Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster

Purchased from: Rock Around The Clock

I have a fairly varied music style which goes spans all the way through from Indie and punk to hard rock and metal (think The Libertines and Green Day to Metallica and Slipknot) and my favourite feature of this guitar is the versatility in sound that can be achieved. More recently I have began to move away from the metal scene and further toward the sort of scene that the tele feels at home with and for that the bright, sharp and crystal clear sound that comes from that pick ups is perfect for just about anything that I throw at it. The puck ups are single coil, so when an individual pick up is selected, on a high gain channel, there can be a bit of buzz, however this is nothing too major for me. So as to give this guitar a further increased level of versatility, I am soon investing in kitting it out with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for the bridge, giving that extra, high-output humbucker sound available for whenever it is called upon.

Like I previously said, this guitar's versatility suits all of the styles that I am currently mainly playing. I have been playing for two years and own an acoustic, a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and I owned a Tokai SG. The strangest thing is that I compared this guitar side by side with the 389 Fender Telecaster Standard and I found that this guitar surpasses that Fender Standard in every category - the only reason why anyone would spend the extra 170 is simply for the pure snob factor of the logo at the top of the headstock. If this guitar was stolen or lost or whatever other disasters that may strike I would buy another without hesitation. All in all for me, this guitar has everything from the Killer stunning Telecaster looks to the versatility to handle practically anything that one wants to play on it. This guitar simply sums up my love for the Telecaster.

I bought this guitar today so obviously, I am yet to gig with it but I had played on it so many times at the shop I bought it from (pretty much once a week - the guy who owns the shop is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to fixing guitars, plus he is a licensed Fender dealer) so I have a great view on how the hardware is built to last. It can definitely withstand live playing, though I would not be one to ever play without a backup.

The guitar is a complete dream. I cannot find a single flaw anywhere! The action and general set up was pretty low, which I like and all frets are completely buzzless. Everything is top-draw and looks like it will last. The finish is also flawless and I just love the thinness of the paint that shows the natural grain of the wood beneath it. Beautiful guitar!

This guitar was made, I think, in 2009 and manufactured in China. It has the classic Telecaster 21 medium-jumbo frets and a neck with a gloss polyester finish that, as a friend of mine put it: "looks good enough to eat". The body has a beautiful coating consisting of a very thin blonde paint which allows you to see the grain of the beautiful pine body. The controls are Standard for the telecaster, with a 3-way selector and a single tone and volume knob. The pickups sound rich and full of that well sought after tele tone (which is what I was looking for, accompanied with its sheer beauty, when I decided to buy the guitar) that comes from two custom AlNiCo 3 pickups. The guitar comes with other 'vintage' features such as the black pick guard, a three brass saddle bridge and Vintage style tuners.