Bullet Special review by Squier

Squier: Bullet Special

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

The sound is what you would expect from a guitar in the $100 range, it'll do fine running through a decent to good amp but dont expect miracles from your 10watt practice amp. I'm running it through a Traynor YCV40 and a DF7 Distortion Factory pedal and have no complaints. Theres no noise when the volume is down to 0 and the amp's not in standby, something lacking in my other guitars. You've got 1 humbucker in the bridge position, it's more versitile than you think so use your imagination, your not stuck with any one musical style with this guitar. But again it's not great for every style.

You guys play punk rock? Me too and it's great for it, I've never owned a guitar with more than 1 pickup and havn't had a complaint yet. If punk is your thing, this is a guitar I highly recommend, it's so easy to play and won't turn begginers off who are trying to learn. Theres more love than hate with this guitar, I hate the tuners and even the volume pot could be smoother but other than that theres nothing I don't love. I'd buy another one in a hearbeat if it were stolen or were lost in a fire or whatever. This is one of those gems that begginers to expierenced players can benefit from, it's so cheap but you wouldn't know it from looking at it or playing it. I was so surprised at the quality, but what can you expect from a company backed by Fender?

This guitar is a rock, super light which is great for people who move on stage and the hardware should last a long time (the tuners might last forever but won't keep your guitar in tune for more than an hour, so change them). The strap buttons are solid and are a much better design than some I've seen on some Les Pauls, you almost don't need straplocks, but I put them on anyway. I'd say gig it without a backup, but if your super paranoid than maybe bring a backup, but I can't see why you would need one.

The action was wicked high for me, but maybe not for someone else, but it's easily changed, and it came with those wimpy Fender strings, I think there 9's or something, pretty thin. The finish is flawless as far as I can see and you can easily slide up and down the neck. The pickup height was fine but the pole peices arn't adjustable, I might complain but I dont know how to properly adjust them anyway.

This beauty was made in Indonesia and features a maple neck and I couldn't tell you what the body is made of but it is light as hell, such a change from my Les Paul. It's got 21 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard that on mine looks stained or lightly painted on the top to darken it, not sure about that but whatever still looks fine. It's got a great blue metallic finish and works well with the chrome hardware. It has a hard tail non tremelo bridge which is great for people that dont like knocking there guitar out of tune all the time. The pickup is ok, great for the price, and has a much better clean tone than the distortion happy SD Invader I have in my other guitars which is what I was looking for. I'm going to replace the pickup down the line but for now it's a welcome change. The tuners? forget about it, they suck and need to be replaced if your at all serious about playing the guitar on a regular basis. The stripped down look of it makes me think of the Tom DeLonge Strat, and who doesn't love that guitar? This is a great starting guitar but still great for someone more expierienced.

OttovanZanten
    this is pretty much the same as the Tom de Longe (or somthing) strat isn't it? also a duncan design SH-8 humbucker.. "Unfortunately it doesn't have switchable distortion." er?? it's a guitar, not an amp