Bullet Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Bullet Strat

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Kosmic

This guitar suits ALL music styles (yes, even the heaviest of heavy metal). A pedal here or there may be required BUT without the fancy sounds the Strat shows versatility in both playability and electronics. I have used many different amps with this, from a simple Squire starter amp (can't remember the model, it broke a month after I got it) to a Marshall MS2. From a Fender 212R FM to a Marshall Haze. From a Microphone tied to the bridge pickup with duct tape to a massive 100w all tube power Randel head connected to twin cabinets. In all of these amps this guitar has risen to the task and played whatever genre I ask it to, from classical amplified to death metal. Noisy? Only if you want it to be. This guitar seems to know what you do and dont want by the way you set up your amp. For example, I would have it on clean and this baby would Shine through like the lights form heaven. Switch to overdrive and this beast crunches its way through riff after riff. Kick it up to overdrive II and turn up the gain; you got yourself a deadly weapon Satan himself would be scared to handle. Ripping open lick after mother f--king lick, shredding like theres no tomorrow! With the flick of the pedal your back to sparkling cleans. Versatile does not even BEGIN to describe this axe.

I have a wide style of music, mainly Blues, Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal and Rock and Roll. This guitar could handle any of those genres. I have been playing for about two years now and I own three other guitars (A classical, Gibson SG, and Epiphone Tribute Les Paul 2010). I wish I had asked "Will this guitar be suitable for me for all my guitar career?" That way I would have spent less time saving up for the "dream guitar" or the "perfect guitar" (come on, we've all got one) that stares us in the eye every time we walk past it, but the tough thing is when we get that guitar and we play it and we love it; there's another one right next to it. If it were stolen or lost I would eventually buy another one. It wouldn't be high on my to do list as I have two other electrics that are sufficient but eventually I would buy it again, might get single coils in the bridge the second time round. There's not much I hate about it, I remember when i started I hated ALL guitars (mainly this one coz I owned it) because I couldn't play the songs I wanted to. I love its versatility, its "Yes Man" factor as I call it. It will play whatever, whenever. I compared it to a couple of Fenders (of course when it got to the higher priced fenders I stopped there, that was out of my Squires league). I have also compared it in sound to other brands such as ESP (and their copy guitars as well) and Gibson and Epiphone. I wish it had coil splitters, that would be good. And I would also like it if some of the Bullet Strats came with floyd rose, that way more metal players would buy this and realize how awesome it is.

If this guitar can withstand by tantrums at beginning guitar and my ruthless attempts at customization is can survive anything (well, except being played by the who)! The Hardware will last a good time, but like all guitars it will need a setup later down the road. Strap buttons also need a little tightening now and then. You could rely on it at a gig without backup, only dangers being a broken string or faulty cable. But as long as this guitar is shown some loving and treated well with regular "check ups" (checks for things that may need to be repaired or set up). The finish is really good. I remember when I first started my lessons my teacher gave me a copy of his Iron Man by Black Sabbath song book and I literally sweated over the solo. It killed me. My brain was tired and so were my fingers, and still the neck is fine and playable and the paint hasn't even showed signs of wearing any time soon.

I cannot say whether the guitar was setup well from the factory. I know in my day I have experimented with this guitar "tweaked" it here and there. And still, when I screw it all up and I say to myself "Jimmi, you've f--ked up your guitar again!" Old Stratty looks up at me and says "Oh, forget it. We all screw up sometimes. It ain't that bad." And when I plug ol' Stratsinator in he sings like nothing happened. The only flaw in this guitar is that it is often overlooked (I myself fall guilty of this). I remember I wanted a Gibson SG so bad, I believed it was the ULTIMATE in guitars (and I will say this, it ain't a crap guitar). When I got it I dumped this axe and went to my new one. Later down the track I realised just how much this axe has done for me (you wanna know when, right now. As I right this review. It has opened my eyes to the true beauty of my Stratocastor). Of course, nowadays all the kids want their EMGs and Floyd Roses and what not. Thats all cool, but this guitar is PERFECT for a beginner and with a little customization can shit all over these so called "super strats". Only real issue is the input jack comes loose a bit (not to bad, just requires a little tightening now and then. Although I think this is unique to my guitar).

Hey, This is my FIRST ever reveiw so please give me constructive comments and tips, Cheers. The Squire Bullet Stratocastor was my first guitar. Its a great guitar, I would recommend it to any beginning guitarist. I would also recommend it to an advanced guitarist who is not exactly "loaded". For the price paid it is a very good guitar. I don't know the exact year of my guitar (it was a gift for me birthday from my Dad back when I was 11 or 12). There are 21 Frets (I think they're jumbo frets, they still fit my fingers today). I can't remember the woods used as I got it when I started playing guitar and I wasn't aware of the different woods, but according to the Squire.com it should have Basswood (42mm) and the neck should be maple. The Finish is Black, plain and simple. The bridge is a Synchronous Tremolo with Cast Saddles. Passive Electronics. Volume and tone knobs, 5 way pickup selector. A hum-bucker at the bridge, and two single coils (neck and middle). As I mentioned before, I took no note of the pickup types so, again, according to the site they should be 1 Hum bucking pickup (bridge) and 2 single coil Strat (C) Pickups (neck/mid). Tuner's are standard. Came with a gig bag and strap. Just to clarify I actually have a Squire Bullet Strat HSS (all thats different is I got a hum-bucker in the bridge).

extra heavy
    I used to have one of these then sold it. Later I bought my friends bullet and it was the first one I attempeted to re finish giving it a darker stain and after upgrading the saddles and switching on a pickup its actually a pretty good guitar.