Hello Kitty Stratocaster review by Squier

Squier: Hello Kitty Stratocaster

Purchased from: eBay

At first look it would suit pop and similar styles, however it's surprisingly versatile. Obviously you wouldn't expect it to be played by a death metal band and I doubt many men would use it. However crank it up and it really goes for gold! I've used it for classic rock, punk, heavy metal and some blues and it's coped extremely well.

Overall I'd say it's such a versatile guitar that it could be used for a lot of styles. I've only been playing for four years but it definitely impressed me. If it was stolen I'd definitely get another one because it's one of my favourite guitars! I love the simplicity of it and how easy it is to just hammer away on. I didn't compare this to any other products however I have played a friends Tom DeLonge Strat and must say I felt they were very similar. It could do with is a tremolo system, I can just tell it would be even better with one. I am going to install some locking tuners on it because while they are stable and hold their tune well, in the heat of the moment I can be a bit rough.

I've gigged it once and didn't have a single problem. In fact I'm confident enough that you wouldn't need a backup unless you're prone to snapping strings! The finish is really good and so far I only have the slightest hint of buckle rash on the back, and thats with regular playing.

Set up from new was almost bang on. In fact all I did was change the strings to my preferred choice and it was ready to go! Everything was routed correctly and I honestly couldn't find more than one flaw. The tuners were a little bit loose but that's a quick fix anyway!

Made in Indonesia around 2009. 21 medium-jumbo frets. One piece maple neck with pink fret markers. Body is made of agathis. Strat style body with hard-tail string thru bridge. Only one control for the volume. Single humbucker at the bridge. Non-locking Squier tuners. No accessories came with it.

rlheart
    pineaple expres
    FreekBos wrote: I would use it for a death metal gig and set it on fire. That would be money well spent.
    this.
    lespaul1963
    My son's girlfriend has one of these. It's basically a single pickup, fixed-bridge Squire Strat. It's actually a pretty good first guitar, the cutesy cartoon mug on the body not withstanding.
    Cowless
    Dempsey68 wrote: ChucklesMginty wrote: whaip wrote: and another crap guitar is rated good.... This is one of the most versatile and highest quality guitars available, don't be fooled by the price. one, it's a squier, two, it's a cheap squier, 3, it has one pick-up. and four, "highest quality guitars available" have you EVER played a fender USA standard stratocaster??? or a gibson Les Paul studio? or even an ibanez jem? there's a LOT better guitars out there than this.
    He's trolling you, man. You should know that.
    sideslick
    Galfadez wrote: sewoo55 wrote: you gotta be kidding me Why?
    I'm pretty sure he meant: "you gotta be kitten me" I'm sorry for that, I really am.
    oliverchurch
    EFGuitar wrote: if its anything like other squier strats.....(shuddering) its not good.
    thats just not true, i own a squier cv strat and its an awesome guitar, especially now i've upgraded the pickups
    jetwash69
    Seriously, these tend to be better quality than the "crafted in China" Squiers, though they're simpler. And locking tuners isn't a bad idea at all. Might need to drill some more holes in the headstock though--had to when I put those on my Affinity. Since it it is a Squier you might need to do it...2 tuner housings cracked all the way through on my Affinity. Forget about installing a trem on one of these unless you have a router with plenty of bits and a lot of skills.
    metalhead 321
    rlheart wrote: I remember back when these first came out people were buying them and sticking an EMG-81 in the bridge for the lols.
    now THAT would be something.
    Guru.Guitar.Boy
    there's one of these at my local music shop but its more or less $2000. But i think the one in the shop is made by Fender...
    LivinJoke84
    If i had money to piss away i would probably buy one of these to gig with for teh lulz
    benedikt16
    I got a black one I was seeking for at Ebay. This is my first cheap guitar, I use to play a '73 fender stratocaster, 2 Music Man Axis Sport, a Gibson Les Paul Classic, an ES-165 and a Godin and qualities like thatand Im impressed by that lovely hello kitty show guitar. Mine came with a good setting, perfectly tunable even in the highest frets, excellent playability, no problems. I think the tuners to be okay, they hold the tuning pretty well if you know how to put the strings on and how to tune. Never tune new strings downward, pull and bend the strings forcefully instead to tune them down. So they become tight and stay in tune. SInce the kitty has no vibrato system, theres nothing to break or to spoil the tuning. The original sound is somehow harsh, simply a matter of pickup and pickup placement, and that sound adds a new color to the world of strat. Its nice and trashy. The humbucker is rather noisy, compared to "better" pickups. This is what I did ton get my dream show guitar: Stringed it with Ernie Ball regular gauge 11 strings, tightened the screws of the tuners a little, installed security locks and then installed a Roland GK-3 hexapolyphonic Pickup for my VG-99 virtual guitar system. Thus, this start gives me any sound I like, the internal pickups blends well, and the basic quality of the axe is ashamingly good. Yes, the screws of the kitty pick guard had been screwed in without the love youd expect from a great craftsman. The pickup isnt that well. But the guitar is absolutely okayfor the pro. For the beginner, I'd recommend a guitar that does not sound harsh when you play it "right", in am manner it should sound warm. Just for the needs of the learner. As a pro, I appreciate the pure concept and quality. And during soundcheck for my first gig with it, there was a 3 year old girl in front of the stage pointing at it, gazed at it in amazement, sighing: "Hello Kitty"! That saved my day!
    sideslick
    I'd do so many illegal things to get my hands on this guitar and then throw an Invader in it...
    redshift21
    Despite what people might think these things have become a collectors item, especially the pink ones and if you go on YouTube you will see some pretty good video's of why, these things are following in the same footsteps as the Teisco's and Audition guitars of the 60's and 70's, they to were ridiculed when they came out but are now being sought after because they sound different from the crowd, Fenders are lovely and so are Gibsons but after a while if EVERYBODY is playing them then we all start to sound the same, and that way is death
    redshift21
    BTW, watch what happens to the Spongebob electric guitar prices once they stop making them
    supersac
    seem like a guitar id mod the hell out could use a neck pup though now i want me a hello kitty strat it would go perfect with my 5ish watt tube amp im building
    Jsteele1408
    My cousin has one of these, and I tooled around on it a couple times. Honestly, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be. With a pickup swap and a good setup it'd be a fun little guitar to bring on stage, just for some laughs or whatever. Plus it's pretty cheap.
    zimzim1313
    i reallyreally want to buy one off of ebay, and then make it into a deathmetal guitar xD
    EFGuitar
    if its anything like other squier strats.....(shuddering) its not good.
    dvuksanovich
    This is the funniest review ever if it's a joke. If it's real then it's even funnier than the funniest review ever.
    FreekBos
    LeonidasVath
    how is it compared to the hannah montana wal mart special? Hahahahahahaha.. ha.. oh god.. xD
    Novationband
    drug.me.2.hell
    Novationband wrote: I want one of these so badly...nothing says punk rock more than a blood splattered pink hello kitty guitar
    FUCKYEAH.
    Amuro Jay
    MT in Austin wrote: Wish they made Batz Maru as a guitar. Now that would be epic.
    High five, my friend.
    redshift21
    They made a Batz Maru bass, they come up on ebay from time to time and I've seen them go for as little as $100, in fact there's one for sale right now (auction ends 04 Dec, 2012 20:28:44 GMT) on the UK Ebay site
    ChucklesMginty
    whaip wrote: and another crap guitar is rated good....
    TeleCam1990
    I love ultimate-guitar. If you think it's a crap guitar don't read the ****ing review you ballbags!
    KG6_Steven
    (insert smack to forehead here) This is a good beginner guitar, if even that. Anyone professionally gigging with one of these has probably had it ghost built.
    Dempsey68
    ChucklesMginty wrote: whaip wrote: and another crap guitar is rated good.... This is one of the most versatile and highest quality guitars available , don't be fooled by the price.