Jagmaster review by Squier

Squier: Jagmaster

Guitar's sound fits somewhere between a Les Paul and a supped up Strat. It has the humbuckers, but make no mistake, it doesn't have quite the meat of an LP. That being said, with a little work with the tone knob and a good enough amp you can make it play electric blues just fine. I have no problem with the sound, obviously it's easy enough to get Nirvana type tones and surf music just begs to be played but those aren't my bag. I play mostly classic rock/progressive type stuff and I haven't been let down by the sound yet.

I like this guitar a lot. I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a Squier Strat. I think this is a lot better than either of those. There is clearly a reason this is the most expensive Squier guitar. The look is purely Vintage and while the tone is different than a Jazzmaster it does have the cool look and vibe. If this guitar was lost/stolen etc I would definitely pick up another one. It's light weight, fits my fingers nicely and works well for classic rock and some electric blues (don't know if I'd play SRV style blues with it though.) I shopped long and hard before I decided to pick up this guitar and in no way have I been disappointed.

I've had one problem, and this may say more about Guitar Center than the guitar itself. When I bought the guitar I didn't notice that the three way selector was broke, it wouldn't stay in anything but the middle selection (both pickups). When I brought it back to Guitar Center they had to order it on-line and have it shipped to my house, that took much longer than it should have. That being said, once that was corrected I've had no problems. Strap buttons are much better than any other guitar I've bought, wouldn't want to but feel if need be I could probably play this at a gig without strap locks. I would definitely use this guitar Live although I might bring a back up just due to the tuning because of the whammy bar. Since I'm not really much of a whammy user this isn't a concern for me.

Action was set up fine at the factory. Same with the pickups. I did have to mess with the intonation and in all honesty, it took a lot of work to get the low E string where it needed to be that may be due to the shorter neck. That being said, once set up it fine. Of course, with the whammy bar it does go out of tune in time, but what do you expect. I think the finish on this thing is just amazing. It looks better than any of the Epiphones I've had. They've done an amazing job.

Mine was made in 2008, In China I think. It's a 24" neck, which is perfect because I don't have the biggest fingers. I have the sunburst finish and it looks amazing, the knobs and pickups are both white (I could have gone for a different color) but they add to the Vintage look. Has Duncan designed dual humbuckers, three way selector, Strat style tuners and a whammy bar.

AlexPay
    Can you buy this with coil tapped pickups as an extra or do you have to upgrade after purchase for that
    minchew
    Im looking for a cheap Jaguar type guitar to play stuff like Silversun Pickups and The Airbourne Toxic Event because my other guitars are geared more for metal. Would this be a good choice or could I do better?
    senanimach9
    I play all kinds of stuff from Weezer to Thrice, from what I heard this is a good guitar for classic/garage type rock with some overdrive. How do you guys think this would sound with some distortion, drop-d riffs going? I really like the looks of this guitar and am trying to figure out if it'll be suited to my needs.
    Maaikuru
    I bought this guitar as a backup for my gibson . which is now the backup for the jagmaster I love this guitar It is the best guitar I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few . I play black/death metal and have been playing for 7 years. Looks awesome sounds awesome & has great action. Only thing that could be improved are the pickup's which are getting changed this weekend FENDER CUSTOM SHOP TWISTED TELE PICKUP AT THE NECK & DIMARZIO SUPER 3 HUMBUCKER AT THE BRIDGE THEN ALL IT NEEDS IS A FLOYD ROSE