Deryck Whibley Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Deryck Whibley Telecaster

Purchased from: House of Guitars

When I play music, it's usually classic rock or punk for the most part (the old stuff from it's early history and the more modern varieties), and this guitar fits both fairly decently, though it does tend to lean more to the punk end. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. With the combination and this guitar you'll end up with an extremely loud distorted tone. This guitar is VERY loud due to that Seymour Duncan pickup. I actually have to turn the distortion on my pedal down quiet a bit to make it not a complete distorted mess. For punk this is good, but the classic rock tone isn't as easy to get, though a bit of tinkering produced some decent results. Mind you, they were not as good as my Epiphone Dot or 57` Les Paul Junior Reissue creates. Just be aware, this is definatly a punk guitar through and through. Also, it's really only a Telecaster in looks only, there's not much, if any, of that twangy sound you'd expect.

I've been playing for about almost 2 years and this was my third guitar, my others being an Epiphone Dot and Les Paul Jr '57 Reissue. The only real problems I can see with this guitar is the fact that it can only do one thing: play punk. I'm sure I'll outgrow it eventually, but until then it will fit my punk needs perfectly. For $250 I feel this was a good bargin, though it's probably worth a little less then that. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably save up for something like a real '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (which is around $700, but offers a greater variety of tones) or maybe even just a Fender Standard Telecaster. For a beginner or someone who just plays punk, I would definatly recommend this guitar. I was very surprised at the quality of this and you may feel the same way.

I feel this guitar would definatly withstand a Live gig. I'd probably add some strap locks to it for the added safety, but there's nothing wrong with it. A lot of people seem to not like Squier guitars, but from what I've seen this guitar is of a pretty good quality. I'd definatly use a backup because you never know what could happen onstage.

I recieved this guitar out of the box from the storage room in House Of Guitars. iI had a good look at it before deciding on it and noticed one problem. Many frets past the 12th fret had a good deal of rust on them. The worked said he'd have someone take a look and fix it. A little while later the frets were good as new. This was the only real problem, so be forewarned that you may have a similar issue, though it could have been bad luck for me. Anyway, the finish itself was fine and the factory setup seemed to my liking, though I will probly tinker with it as time goes on. The pickups seemed fine and the bridge was also without any problems I could see. The only problem people may have is with the distinctive red X's on the pick guard and near the bridge. They aren't removable, but it's part of buying this signiture guitar so you probably won't care too much if you're looking at this particular model.

Here are the basics: This is a Deryck Whibley Telecaster, made in 2007 in Indonesia. It has 21 frets on a maple neck, with an agathis body. The body is black with a polyester finish and has one Ducan HB-120 chrome pickup at the bridge. Just one volume and one tone knob. Pretty basic really, but I was pleasently surprised at the quality thus far. It's based of the model Deryck uses Live, and '72 Telecaster Deluxe (I think) with 2 red X's on the body and one pickup removed.

mccann685
    mark hoppus is a better bass player than stinky pete wentz...marks' deserves to be on sale
    JoNnHannah
    Well written review. I'll never understand peoples vendettas against squires and epiphones.
    TheKingisDead
    It's hard to get a signature guitar when you're dead.
    ipSprite
    obviously they want people buying their product.
    congratulations. I laughed so hard at you it made my day complete for in reality a company wishes for noone to ever buy anything so they go out of business. seriously thanks mate, I needed to mock someone so badly and you just fit the bill perfect.
    renegadepancake
    ryanwesso
    i think all you guys take this a big to seriously. each to their own but sum41 have made it an are signed which is what most bands envy. well in to sum 41, ppl jst need to chill out a bit an not loose too much sleep over it. if u like it buy it if you dont then say why, dnt say jst coz its squier not fender, squier offend me, thats a bit of bull crap if ya ask me. ppl like that need to remember u start from the bottom unless mummy buys u a 1000 les pul or sumfin. if john fricainte (RHCP) recorded stadium arcadium on a squier none of you would know. ryan
    Shredder Guitar
    TheKingisDead wrote: 742627000017 wrote: ITS ALL FOR FUCKING MONEYYYY....LIKE AVRIL LAVIGNE CANT EVEN PLAY GUITAR GOOD...AND SHE HAS A FUCKING SIG GUITAR...IT SHOWS HOW THE ARTIST WANTS MONEY...FOR EXAMPLE...KURT COBAIN DIDNT HAVE A SIG...HILLEL SLOVAK DIDNT HAVE A SIG It's hard to get a signature guitar when you're dead.
    john lennon has a signature guitar.
    guitarkid2113
    guitarkid2113 wrote: [quote]getts182 wrote: Slovak, unless I'm confused and mistaken, is the bassist for Mellincolin.
    Hillel Slovak= guitarist for Red Hot Chili Peppers before John Frusciante...[[/quote] and really... I don't mind if someone who isn't as good as someone else gets a signature guitar. I mean its Squier anyways, so its not like its that expensive or anything.
    guitarkid2113
    quote]getts182 wrote: Slovak, unless I'm confused and mistaken, is the bassist for Mellincolin. [/quote] Hillel Slovak= guitarist for Red Hot Chili Peppers before John Frusciante...[
    orgasmickey
    So.. don't buy them. Let people make their own decisions based on this (great) review, as it is intended. As the review says, it would be great for beginner's who play pop-punk. Let it be.
    Chad11491
    742627000017 wrote: ITS ALL FOR FUCKING MONEYYYY....LIKE AVRIL LAVIGNE CANT EVEN PLAY GUITAR GOOD...AND SHE HAS A FUCKING SIG GUITAR...IT SHOWS HOW THE ARTIST WANTS MONEY...FOR EXAMPLE JOHN FRUSCIANTE DOESNT HAVE A SIG...KURT COBAIN DIDNT HAVE A SIG...HILLEL SLOVAK DIDNT HAVE A SIG
    actually kurt cobain's sig is the jag-stang, he invented it. but I agree, for the most part, Sig's aren't exactly what the artist's really play, are overpriced versions of almost identical stock guitars, and are generally just not up to par with what their price tags are at
    ghettokenshin
    Dude, this guitar looks UGLY! btw FDAJGuitarist, Squire is a mini company made BY Fender.
    TDAJGuitarist
    Dude tell me about it! They should make guitars and basses for musicians who actually DESERVE a signature guitar....But I have to say...I did laugh about the fact that it is listed as a "Squire" And not a "Fender" :-D
    HurricaneSG
    it looks quite cool though ofc its a shyt guitar.. that cross reminds me to the yellowcard logo
    Hendo3514
    wow this squier actually seems like a descent guitar the action looks nice and the neck looks like quality work, but if anyone is thinkin of buying this dont buy a proper fender even a mexican if ur on a budget, tbh i have a mexican and american strat and the mexican beats the american hands down
    getts182
    Slovak, unless I'm confused and mistaken, is the bassist for Mellincolin.
    TheAngryMob875
    what's a hillel slovak? her guitar appeals to teenage girls and other types of girls trying to get into guitar. she makes the guitar company money. As will this guitar when it hits the streets for all the canadian punk kids. they're popular to kdis right now.
    sk8rMeTaLhEaD27
    gucio93 wrote: Frusciante30 wrote: FOR FUCK'S SAKE! These guys just make me sick. Avril Lavigne Telecaster, Pete Wentz P-bass, Mark Hoppus P-Bass... and now this. What the hell is going on? obviously they want people buying their product. Avril lavigne is popular, so is pete wentz, and blink/plus 44+ are pretty damn popular too people who know nothing about guitar will be like "hey! Pete wentz uses this bass! It must be great! I'll buy it!" Even if the specs aren't good, therefore, they make a profit.
    my friend thought the pete wentz bass was good, and he's new at bass, i had to explain it to him haha, that comment made me laugh
    getts182
    Fruscante30 needs to back off the Hoppus bass. The Avril Lavigne/Deryck Whibley Telecasters and Pete Wentz P-Bass may indeed be crap, by the Hoppus Jazz/Precision Bass is pure Fender. It may be stripped down, but it's killer, man. I want one.
    Amuro Jay
    the real guitar he plays on stage is a 72 tele deluxe with SDs in it why couldnt fender just make that instead of a squier version?
    U-Mass
    chook0162003 wrote: i want his wife. DEAD. its a nice guitar though
    There, I made your post more realistic
    \m/Torin\m/
    hothot
    I hate Squier. I played one and one of my balls fell off and then Avril Lavine sounded good
    keefe122
    radof94 wrote: Frusciante30 wrote: FOR FUCK'S SAKE! These guys just make me sick. Avril Lavigne Telecaster, Pete Wentz P-bass, Mark Hoppus P-Bass... and now this. What the hell is going on? Aren't we forgetting the hello kitty series????
    I GOT THE PINK ONE JK
    radof94
    Aren't we forgetting the hello kitty series????
    getts182
    renegadepancake wrote: getts182 wrote: Slovak, unless I'm confused and mistaken, is the bassist for Mellincolin. Hillel Slovak was the guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers for their first three or four albums. He died of an overdose; they dragged in John Frusciante.
    I'd like to apologize for my mistake. I was thinking of Nikola Sarcevic. I totally should have done a Wikipedia search or something before I shot my, well not mouth but words, off. Again, sorry!
    Viincent
    What is wrong with you patronising squire and epiphone shit-throwers?? If you are a good musician you can play almost anything. And have it ever occured to you that not all people can afford a gibson or fender? At least like me, I'm from Norway, and the prices here are much higher than in the US. For a fender STANDARD presicion you willhave to pay about 1100 dollars, and the same bass in the US costs 450 dollars. That is the reason some people prefers the economic budget gearinstead of saving up money to buy fancy gear. It's not that I never gonna buy a fender bass.It's just that when I read what you gus actually wrote as comments you seems like arrogant idiots. Its the music that matters, not the gear...
    triviumpwns
    rallykelley
    I play a telecaster in a pop-punk band, and, i gotta say, this guitar looks sorta week. I was kinda startled to hear it didn't have the old tele twang. Why would you have a tele without it? The semour duncan sounds kinda sweet though. I don't know why everyones so pissed, though. I mean, yeah there's definately a whole bunch more talented guitarists, and probably a whole lot more deserving ones as well. But as any guitarist or bassist will tell you, any of them would take a shot in the mouth if it meant getting their very own siganture model guitar.
    SL!!!
    triviumpwns wrote: WHAT A FUCKIN JOKE, they could have picked any other guitar player 100000 times more deserving of a guitar and they pick this FOOL? ugh, just embaressing, and a ****in squier to, thats just saying "lets screw over a bunch of pre teens over by making a black guitar witha couple of red x's that look punk rock after a guitar player who not only has terrible vocals, but cant play any interesting guitar parts for crap, everyone knows brown sound was the musical talnt in sum 41 and he finally snapped out of it and is now doing his own thing. that underclass heroes bs of a cd was not only borig, but very very very very (takes a deep breathe) veeerrrrryyy unoriginal colaberation of music, but anywhoo this is a stupid idea and i pray it sells nothins, and if these guys want to help poor kids so much, why dont they just donate money themselves and from there sales of cd's and merchandise and so on? **** your anti american ideas and **** you derrick whibley .....now i eat pie
    Hahahaha. Settle down, it's just a guitar. It's not like every kid across the nation is going to own one of these. Hahahaha.
    SL!!!
    Entendu wrote: if you really want a guitar like this just buy a fender '72 tele and get red tape and make the x's. It would look like that and be of a way better quality.
    Yeah no kidding. It's not like his guitar was custom built. Lol. This is silly that they make this. They make cheap knock-offs of telecaster so if you wanted a cheap version to look like his you could do the same. Oh well.
    BradKohl
    First off, the Mark Hoppus P-Bass is epic. all the rest pretty much are ways to make money, and therefore, blow.
    viento
    avril lavigne is one hot kitten, that's the only thing she got going for her.... and as for signature models..... real guitarrists or bass players use custom made, or old equipment, customized... they dont need fender or anyother house to give them instruments
    petrucci_owns86
    squier doesnt deserve to make signature guitars and especially not for avril lavigne she cant play for shit
    Serjem
    umm i guess you forgot the frusci's strat
    U-Mass
    \m/Torin\m/ wrote: ya dumb guitar has 1 pickup thats dumb too, o well what else can you ecpect from a squier
    That is possibly the most ignorant comment I've seen on this review. And that says a lot after reading the ALL CAPS ONE LOL. A lot of custom Teles have only one pickup, it gives them their distinct plunky sound. Black Francis of the Pixies has a large handful of custom Telecasters with only one pickup and swears by them. Moral? Don't call a guitar "dumb" just because you don't understand it.
    unkownman99
    wow this is b.s y the **** would they make a guitar fopr someone tht isnt a ****in legend like come on people these guys dont no how to play all they do is play ther pussy music and think there big
    Lt hilsdorf
    Kozlic wrote: for example guys... I didn't even know about Slash having a epiphone signature. He never plays it...why? bechuse it's crap for him. But for a beginner is absolutely better than lots of other guitars. Signatures aren't same as the guitars that artists play. Atleast they haven't got same pickups and strings. I bet it that most sigs are different from guitars that artists play.
    Actually I've seen Whibley play this particular guitar before. He used it for some live in studio videos on Youtube. I'm sure it was this because I saw the Squier logo on the headstock. I can't remember if he used it live when I saw him, but I wouldnt think so. Anyway, this guitar really isn't as bad as you guys think. Of course it's not as good as a Gibson or Fender in terms of wood type and electronics and other parts, but it's pretty nice.
    skippy_moogoose
    oh yeah, those dudes have sig guitars, but there are more better guitarrist and bassists that dont have their own. like les claypool
    He doesn't have a Sig because he isn't endorsed by a company such as Fender, but instead uses Carl Thompsons, which are each hand crafted individually,in other words, each is unique and a work of art, so not a mass producable thing....
    gucio93
    Patrick1989 wrote: Don't blame the musicians. It's not their fault. I'm sure those companies ask them if they want to make a signature guitar for fans that like their music and want to play that kind of music. So they make cheap (in this case Squier) guitars that have a similar sound to the original. One last thing. Would you say "No" if some one asked you to make a signature guitar? I doubt it.
    Was that geared towards me? Because It doesn't bother me, the company wants to make a profit and I'm sure the artists don't mind, it's not like it's tarnishing their name somehow, people who like them will still like them if their sig guitar is bad quality, people wouldn't be like "OH SHIT, THIS GEDDY LEE JAZZ BASS SIG SUCKS, I HATE HIM NOW"...but that would be pretty funny ahah