Jagmaster review by Squier

Squier: Jagmaster

I'm just playing through a little practice amp (an SP10) and some of the cheap Danelectro effect pedals, so nothing fancy, but it sounds great. It's nearly dead silent when it's plugged in - I've only played with single coil pickups before so it's actually a little weird for me. The bridge pickup sounds a little twangy to me, but the neck pickup sounds full and gorgeous.

I've been playing for less than a year, so I'm really a complete novice yet. This is my second guitar - my first is a Starcaster Strat (I.e. a Targetcaster). While I'm emotionally attached to my Starcaster, the Jagmaster is just in a completely different league. I'm still going to use my Starcaster, but the Jag is far and away a better guitar. At the $250 I paid for it, it's the perfect "serious instrument" for me. I work with some people Who play and they don't exactly give me crap for having a Starcaster, but it's more like a "dude, you need to get a good guitar" sort of thing. Now I understand what they meant - the Jagmaster is a much better quality instrument for not a whole lot more than a Starcaster. It's just a better playing experience. I can't speak to experienced guitar players, but if you're a noob like me this is a GREAT guitar - don't hesitate, go get one.

I'm nowhere near playing a gig (I probably never will), but it seems like a solid guitar I'll enjoy for years. I've read that the finish is pretty thin on these Jagmasters, and I'm inclined to agree. There's a small scuff on the body (looks like a chip in the finish), and I expect I'll add more. From what I can tell so far the hardware all seems solid, so I can Live with some cosmetic problems. If it starts to get ugly I'll probably just have it refinished.

The setup seems perfect - action feels great, no buzzing, pickup distance seems right, frets are nice and smooth. The body itself is made of at least 3 different pieces of wood. It's very well joined - I hadn't noticed it at first - and it doesn't really take anything away from the appearance, but the wood grains don't match along the joins. Otherwise, it's really flawless; the neck feels great, intonation seems spot on, tuning pegs are nice and tight.

This is a post-2007 Squier Jagmaster II with a 21 fret 24" neck, made in China. Pretty much matches the specs from the Squier website (except for the # of frets - they still list it as 22).

K-Schmidt
    i own a no-name guitar that is the exact same setup as this. if it is actually anything like it, it is a great guitar
    IRISH_PUNK13
    enselmis
    punctuation ftw person above me? maybe for 250$ its okay, but i highly doubt it deserves 10's.
    Ziggle
    Just picked one up last week. I'm impressed, especially for the price. Frankly, I like it better than my G-400 and my LP (so far), and I NEVER thought I'd say that about a Squier!!! Great tone, fantastic out-of-the-box action, worthless strings (oy...replace 'em asap!). Threw on some EB Coated 10s and it dramatically changed and improved overall tone. Tremolo went off to my parts drawer no sooner than I replaced the strings. Still debating on whether to keep it or actually go with the Jag HH--don't confuse this with a Jag or Jazz. Looks aside, it's another beast, but a very worthy instrument from Squier (which is a rarity). This one? I like it VERY much so far. It may be a keeper. 3-way selector is junk--replace immediately. Knobs are...kinda ugly. But these are minor complaints. I want to like this enough to not buy a Jaguar!
    Ziggle
    Decided to keep it. I picked up some black knobs and switch covers which really improved the overall appearance. I think I might do a SHPR-1 mod with push-pulls in the near future. If I don't like the results, I can always revert it to stock pups and stick the P90's in another guitar.
    tkjp
    jokes i've got an epiphone les paul standard and i'm getting the jagmaster but honestly the epiphone is one of the best mid range guitars i've ever played (especially with a marshall) i played the jagmaster today, thought it was pretty awesum, can't fault it.
    goo94
    IRISH_PUNK13 wrote: i got one these are ****ing amazing its a beast my only complaint is that when i got it the bridge pickup was dead so i took it to guitar center and had my friend that works there fix it he couldnt do it so he has to order the pickup from taiwan or somewhere i love the thing to death does any one know if squier has a cheap mustang type guitar
    they've released a classic vibe "duo sonic", which is the same body shape and similar pickups which should put you in the right direction, but I think its a bit different in design to a mustang (different bridge), but so is the jagmaster's! I may have to get one of these...