Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster

Purchased from: PMT

The Telecaster is famed for it's ability to suit many music styles, and even this cheaper model lives up to it's more expencive counterparts standards. I play many differing genres and this guitar manages to achieve the requirements needed with little effort. With the neck pickup you get a very distinct blues tone which is suited for Guns N' Roses and Cream. The bridge pickup gives a clean "twangy" tone which is great for Frusciante/Red Hot Chili Peppers style playing. With a few Standard effects it is easy to get a very good metal/heavy tone, stuff like Tom Morello's (Rage Against The Machine) signature sound.

To conclude my review I would like to say that over the years of playing guitar I have played many Telecasters and this one manages to stand up against the likes of Fender American Standard models and sound almost identical. For the 200 I payed for it I am highly impressed, even though it does have a few minor faults I can safely say it is one of my favourite guitars.

The strap buttons are well fitted, this guitar is fine to play Live (which I have done) and I haven't had any problems with the electronics. However I have had a few issues with tuning pegs on the guitar, the tuning peg on the high e string seems to be weak causing the string to de-tune after playing. The finish is also easily chipped due to the paint being quite thin, after five days I had already chipped the back very slightly.

The guitar's action was a little high to begin with but that was easily solved, the tuning pegs are a little loose but it isnt noticeable, the pickups were at optimal height and the bridge was perfectly routed. The nut was cut perfectly and the electronics are stable and well built.

This guitar was made in 2009 and manufactured in China, it has 21 medium-jumbo frets, the neck is maple and has a gloss polyester finish which gives it an almost "laminated" feel which is great to hold and play on. The body is pine and has a very thin blonde paint coating which allows you to see the wood grain, (this is one of my favorite features). Because it is based on the 50's model "blackcaster" it has many Vintage features, it has a Vintage style strings-thru-body bridge with 3 brass barrel saddles and has Vintage style tuning machines. It has the Standard Tele pickup configuration, and has both tone and volume control. The pickups are 2 custom single-coil Alnico III's.

byngx
    koalabacon wrote: ew... its squier
    yeah man ive been looking at this and fenders and who cares about the name - its an equal guitar esp. for the price
    christopher c
    I tried a classic vibe tele could not believe how great it played and sounded. I owned guitars in the 2000.00+ price range and this keeps up with no problem. Go try oneyou will loveit,,way to go Fender.
    The^Unforgiven
    I've been wanting a tele for a long time now, but I don't have the money to blow it on an American Fender, but this one I could afford... I've heard and read a lot of good about this particular model, and I do have to say, It looks sexy as hell...
    henkjanwiegers
    I own a classic vibe '50s tele for almost a year now. I played like 50 different guitars since then and this one really stands out. Its quality matches the qualitiy of the Fender Baja telecasters, in my opinion, which are more expensive. The sounds great and the pickups seem to be quite noiseless, no humming whatsoever. I recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a tele.