Avril Lavigne Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Avril Lavigne Telecaster

Price paid: C$ 219.99

Purchased from: Sherwood Music

The sound is fenominal, this guitar sounds amazing no matter what pickup(s) your using. I feel it to be a highbrid of a tele sound although you don't get much of the twangy tele sound but it still sounds bright mixed with a hss Strat or a bullets sound, and you can get a really deep rich tone with a nice brightness to it, or just the brightness, or more of the deeper tone. Everything I've played on this guitar it has managed to sound great at. Punk, metal (I couldn't give it enough distortion it sounds clear with 2 distortions going), rock, hard rock, clasic rock, blues, whatever you want. It has a bit of hum when using a single coil but that's normal and expected. The tonal variety isn't a huge range but is in and of itself because it manages to sound bright like a tele does but can still have a nice thick rich tone, which sounds unbeleivable clean, and distorted no matter what pickup you use.

I play whatever I feel like playing, my bands got some ska songs, some grunge, some punky-alternative stuff, I play everything from Avenged Sevenfold to Lamb Of God to Billy Talent to Led Zepplin to AC/DC to My Chem to Ludo, I think you get the point. I've been playing nearly 5 years and if this guitar were stolen I would be extreamly angry. Would I buy another though? maybe, I think I might get a custom built Fender Tele for my next one though because I like original guitars. I love it's pickups being able to choose between single coils and humbuckers was my main feature I looked for and this guitar was the cheapest I played and had it. I love it's looks, I love everything about it. I don't necesarily hate that it's an Avril Lavigne signature but being a guy I don't really like it however laugh all you want but when I start playing it blows peoples minds all the time. I compared this guitar to every Epiphone Les Paul in the tri-city, oh and every Ibanez, and also Mexican Fenders, along with others. I came to the conclusion Epiphones are the most god awful guitars on earth and Ibanez's are great for metal but I still liked the Tele more for them. I do wish it had a neck pickup the same as it's bridge one or a maple neck just to brighten it up a bit. However I wouldn't use the neck humbucker and it still sounds great.

I changed the strap buttons with strap locks because you can't trust Fender strap buttons they're really horid when your strap ages however besides that I would defenitly use this at a concert. I don't know why people say Squire's are terible I happen to find the quality extreamly good for the price, I find no difference in a Fender and a Squrie I even prefer Squires over Mexican (Mexican is the key word) Fenders because they generaly have hotter pickups. This guitar I know will last however, I use a variety of guitars anyways and would bring all 5 of them giging if I could however for just a quick set I would bring just this one.

This guitar was set up just how I liked it, ahven't changed the factory settings on any of my 3 squires (I own a bullet special strat, and a p-bass as well). The action is great, this is a guitar you can really let go on, I had more fun on this guitar then any I tested in two cities. However there's no inleys on the front of the fingerboard and never owning a Tele means inisialy it's a bit ahrder to play but when you get used to it or when you sit down it's amazing from when you first pick it up. The finish and guitar was flawless, not a single ding on it even from beign a test model but it's not a very desired guitar because of Who backs it. The pickups are extreamly close to the strings, closer then on any guitar I've ever seen but this hasn't proved to be a problem and might help with the brighter tone.

Indonisia made with 22 medium jumbo (I beleive) frets. Rosewood finger board on a maple neck with a basewood body. It' got a nice black finish with a white and black checkered pickgaurd and the standard tele body. It's a string through body bridgge more of a mix between a start and a tele bridge. It's got just a volume control and a 3-way selector. From first looks it looks to have just one humbucker however this is the main reason I bought this guitar it's actualy two single coils described as a dual-coil humbucking pickup so basicaly position one is bridge single coil and position 2 is both and position 3 is the single coil closer to the neck. It's got the Standard Squire hardware from there on though. Although some neat things there's only a star inley on the 5th fret with inleys ontop of the fretboard, a gold squire logo avrils signature on the headstock. However I did not buy this because it's Avril's guitar that's the last reason I'd buy it I bought it because the sound, action and looks not to mention price and quality are mind blowing.

MrFlibble
    For all the negative comments this is going to get just because it says 'Avril Lavigne'... it actually is a good Telecaster, for the price. If only it had a neck pickup too, it would be easily the best Telecaster Squier make.
    emP
    "I came to the conclusion Epiphones are the most god awful guitars" I am glad that your Avril Tele helped you to come to that conclusion. /sarcasm
    Robot99909
    Who cares if its an Avril Lavigne signature. I doubt Arvil had any input on the sound of the guitar. She probably vaguely described the design. If it sounds good and the price is low enough then thats it.
    Bellz06!
    i agree with alot of people above.. leave him alone though.. i ****ing hate avril with a passion but if he likes her and this guitar then so be it. I mean, lets face it.. in the end all this guitar is is a Fender Telecaster with a patterned pickguard, a star inlay, and a signature on the headstock
    ReflectiveGold
    so... you want a normal telecaster?
    Kev91cass
    Fail, with a hint of racism "I even prefer Squires over Mexican (Mexican is the key word)"
    supersonic23
    I could be wrong but has Avril ever played a guitar (Let alone this guitar) live, because last time I checked she doesn't.
    Homeslice91
    the avril tele is for girls who want to start guitar. their made in a shit factory in a 3rd world country so as to keep costs down. lacks a neck pickup so the coil tap is a bit pointless. And although epiphones are low range guitars they are handmade and are based on Gibsons. so god awful is a bit of a bold comment considering you own an avril lavign telecaster and own 5 squires rather than buyin 1 good strat.
    big-boy-mike
    you know you can't really say anything about epiphone unless you actually own one. i have 3, a les paul, an SG, and an explorer, and they all rock, waaayyyyy better than some piece of shit squier from some shitty bint that can't make music. and a single humbucker? (face it, it's a humbucker) come on, get a life.
    dannyboy1992
    id say the majority of people here are thinking because its avril lavignes custom guitar it must be shit i mean what the hell is wrong with her having a custom guitar?
    guitar_hero999
    Twofly : hahahahahaha avril lavigne has her own telecaster model!!!!wtf is this world coming to?! POSTED: 08/27/2008 - 022 am / quote | Thing Is.....She's Making money out of this.....are you?
    jack_demo
    i've played one of these in a music store in liverpool and as much as i'm not a fan of telecasters i'm an avril fan so just thought i'd have a go. and to be honest it's an ALRIGHT guitar. i wouldn't spend money on one, i'd get a gio ibanez or an epiphone instead but if you're a fan of tele's and avril by all means go and buy one. just don't expect it to be amazing because it isn't.
    ReflectiveGold
    i bought this guitar recently. and, i am the first to say, i hate the fact it is by avril lavigne. no way does she deserve a signature. however, in comparison to my other guitars, it's a pretty solid piece. for a start, i think the chequered scratchplate is a really good touch, even if it does mark quite easily. also, i think the inlay is pretty cool, despite the fact it takes away the position markers. it does leave them on the side on the neck tho. also, the humbucker is tapped, giving three choices of pickup sounds, which is more than enough. however, i think that if there was a neck pickup, this would be a brilliant guitar, rather than quite good. the sound, as the reviewer said, can be ajusted to anything you like. personally, i play in rock and metal styles, and i find that this is more than adiqute for everything for chords to pinch harmonics. but, however, as i have said, this guitar isnt brilliant, but, in a pinch is by far good enough for a first, second or even third guitar
    LambOfFoden
    AAAHAHAHAAAA. rediculous. why is this even on here? avril couldn't tune a guitar, much less come up with the input to make one. 'um, yah, it'd be totally kewl if we took this stock one and made it checkered like my sneakers, and i could just sign it over here, and yah. that'd work. totally.' and sorry kid, but its hard to justify saying you'd buy a custom tele (how many g's?$?$$) after this. if yur happy with that, you cant tell the difference.
    The_lizard_king
    Geddy Lee also has a signature fender bass. I think it's a jazz bass but I could be wrong but he does have a signature.
    seanie!
    I came to the conclusion Epiphones are the most god awful guitars on earth
    But and Indonesian made Squier somehow scored a 9.4? This kid needs to learn what the hell he's talking about before trying to write a review.
    MrFlibble
    I love how this guitar has been out for nigh-on a YEAR, and yet some people still can't believe it even exists... what's even more amazing is how many of you are dense enough to not realise the reason she has a signature guitar is because it'll sell well and make Squier more money . That's all it comes down to.
    StratDune wrote: Ok. I like Squier. I like Tele. I hate Avril Lavigne. Now, does this signature guitar means that slut only choose the colour design and all? or did she also contribute majorly on its specifications and sound? (I don't trust this fanboy's review) If its the former, then i don't think there's much problem. but if it's the latter, well... Then again, how much does avril know about guitar sounds and specs
    Actually, she apparently knows quite a lot. At least, she knows enough that she's her own guitar tech. Though as far as this guitar goes, I expect she contributed nothing at all. Squier knocked something together, she said OK, and away they went.
    skvvisgaar wrote: Hmmm, seems like the reviewer is serious, though probably not very smart. a Yamaha tele copy has a 4 pc. alder body (not crappy basswood), 2 tele style pickups, a volume and a TONE KNOB (something every guitar needs, no exception), and it costs less than $220 if you buy one used (I got one for $50).
    Well, 1) Basswood isn't 'crappy', in terms of basic quality it's just as good as any alder, mahogany, ash or maple body. Especially in the late 70's, all the 80's and early 90's, basswood was very popular for guitar bodies for it's sonic quality, being between mahogany and alder, and for it's lighter weight. As for tone knobs, no, not every guitar needs to have them. Many people prefer to have as few controls as possible, so the output from the guitar is as pure and full as possible. One of the most popular guitars ever, the Kramer super-Strats, often had just one angled bridge humbucker and one volume control. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's pointless, baseless, ill-informed hate...
    Twofly
    StratDune
    guitarfreak222
    Rugby Rocker wrote: banshee8831 : wish that fender was making mexican series of this.squier is sooo bad to play. i own a squier and it is just as good to play as my m8's custom schecter. nothing wrong with squiers.
    You're joking right? If you're not, obviously you know nothing about good guitars... lol
    Shovelhandle
    I got to say, to much hate on this review. Not a lot of intelligent responces. What kind of music are all you haters into, anyway? The three way switch is used to control tone by selecting either one or both of the single poles (tapped humbucker). It plays and sounds fine, pretty bright unless you compensate with the amp controls, then you can fatten the sound up some. I doesn't look 'girly' at all. The signature is miniscule. It's black. wtf? I replaced the pickguard with a mint Esquire pickguard. As far as getting my ass kicked if I played one in public? Hehe, I do not think so. People have had signature products of every friggin thing. Sports gear, music gear, clothes, products for children all the way to adults. It's no reason to get upset. I've been playing since 1964 and have owned many, many great axes. Lots of Fenders and at least five US Telecasters. I don't have much money now so I play a Squire Strat and this Tele. Back when I was learning it was very, very difficult to find a guitar of this quality for this price, even back then! Shovelhandle
    Levi79
    Fluorescent
    wowowow avril lavigne is sooo cool!!!!! NOT. go and listen to some Alice in Chains
    GuitarPlayer716
    Come on, don't be so harsh. She has written soooo many great songs, like...well...there was that one...oh, wait, no she hasn't. Mostly because she doesn't write her own shit. This review is summed up by one word: FAIL!!!
    Blazn Blue
    I have 7 spelling errors and at least 3 run-on sentences in your first paragraph. Might want to use the spell check button.
    kevinego
    i like avril lol, and i dont mind the guitar, but i highly doubt it can pull off lamb of god really well like you said.. it might not be a great guitar but it's worth the price
    vhersus
    PLEASE someone could send me a photo of the circuitry of the guitar, I gave it without wires, with only 5 wires coming out of the humbucker but not where they go and squier diagram has five but three cable and switch has 8 instead of 7. My address is frjmb@yahoo.es THANK YOU!! A photo or drawing with each cable and color would be great.
    GangsterLi
    ReflectiveGold wrote: Mprinsje wrote: if it wasn't an avril guitar i would buy it... and if it had a normal scratchplate so... you want a normal telecaster?
    lol
    Mprinsje
    Do Re Mi
    Agreed. Squiers aren't terrible at all.
    Coldmystery
    So the Avril may not be my favorite guitar but it is freeking sweet. It has a great sound and feels pretty ok.
    kevinego
    Levi79 wrote: seriously, who gives a **** if it says avril lavigne on it, it looks ****ing sweet
    ****ing right man, you can barely even see where it says avril on it
    kevinego
    tallicafan91 wrote: randyaintdead82 wrote: ok so why does AVRIL FLIPPIN LAVINGE get a signature guitar when people from like Rush, Queensrhyche or Mastodon should have their own guitars exactly what I was going to ask... why does she have a signature guitar when she can barely play 3 chords???
    alex lifeson and geddy lee both have signature instruments