Deluxe Stratocaster QMT Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 03/05/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Squier: Deluxe Stratocaster QMT
Squier's Quilt Top Stratocaster guitar features a classic Antique Burst alder body with a stunning quilt maple top, plus a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, three single-coil alnico pickups, two-point tremolo bridge, five-way switching and a white pearl pichguard.
 Features: 9.5
 7.4
 7.2
 7.6
 2,230
reviews (2) pictures (1) 35 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Stratocaster QMT Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2006

Purchased from: Zzounds.com

Features: The Deluxe Stratocaster is a 2004 special edition Squier with an impressive figured maple top (flame or quilted) and white pearl pickguard. Finishes like this are typically seen on guitars costing 10 times as much. It is an amazing value, and it's a real Fender-designed Stratocaster! These special-run instruments are a cut above the rest in visual appeal. // 9

Sound: As a hobby I enjoy playing classic rock and punk style music. I accompany this guitar with a Line 6 amp. This guitar has clean high and lows with a decent sustain. I did have problems with the tremelo springs making a buzzing sound after striking the fourth and fifth stings. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Contrary to the other reviews, I had many problems with this guitar. My first one had a lot of fret buzz and razor sharp frets. Also, the finish looked as though there was hair line cracks beneath the surface. After returning this for a replacement, I recieved another guitar with a more finished fret board but a bunch more fret buzz. I decided to repair this rather than to return. Even after correcting and refinishing the fret board I was still left with an uncorrectable high action. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable guitar. This guitar will definately withsatnd live playing. All parts seem solid and long lasting. All the tunners and strap buttons seem sturdy enough to play live. I can depend on this guitar. I was quite suprised how thick the finish was. After hitting it against bookshelfs and cabinets, I got away with only a few minor dings. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for a begginer. Prior to buying this I was pricing out Les Pauls. For the money and features the Strat is worth it. I seemed to have an easier time playing with the LPs though. I purchased this guitar from the internet after trying one at the local guitar shop. Be careful, the internet will not always give you a show room condition stat. // 7

Deluxe Stratocaster QMT Reviewed by: Gralcu, on march 05, 2016

Price paid: € 350

Features: Received as birthday's gift, this Squier definitely rocks on just by looking over it. The quilted top (Cherry Black Burst is the colour) is astonishing. Its Pearl pickguard, equipped with a classic S-S-S pickup configuration with 5-way switch and volume-tone-tone, covers a series of fully-shielded pickup holes that seem to be painted by hand. 2 point tremolo (that looks just like Fender's one) and standard tuners complete the equipment of this jewel-of-a-guitar. It looks great! It came to me with a standard gig bad: a Fender one! That was kinda hilarious as the bag let me guess that on the inside there was a Fender and then... surprise! The budget one. // 10

Sound: The sound is that of a classical Fender Strat. BUT this is a deluxe budget Strat. I play blues-rock and a bit of fusion and this Squier definitely stands out for its clean tone. Neck pickup and middle sound very good. The bridge one is kinda "flat": it makes the sound that you would expect from a guitar of this price. I think I'm going to replace it ASAP. No noise at all but when I play certain notes I noticed a strange resonance coming from the bridge's springs. And yes:the body sounds, you can "hear" that while playing. Very good vibrations. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not so good at English (I think you've noticed it already) so I don't find any words that can explain how this guitar came BAD from the factory. The action was poor with many millimetres over the frets, which are like satin finish:they make your hand struggle. Bending is nearly impossible:the tuners are crap, same for the nut and bridge. When the tremolo arm is used you can see the bridge trying to exit from its holes on the body! The screws all over the guitar just came oxidized from the shop although it was new and guaranteed... Really nice to look at, really good to hear, really crap playin'. I own many guitars and I've tried many: this is the worst, no doubt at all. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Nevertheless, the little baby is builded with enough skill and it seems like it would survive tons of live sessions. Electronics are strong and you just plug and play on the stage, confident that your guitar won't let you on your feet. In fact, I unmounted it all and see that the body is fully shielded (rare feature for a guitar of this price) and that pots are cheap but not the cheapest. IF I had ever decided to take it with me on stage, obviously. This never happened because of its tuning stability that prevents me from playing the Squier anywhere I cannot "stop and tune" as I please. // 8

Overall Impression: If you find a good one I think it's a very nice product. The finish is astonishing (the quilted top-pearl pickguard combo is... no words, just really nice) and the sound is not too bad for this price. The woods are premium quality but I will replace all the hardware immediately. I wish they never tried to buy me this for present because if I had tried it, I would have left it in the shop waiting for someone able enough to make all upgrades needed. Now it lies unused under the bed. As soon as I get the money I will search for a luthier and set it up, probably with a bunch of new gear to mount on. // 5

Comments