California Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: California Telecaster

Purchased from: Perfect Pitch.

I play a variety of styles ranging from Carlos Santana and Led Zep to something like Alexisonfire and Saosin and it suits some of them well. I play it through a Vox AD50VT or a Roland JC 20 depending on what the situation calls for. Some of the time it can get pretty noisy(mostly because it's a single/single guitar.). This guitar can make shimmering cleans to semi-distorted, crunchy chords with little difficulty. Be prepared for loads of feedback on the latter, though.

I play screamo to jazz and this guitar suits the "lighter" side of what I play. I've been playing for a little over 1 and 1/2 years and own a PRS Billy Martin SE, a Vox AD50VT, a Roland JC20 and a Maxon talk machine. I just wished I knew more about guitars when I bought this and asked for the wood material. I was planning to mod this guitar but when I found out it was made of Agathis, It kind of killed off my plans lol. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another guitar. Something tailored more to me. I compared it to a Squier Strat and a Washburn X10 and beat the Strat and Washburn in cleans but lost only slightly to the Washburn in distorted tones. I wish it was made with something like Alder or Basswood. Overall, a very good beginners guitar.

I've gigged with it once and it looks to me that the guitar would defifinitely survive lots of gigs. I can see some corrosion on a part of the bridge, though. The strap buttons are decent. I put straplocks on just to be sure. The finish looks and feels good. Don't think it'll wear off anytime soon. I'd definitely depend on this guitar. This is my backup, though. My PRS being my main guitar.

The guitar was surprisingly well set-up for a Squier. Action was nice and low enough, bridge was well in place, pickups were adjusted fine. Couldn't see any flaws except that the tone knob and the pickup selector were a little loose. Good job on Squier's part.

The Squier cali series was made in 2004. The neck's a nice maple with a rosewood fret board with 21 frets. Mine's in three-tone sunburst and is made of Agathis most likely. Obviously a tele-style guitar with an ashtray bridge. Has two single coil pickups with black pickup covers on them. The controls are a 3-way pickup selector and volume and tone knobs. Pickups are your bog-standard Squier singles which kind of suck. Stock Squier tuners. Mine came with a padded gig bag.

C40.is.hot
    I need to know what wood materials were used in the body because im not too sure? Does anybody know?
    bgarnham
    the bullet series (i think) has a better sound that the california series i have the option of buying a bullet strat or a california stratocaster and i select the bullet because it has an harmonic sound
    Kirdy
    lol read the frekin review it's agathis ok! zack nice work on the review man i gave it a helpful click!
    red-rum
    i have one of these and actualy is one of my favorite guitars its a excelent guitar for pimping XD just change that pickups and the nut and its killer