but this beats them in all areas. The Squier mimicks the Fender sound excellently, this guitar makes a very versatile sound, and I can just as easily play a Radiohead cover as a White Stripes one. It's got a much better sound than my other guitarist's Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and tends to be louder as well. I'm running it through a Roland Cube amp, and it sounds bada-s when fed through the various distortions.

I've been playing on cheap Strats since I was 12, and have finally budgeted enough to get this. I'm really happy with it - it's possibly the best value for money on a guitar I've ever had, and is the favorite of my guitars at the moment (I also have an ION IGP04A in sunburst and an SX FST62 in white). I chose a Telecaster because some of my personal heroes - Jonny Greenwood, Russell Lissack etc. Play it. I would not recommend the arctic white finish on this guitar, the butterscotch blonde is better. However, it has that great Tele sound and I'm still really pleased with it. I couldn't ask for anything more.

This guitar will absolutely withstand live playing. In this area it's very good value for money. You just might fool people into thinking you have an actual legitimate telecaster. You can't be too careful though, I'd recommend a backup. In fact, if you're a professional musician, this guitar will make an ideal backup. Everything works, as said previously.

Everything is present and correct. However, when I buy a guitar that's said to be Arctic White I'm sort of expecting a white guitar rather then a yellowy one. It still looks pretty though, and I've been informed this feature is common feature on Squier guitars, so I suppose it isn't a problem.

- Made in China - 21 Fret Maple Neck - Alder Body - "Arctic White" finish (it's really more of a cream or light yellow colour) - Standard singlecut Tele body - One Volume knob, one tone knob, 3-way switch. This guitar was bought new and is perfectly made to a Fender standard, everything works and it sounds as it should. No complaints here.