California Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: California Fat Strat

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Go West Music

I play almost every style, but have most playing experience in grunge/hard rock/metal genres. This guitar plays brilliantly! I have used it through various amps, including a Marshall, a Vox and a Peavey Stack and it never fails to dissapoint! It has a wide sound potential and can sound anything from the roughest of rough to the cleanest of clean. Using the right combination of pickups and effects, you can make almost anything sound professional on this guitar. I was absolutely blown away! Whether you play Punk or Blues, or Funk or Jazz, this guitar will have you up for hours!

Musicians of all styles, types and experiences should buy one of these babies if ever the opportunity presents itself. I have had this guitar for about two years and it has been played solidly every day for a year and a half. I was originally NOT going to buy this guitar, because I thought I was being scammed into buying a cheap piece of dirt... but this is perhaps the BEST purchase of a guitar I have ever made. I love almost everything about it, except for the fact that I can't find a natural-left so there are some limits of the restringing. It's sound and playability will be unmatched for its price. I was originally going to buy a Cort EVL over this, however I fell in love with the sound and presence of this guitar almost instantly. If I could, I'd buy a whole wall of these... but they are becoming harder to find. Do yourself a favour, buy one and never look back!

This guitar will most definitley withstand Live playing. It will also withstand hundreads of beatings and abrasions and defacings without any hinderance in performance quality. The hardware WILL last! If it has survived 2 years of terror from me, it will last a whole lot more from players Who don't intend on having a ruthless looking guitar. If you have one of these bad boys that is strung in it's intended fashion, it absolutely could gig on its own! No questions asked. But because mine is restrung and the cutaway now limits the fretboard movement, I use this primarily as a rhythm guitar. The solos do sound absolutely magical though! The finish is pure and clean and doesn't seem to wear off easily. Not even after it's been dragged along the ground and smashed into walls. This is one of the most reliable and durable guitars I have ever played.

This guitar seems to have been made almost perfectly. No major complaints. The pickups are marvelous. It has two single-coils and a humbucker to the bridge end. This guitar (has) and can take one hell of a smashing. I use this guitar EVERYWHERE. It is my travelling guitar. It's purpose is to take a beating and be subjected to many conditions - but still be able to perform at a Killer level. It does that and so much more! This guitar could last you a lifetime! There are two problems I have had with this guitar however...Firstly - The bridge was initially loose. However this was quickly resolved. I gave it a good ol' adjusting and it has stayed perfect ever since. Secondly - (This was my fault,) but this guitar once fell from a stage to a concrete floor below. and the fretwire on the 8th fret popped out. Because of this I have not played this guitar in about 5 months because the guitar shop cannot find a piece of fretwire to fit. The strap buttons are perfect and sturdy, and the hardware is otherwise flawless.

This guitar looks extremely nice. It has a beautiful Shine to it and I was instantly hooked. I'm a lefty and brought a white right-handed and strung it backwards, none the less, it is still bad ass. My version has a rosewood neck with 21 frets and a whamy bar. The cutaway can be limiting due to the fact that mine is restrung, but it is awesome none-the-less. It orignally came with two tone knobs and a volume knob. Again, doing left-handed modifications, I removed the two tone knobs and moved the volume knob to the very front so that the volume would not be turned down accidently by my arm. It has a 5-Way selecter with absolutely amazing pickups and sound, I have put this guitar through hell, litterally to make it unique. It has scratches and dents and home-made drawings on it, and it looks brutal. This is by far my favourite guitar.