Double Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Double Fat Strat

Purchased from: Sound Control

I bought this guitar as part of a starter package around 3 years ago now. I bought the guitar with a Marshall MG10CD amplifier. Run through the MG10, the guitar would not suit any of the music styles I played at that time (grunge and classic rock), however this was mainly due to lack of tone control on the amplifier. When ran through my current set-up (a Marshall MG-100DFX, Boss GT-6) the guitar can achieve a wide variety of sounds from most music styles. The pickups lack power at times but this only affects heavier types of music. I have found no background hum or static from this guitar in the time I have used it. Without effects units however, the guitar lacks variety of sounds as the guitar is only equipped with two humbucker pickups.

For a beginners guitar, you can't ask much more of the Squier Double Fat Strat. I'm sure Squier didn't design this guitar with playing sold out tours in mind. I'm sure with new pickups and tuners it would do the job though. This guitar is built brilliantly. After buying this guitar I have also bought a Fender Mexican Telecaster, an Epiphone G-400 SG, a Freshman acoustic and a Schecter Tempest Blackjack. The Squier compares easily with the Epiphone and the Mex Tele. If this guitar was stolen or lost I probably wouldn't buy another as I don't use this guitar live or play it very often. I love the neck on this guitar, it compares well with most other guitars I've ever played. When buying the guitar I compared it to a Peavey Telecaster styled guitar (can't remember which), I mainly chose the Strat over the Peavey due to price and shop recommendation. I'm glad I chose the Strat. Things I wished it had are better pickups and coil tapping for a wider variety of sound. For 140 what more can you want though? Squier have made a great guitar for the price. Fabulous beginners guitar.

This guitar is solid, it is built like a tank. I would have no problem playing this guitar without a backup (if it sounded as good as my Schecter and didnt have the Squier logo on the top). I have dropped this guitar countless times and each time it only comes out with scratches or dents so I wouldn't have a problem feeling it was going to break. The finish is strong, after three years, the finish still looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it (despite tiny chips and scratches). Other guitars I own have worn away where my right elbow sits on the body, I don't have this problem with my Squier.

After purchase of the guitar, a fault on the bridge caused the D string to keep snapping. I put the guitar into a guitar technician from the shop I bought the guitar and the problem was sorted. Apart from this problem, the guitar was fine, itonation was good and the action was low for a Strat. Only flaw have found with the guitar is how poorly the nut was fixed to the neck, it was slightly squint but wasnt wide enough to fit the neck so didn't cover the whole width of the neck. Throught time, the valume and tone pots have become loose, these are easily tightened though.

No too sure the date this guitar was produced. Manufactured in Indonesia. Maple neck with 21 jumbo frets, quite fast with no shrp edges on the fret wire. Laminated top with 3 tone sunburst finish. Think the boy is alder but I'm not too sure. Squier trem unit, doesnt go out of tune right away. Passive pickups, 2 humbuckers with 3 way select Switch, 1 volume and 2 tone. Stock pickups. Non-locking tuners, hold tune quite well. The guitar came with a little bag with an allen key for adjusting the truss-rod and an allen key for adjusting the action. A spare spring for the back of the trem unit was also included.

terrygh1949
    Squier is what it is. I own 2 and have no complaints with either one of them. I have been playing for over 40 yrs. and, have had my hands on a lot of guitars. I used to think the same way some of these dudes do about the Squier name, well I found out a long time ago it's not the guitar, it's the musician behind it that makes it what it is and, I own several American Tele's,Strats, and Les Pauls also a PRS SE Custom and, paid out the Wazoo for them. Yea they're great guitars but the Squires I have will hang right with them and, for a hell of a lot less money! I'm currently considering a purchase of a Squier Bullet HH w/trem the blacked out version from MF for $119 and, I have no reason to think that it will not be fine instrument.
    Isle17Rock
    You must all be joking . my squire sounds awsome and is much more reliable than my epiphone which works wheneve rit blodly well likes. i would choose squire over epiphone anyday there just overpriced. this double fat strat is realy the way a epipohne should should awsome. of course neither are as good as there mother companys.
    55Computer
    Purchased in 2001, Indonesian. Tremolo holes were drilled to close to the route and Tremolo has broke. Low quality pickups. The tuners are the cheapest, worst made. I would not purchase it again.
    aiteacher
    I paid $60 for my candy apple red fat strat because the dealer thought it was a fake! It really is a solid, well made, Fender-toned axe. Look at some other brands that look-a-like-the-standard but are $ cheap but very well-made and worthy of further looks. For example, check out the inexpensive Steve Vai signature Ibanez JEM JR, that has much of the same trem and pickup appointments as the MUCH MORE expensive JEMs Steve Vai plays. And it looks great.
    rancros
    i have no problem with this guita, maybe im a beginner and dont know any better but ill never play concert halls but some of you buy cheap amps or have something go wrong with your guitar and act like every guitar made by is trash, i will say if you buy squire it needs to be standard. but for the price squire standards are decent, i just bought a better amp for better sound reproduction
    Anjohl
    I played it at a music store, it actually sounded pretty good, but for some reason, the low E would NOT stay in tune. I figured out it was the trem bridge setting the runing off afterwards. I had a tuner nearby during my tests, and I had to re-tune the low E every 5-10 minutes.
    stilofdanite
    i have to agree with everybody else it does suck. i HAD it and it sounded horrible, also the cable that comes with it is crap. I returned it after like a week and bought an Epiphone Special II, thats is a good guitar for a beginner like my self
    sexybeast101
    SquierLolz
    sexybeast101 wrote: this guitar sucks ass. squier is like the worst company in the world. the pickups suck and the guitar sounds like shit and the bridge sucks too and there is nothingeven remotley good about this guitar.i only got it cuz i was a begginer and i didnt know any better and i thought it looked cool and i didnt have much money.now i have a jackson which kicks ass. take my word and save you money and buy a guitar that is actually half decent.
    Fuck off just ... **** off