Classic Vibe 50's Duo-Sonic review by Squier

Squier: Classic Vibe 50's Duo-Sonic

Purchased from: Tuscaloosa Music Service

The Duo-Sonic suits the lighter things I play quite well (psychedelic rock, garage rock, shoegaze) while still maintaining a bit of bite for stuff with higher gain. I use this guitar with my Line 6 Flextone III. The guitar is very quiet, no hissing and very little audible hum, which was quite surprising for a guitar with single coil pickups. In the bridge position, the Duo-Sonic can go from twangy Tele-ish sounds to biting rock tones. In the middle positions, chords have a round, warm quality without being overly harsh in the high end, or too loose in the low end. The neck position, however, can be a bit boomy and lack high end.

Overall, the Duo-Sonic is a very nice mid-range instrument. If somebody stole this guitar, I would hunt them down and beat them with a large blunt object. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase, and if I had to change one thing, I'd swap the 3-saddle bridge for a 6-saddle one. I compared it to several other Classic Vibe Squier models before I bought it, including the 50's Tele, and the Duo-Sonic topped it easily. If you're looking for a guitar in the 275-350 dollar range for lighter styles of music, the Duo-Sonic should rate pretty high on your list.

This guitar is a workhorse. Nothing feels cheap about it at all, the strap buttons seem solid, and the finish has been resistant to any wear so far. The input jack hasn't come loose, and the bridge is odd, but workable. The tuners are solid, and the guitar stays in tune quite well. (I've subjected it to tunings as low as A#) I have gigged with it before, and I have enough Faith in it to use it without a backup if I have to.

I was very pleasantly surprised with how the guitar was set up. The action was low, with little to no fret buzz. I had expected to swap out the pickups, but the stock ones are pretty good. Nothing fantastic, but they aren't terrible. The fretwork is superb, nothing feels out of alignment, and the frets aren't sticking off the sides of the guitar, which is always a good sign. The finish was flawless with the exception of two small blemishes on the guitar, one just past the 20th fret and the other on the headstock.

This is guitar is a Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic. It has 21 frets, a maple neck and fretboard, and a basswood body. It has a body style similar to the Fender Mustang, with a Telecaster style 3-saddle bridge. The guitar has two single coil pickups. It has one volume and one tone knob, with a three way pickup selector. Nothing new or exciting here, just a solid, reliable design.

Wulver
    tele-rat
    Always been a fan of Mustang style bodied guitars, i had a mustang for a while, but it never did the trick sound-wise, was never beefy enough, even after i put a seymour duncan jb jr. humbucker in the bridge, but the feel of that guitar was great.... Anyways, being that i work at a music store, we often scoff at anything marked Squire, however, i've noticed in the past year or so that they've been making some really cool looking guitars (like this awesome looking axe) that actually play very well and sound pretty darn good too. As always gentleman, try before you buy, but this one (as by the very intelligent review) seems to be worth the time to give it a shot.
    kangaxxter
    I've actually played a Squier Duo-sonic, and as a big time Squier supporter, I can safely say there's a reason why Fender discontinued the Duo-Sonic. This guitar is bad. Like really really really bad. The body weight and finish make it feel like lightweight plastic, they've got those really sticky gloss neck finishes and the pick-ups are low output and really "tinny", like someone threw a blanket over your amp. If you can afford this, save up and buy a Jagmaster, which are infinitely better.
    M4RK3H
    People seem to only care about the name, i think the guitar looks lush. I would love to get one in the future, the squier guitars just need to be set up. Thanks for Review. BTW: I ain't going to save until im 50 for a Gibson 335, so im getting a cheap one. Screw you all.
    cxrlxscr
    I'm GAS'ing so hard for one of these. It looks so damn awesome, and looks like a good start for modding. Upgrade the hardware, throw in some cream Lace Sensors or EMGs and perhaps a new 24.75" neck from Warmoth and it would be an excellent axe.
    travislausch
    ProgFolk12 wrote: Wulver wrote: Squier's gotten really good recently with this Classic Vibe line, easily on-par if not better than MiM Fenders. Played the Duo-Sonic a few times in shops, really do like it. This. Anyone who goes "Squiers are teh sucks" really needs to play some, I'm looking at you Epi Explorer. Yeah they're hit and miss, yes they make some plain bad low end stuff, but as mentioned there are some very very good squiers out there
    I got a Stagemaster-7 seven-string, and it'll kick your fixed-bridge Ibanez's seven-string's ass.
    Smokey_Bear91
    I actually own a Squier Duo Sonic and i've played with my old guitar teacher who plays a vintage Fender Mustang, and i have to say overall the quality of the tone of the guitar it's self is pretty good compared to the latter. and might i say that Squier lately in these past few years have really kicked up the production value of what you buy. Which is more than any Epiphone player could say.
    Morrie2995
    my 80's squire, which i think was..$250, i swear is better than the high end epiphones and the low end gibsons i've played.
    The^Unforgiven
    SayHello2Heaven wrote: You know, I've got an 84 Squire Strat that peats the pants off of my roommates 05 MiM Strat.
    Mind you, the old 80's Squiers, as I've come to understand, are actually somewhat of a rarity, and generally much appreciated. And I don't think that Squiers are that bad. Sure, if you buy a guitar for like $150, don't expect them to be nothing but bad... but I bet that a lot of Squier loathers would be surprised to if they had a Fender and found they still experience a lot of the same problems with it. Guitars need proper set-up and maintenance; Squiers or Fenders are not an exception.
    SayHello2Heaven
    You know, I've got an 84 Squire Strat that peats the pants off of my roommates 05 MiM Strat. Mind you, anyone who makes their screen name after an epiphone isn't going to know much about guitars
    KurdtStaley
    Yeah in support of the Squire, I have a Made In India strat, and aside from the placement of the nut, it's better than my MiM Fenders. The hardware and electronics are better than anything MiM. After awhile I adjusted the setup for 10-52's (Ernie ball slinky top heavy bottom) and the action with those strings is great. With 9-42's it's bad though because the low E end of the nut is so much higher than the high E that it's like lopsided without the big hybrid strings. And what Squire costs 300 pounds? The most expensive Squire I've seen which is the one I have costs $350 USD.. You must be a real idiot to pay 600 dollars for a Squire and on top of that get a crappy one.
    EpiExplorer
    ProgFolk12
    EpiExplorer wrote: I had a squier strat that was worth 300. SUCKED.
    Yes, SOME squiers are bad. However, I have played some lovely classic vibes, as well as jagmasters and some affinity models that were very very good. Ok you got a lemon, what do you expect from largely Chinese/Indian made guitars made down to a very low price? Also what strat did you have that cost 300? I got my MIM for 225...
    wolfwood_9
    I dont like the way squier and fender make their necks the more expensive guitars with 22 frets and less expensive with 21 aside from atrists guitars who choose 21. :\
    Survivalism
    EpiExplorer wrote: I had a squier strat that was worth 300. SUCKED.
    In case you haven't noticed, that's not the guitar we're discussing here.
    EpiExplorer
    I had a squier strat that was worth 300. SUCKED.
    ProgFolk12
    DonJulio
    looks like a pretty cool guitar... i would never go for a squier strat or tele, but maybe those special models are alright
    zapatista89
    i aso agree high end squiers (you no what i mean) are actually alright for what they are.
    KurdtStaley
    Who cares if it's a Squire? If you want a Duo-Sonic it's hard to find one otherwise. I just bought a MiM one from 94' which happens to be amazing. I just love the short scale neck. I would of bought a Squire if I didn't find that. If the neck is decent, it alone is worth the cost of the guitar. Fender necks on ebay are outrageously expensive I bet a Duo-Sonic MiM one would be like 300-500 dollars easy, if you even find one. I don't know where else you can find a neck like that... plus Fender makes the best necks.
    hardrox
    EpiExplorer wrote: The reason why there are so few comments is because Squiers generally arent worht the bother. And why subject a poor squier to A#? ;_;
    I wouldn't say that squiers are not worth it. They have some good beginner/intermediate models and are good for those still learning or on a budget.