Deryck Whibley Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Deryck Whibley Telecaster

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

It suits my music style perfectly. I play punk and I am the rhythm guitarist of the band "K.R.PunK77". I use a used Treynor amp which I got for 70$, the owner of the shop didn't know what the model was. I also use a BOSS DS-1 Pedal which gives it a noisy metallic sound (the best I could get from that) and with Tone at 2 o'clock and distortion at max with the level at around 11 o'clock (same as my amp) those settings are pretty good for the nice "creative" sound that will give you some heavy rock tones, not so much bass though. The amp settings I use are mostly for solos which is Bass: 2 Mid: 2 Treble: 8. It's very noisy and instead of turning the guitar down I turn it all the way up and turn the distortion down. It has alot of feedback that's very noisy and will give you a loud "screaming" noise when untouched. The variety isn't so much can play from Metallica to Sum 41 (half hour of power, does this look infected, chuck and screaming bloody murder) (distorted) and Sum 41's "all killer no filler and underclass hero" to Blink-182 when clean not much of a variety but I only play punk so it's great when paired with those amp settings/distortion settings.

I play punk and this is definitely AMAZING although I could use more tone because I'd like to play "Grab The Devil By The Horns" better and hopefully get an Epiphone SP-II (pretty cheap). I've been playing for about a year and I'm can play better than most of my other friends who have been playing for 3 years. The other gear I used to own was a crappy Slammer by Hamer SP-1 which was ok for metal but terrible for punk and not enough noise and had terrible tone. There isn't anything that I'd would've asked beforehand. I love everything about this guitar and the only thing I hate is that it can only play punk and only has 1 pickup so I can't customize it (won't matter after I build my guitar). If this was stolen or lost I would definitely buy this instead of buying a Gibson (I've used a Gibson SG Reissue and an LP Studio). Before buying it I played a few Epiphones and Gibsons at Long and Mcquade paired up with a Marshall amp and this is better paired up with my DS-1 and 5-watt Treynor amp. I wish this had a maple body and another a JB-4 Humbucker or an invader in the neck but that's just me (It's because I want my own PERSONAL guitar, one that I MADE).

This guitar I've moved from BC then to Washington then to Oregon and I've played Sooo many gigs throughout the Summer, I'm in Richmond so I've moved to Vancouver to do a gig about 20 times (just in the summer) when I got it (first day of summer) I played for around 5 hours straight playing tabs with my laptop. It seems like it will last longer than I will and I'm definitely going to keep this, though when I'm older I'd like to put the neck on the guitar I built myself but I will definitely order another one in! I definitely depend on it as it is the ONLY guitar I have right now and I've done 20 gigs about 2-3 hours long and it's still good as gold when I practice/recorded on it (I upgraded from a Slammer by Hamer SP-1). The finish will definitely last a long time probably as long as my guitar.

Well the guitar was setup really well, I had no problems at all, everything was perfect (even the tuners and strap locks), the action is great. It's really awesome and comfortable you just have to pick it up, put a strap on, and play (connecting distortion is really just an option if you have overdrive on your amp) it's really great for solos like the one in "In Too Deep" or "Grab The Devil By The Horns" and "Ride The Chariot To The Devil" which I just learned a few minutes ago.

Squier by Fender Deryck Whibley Telecaster made in April, 2007 in Indonesia. 21 medium jumbo frets maple neck and fretboard with an agathis body. Body comes in 2 colors black or Olympic white with polyester finish and 1 Duncan-Designed HB-102 humbucker pick-up Chrome plated cover in the bridge. It is a String-thru body telecaster. It has 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Squier Standard Die-Cast tuners. Has a custom Fender '72 Telecaster 3-ply pickguard. Chrome hardware. Fender Super 250L, and .009 - .42 nickel plated steel strings (perfect for beginners). Some unique features are the "Deryck" Signature on the "Large 60's Style Strat Headstock" with the Signature "X's" on the body and pickguard with "No belly cut on body". It didn't come with anything at all.

Xelested
    I find it so stupid when people complain about Epis and Squiers. Not everyone has an extra 1000$ to buy a guitar. If a kid gets his first guitar, do you recommend them a Gibson Les Paul? No, because it costs more than they can imagine.
    milkface
    I have this guitar. Fukin rips like hell. The Duncan Designed pickup in there is a modified JB. If you want a proper sample of the tone, watch the Asians review it.
    Bezza27
    Possibly a good guitar but I stopped reading after I read you're bands name. A punk band generally doesn't have punk in the name. Or dots and numbers like an online gaming ID or something.
    Themius
    I wanted to see what the users had to say about the guitar.. instead it's just a bunch of bickering about artist and squier and fender, and none of it actually has ANYTHING to do with how the guitar plays.