Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster

Guitar has some nice variety in tone between the two pickups, with the neck a nice, warm tone and a bit of a more Strat-like sound on the bridge pickup. I'm using it with an Acoustic G10 and a Danelectro Honeytone. The volume pickup only works over about 70% of its range, with the bottom third all being off.

This is a great guitar, maybe a bit pricey for a 2nd guitar, but I'm really happy with the sound. It's a great improvement over the little half sized guitar I had before. If the guitar were stolen, I'd definitely want to get another of this guitar but I'd probably end up with a $60 Strat just because of the cost. I love the semi hollow sound it has, and especially the light weight. I spent a good hour, maybe hour and a half comparing this to a couple other Teles and and an old Explorer. I really liked the mahogany look, the light weight and the undyed neck, compared to the other Classic Vibe Teles.

The finish will get pretty beat up eventually, judging by that scratch on top, but it's definitely a pretty solid guitar. Figuratively, of course, what with it being a hollow body. I'm not likely to end up in any kind of show, since I'm still a beginner, but I'd be happy enough to have just this guitar if I had to do a little showing off.

Guitar Center did all the setup and the only issue was a bit of a loose output socket, but that took all of five minutes to fix at home. Intonation's not 100%, but that could be fixed with just a bit of messing with the bridge. Only real flaw is a bit of a deep scratch about 3/4 of an inch long on one side. Oh, and the cap from the selector switch is missing, but about half the Teles at GC were that way.

Made in 2011 in China. - 21 fret neck, Maple. - Thinline Classic Vibe Strat with a natural finish on a mahogany body. - Ashtray bridge, string through body. - Volume, tone, 3 way switch. - 2 single coils. - Classic style tuners.

rv_phoenix
    The newly added review, submitted by unregistered on november 10, 2011, is another example why amateurs shouldn't write reviews. He rated the guitar a 7 for features, although this Tele Classic Vibe '50 has all the features of such a model. He rated it an 8 for the sound, although he doesn't have a proper amp to plug it into. He rated it an 8 for Action, Fit and Finsh, although he was stupid enoght to buy a scratched and badly working guitar from a music shop (!!!). And he complains about the price! And so on. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the guys at GC sold him a guitar previously used for tests, taking advantage of his lack of knowledge. In reality, such Tele Classic Vibes are better than any Fender Tele MIM. Your eyes closed, you can't tell the difference between one of these and an American Special, no matter if you only listen to it or play it too. It has the right timber, the right pickups, good hardware and an excellent playability. If an amateur gets a badly preserved one, it's only his fault. The first rule when buying guitars is to refuse any guitar showing finish flaws: either it was badly put together, or it was damaged during transport. It might also hide other flaws too.
    Scwirul
    First impressions on this Squier without playing it would be that, being a Squier, it's for beginners and cheap for a reason. I payed 280 for mine, from Mansons in Exeter, and so far it's been amazing in the 6 months I've had it. It sounds great, looks and feels like it should do. There is no way you could be justifiably dissapointed by this guitar, if this was sold to me as something much higher-end then I wouldn't have questioned it!
    hazuing
    Thinking of getting one of these and fitting it with a/some P90/s. Thoughts/ideas?