Bullet Special review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Bullet Special

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Even though it is a simple guitar it suits my rock/punk music style really well with the humbucker, but I am also using a Line6 Spider II 15 with it so the amp channels greatly improve it. Because it doesnt't have single coils it isn't noisy at all, I don't get any feedback on any channels and that is one thing that pleased me. It has good variety in sounds but as I said that may be my amp doing the job. I must say though that for $99 CAN you would think this would be a crap guitar but it has much better sound than expected. The 2 things I found not so good was the sustain on certain channels and it doesnt't stay in tune very long (no more than 1 or 2 good practices tops) due to the lower end parts, but still overall good.

Overall it is a good match to my simplish punk rock style, even tougher and more demanding music as well. I bought this as my beginner first guitar and it has done a good job of that, now I would like to invest in a new one but I would definitey recommed it to beginning guitarists who don't have a lot of cash to spare. I like it's versatility in terms of styles but not so much the lack of features. I have played friends squire strats and I personally prefer the Bullet to them, to me it feels better and has better sustain but that may just come with working it in.

This guitar will be ok Live but if you are playing something like it it would be nice to have a backup just because it is so light that it feels not too durable, but it has taken a few bumps from myself and has seemed to stand up fine to all that. The only piece of hardware that would ever concern me is the bridge because at one point I had a problem with the screws always coming loose. It took a while to get it sorted out but eventually I got them to stay in there, but I wouldn't want that failing on me while performing.

The first Bullet I picked up for some reason was electronically a dud, so that was disappointing coming from squire, but the one I picked up later was set up well, haven't had any issues with the patch cord input or the knob or strings, but I found coming from the factory the strings were set quite high. The finish was perfect when I got it but the body and pickguard scratch quite easily, not noticable from a distance but definitely up close, but the finish has been great and hasn't worn yet after about a year.

Overall I find this guitar doesn't have a whole lot of features, I mean one pickup and 1 volume knob? Pretty basic, however good for the beginner, I bought this as my first guitar and it's definitly easy on the wallet. The humbucker is good for my punk rock style, however it plays good clean as well.

guitarmakerpugh
    i agree with this dude^ the guitar sucks, and needs heavy modification, like taking out the neck, the electronics, the hardware, and the body!, oh wait, that dosent leave anything... still sounds better.
    nAILZ
    it's a squier! what can you expect? it's for kids who are just learning! it's still pretty brutal though.
    Hart_Attack
    adslam3
    this was my first electric guitar back in the day. i loved the hell out of it but now i look at it and i think "how did i get music out of you?" haha...either way, it was a fun guitar to learn on. and you get what you pay for..oh memories hahaha
    payay
    Even for experienced guitar players this is a good guitar if yout modify it to your wishes. Just put in new pick-ups and better tuning knobs and you have a great guitar for less than half the money yout spent on more expensive guitars... simple
    bluntstrike
    Hart_Attack wrote: interesting how about 60 percent of the reviews that were put up play punk so i'm assuming that this beginner guitar would suit the punk kids. i say, save up and get a dean vendetta XM thats about 100 bucks and from what my friend says "Alot better than squier guitars under $150"
    the dean vendeta xmt, which costs 150, doesnt mean it is a guitar for beginners. . yeah, its cheap, but its great. .
    moonwilson
    I bought one of these a few years ago, because it was super cheap and looked cool, and honestly, it was the WORST guitar I've ever played. The neck would bend so much from regular playing that the strings would fret out- either buzzing or stopping completely. What a joke! The Squier Bullet has the dubious distinction of being the one guitar I've returned in my lifetime. Oh, and lest I forget, the pickup sounds awful- the tone is complete garbage, no matter what you play it through. Total piece of junk.
    maiden_mexico
    THIS GUITAR IS MADE OUT OF PLYWOOD this was my first guitar i thought it was so cool but looking back i realize it was a piece of shit
    rabryant
    i think its awsome it was cheap simple and easy to play i made a few mods such as changing the pick up to a dimarzio PAF pro which improved it greatly but overall the best punk guitar i have had as i generally go for the cheaper ranges due to my ability to break everything i touch!!