Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline review by Squier

Squier: Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline

Purchased from: Individual

I needed a Telecaster to round out my Les Paul and Stratocaster and this fit nicely. I am playing primarily blues at the moment and this guitar sounds and plays very well in that setting. I will also use this guitar in non-conventional ways for unusual tones on my Things That Occur In Nature project. Google the name if you like ambient guitar music! I am playing this through a Fender Mustang Amp and Guitar Rig 4 with Rig Kontrol. Sounds pretty darn good. Not Noisy. Sounds: this Tele works very well in the Danny Gatton style of playing and general Nashville style. I am using it for blues and it adds a nice earthy PLUCK to my blues lead work. I'm using 9s and the hi E is a bit dull, still working on that issue.

I have been playing for around 25 years and have played professionally for many of those years. I teach guitar as well and would not hesitate to recommend this Tele to one of my students. As different as they are, my comparisons for this guitar are my (very good) MIM Strat from the '90s, my Gibson Les Paul and my Fernandez Revolver (along various others). If it were lost, I would get another. It plays and feels very good once setup properly. It sound really cool (like a Tele), and has inspired my blues playing. I am continuing to look for the limits to the sound of this guitar. It has a great mellow tone with the highs rolled off in the neck position and would work for jazz too. I really like the mahogany and poly finish, it's a real looker. I buy and prefer black guitars and bought this with the intention of selling it. It's been a month and... I am still playing it every day. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

Would it withstand Live playing? Yes. Speaking of live playing, this guitar is very light. At 6.2 pounds it could make the difference between being able to play an entire night and not being able to. Will the hardware last? I think so. Hard to tell about the internals of the tuners. They cheap China stuff sometimes just breaks. This my not be the case at all with this Fender. Strap buttons - solid. I always like to have a backup but overall, this seems to be a reliable guitar. The finish seems very durable. The Polyester coating is quite thick. I really like the looks of the pick guard and it looks very durable too.

Initial setup was bad. Not sure if the previous owner had anything done to it. I started from scratch and am still dialing it in. It plays very well is feels great. Pickups needed adjustment too. The top is very nice looking. The the bridge seems to lay perfectly flat (which can be an issue on Telecasters). I may replace the bridge with higher quality parts, still evaluating. Frets are smooth. There are few small buzzes here and there that were there when the action was higher. I have lowered it and adjusted the neck and they are about the same. On this style guitar for this style playing, it is not a issue. I am an aggressive player and buzzes go with the territory. All other hardware seems solid. I would like better tuners but, it stays in tune fine. This guitar had been sitting unplayed and was dirty, I polished the frets and all hardware.

- Year Made: 2009 - Frets: 21 - Neck is Maple with Jumbo Frets - Semi-Hollow body - Body is Mahogany - Gloss Finish over Patterned Mahogany - Body Style-Thinline Semi Hollow body Telecaster - Bridge: 3-Saddle American Vintage Strings-Through-Body Tele with Chrome Barrel Saddles - Pickups are Passive - Controls: 1 Volume and 1 Tone 3-Way Pickup selector - Pickups are Single coil Neck and Single Coil Bridge - Fender Non locking Tele Vintage Styler tuners Overall very good in the feature dept for the price. I would like to see a slightly better bridge setup and slightly better tuners. They are both very close in my opinion (based on price, $399.00 new).

resumeman
    I play this baby everyday around 4+ hours and it keeps very close to tune. I have own this for 3 years now. Has the same quarks as a Telecaster has. I just love the tone and sound this thing cranks out. I use a VOX Vt40+ amp with it and I am able to get almost any sound I need. It can really crank out the clean sounds and twang when needed and smacks out Led Zeppelin, CCR, Doors, Boston, Drop D, Open G, open C tunes and anything else I need. Very light, easy to finger chords and leads. This guitar has held up well and people who are into guitars just love the sound and looks. People say Squires don't hold up or sound well, but when they pick up and play this baby they are amazed. I have been looking to add to my collection and look at guitars a lot. I as have a Les Paul Standard and trying to find something in the middle also. Every time I leave the guitar shop I find I like my guitars better then the ones I tested. I sure if I had a big spending budget I could find something better. I'm just saying The thinline is a wonderful dependable guitar that sounds exceptional and is at a unbelievable price and if you went with the Fender 60's thinline you would spend 2k more. Most of the reviews here already fill in the blanks. Hope this helps, only a test drive will tell you if it fits your hand or not.
    ppiluk
    I had a Fender '69 Tele Thinline on hold at my local music store. I decided to try this one before I pulled the trigger. I am glad I did. This one was just as well built as the MiM Fender at less than half the price!
    JCaz
    I rarely take the time to write reviews but I felt strongly enough about this guitar to do so. Also, I was surprised that there was not a review on the thinline here! But if you look around on the net the reviews are all stellar. I got a bargain on this one but I would pay the going retail if I were in the market for a tele and could not buy one used. Not sure who the guy in the video above is (he is not the reviewer) but I am glad to see a video because there are not many of those either. Perhaps I (the reviewer) should make one! :^) Definitely go try one out. Jcaz
    deadbeatmax
    I got this guitar (Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline I mean. It sounds brilliant, a little sharp with my Marshall amp. I replaced the Bridge pickup with Seymour Duncan Little '59, which gives the guitar a bite. It's also coil tapping, so I can switch between single coil and humbucker. I play hardcore punk to hard rock to folk stuff on this guitar.