Jagmaster review by Squier

Squier: Jagmaster

Purchased from: Ebay

I play mainly pop punk, with some blues and classic rock and the twin humbuckers suit it very well. I am using it with a Crate V5 amp and currently a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal. despite it having "humbucker pickups" it is fairly noisy on both clean and with overdrive, and I have played it though several amps so I'm sure its the guitar. It is a jack of all trades type of guitar, it can handle almost anything to ask it to do, from blues to heavy metal, however it's better at stuff like blues and classic rock than metal.

my overall impression is that for $155 this is a very good guitar. It isn't the best out there but it can hold its own against any that retail for under $450-500(it retails for $280). When I bought this guitar I didn't know what I was looking for and I got it because it was cheaper than the Fender Jaguar while still being somewhat similar. I ended up getting a diamod in the rough. If it was lost of stolen I'd probably save for a few more months and get a higher end guitar like a Gibson faded SG. I would not reccomdend getting this if you have been playing guitar for a few years unless money is really tight or you are looking for a project guitar. However if you have a beginner guitarist looking for your first electric I say get it or another member of Squiers classic vibe/vintage modified series its well worth it.

This guitar is pretty durable. I have played it in several band practices but no gigs yet. One of the things that would be a problem once I start giging is that it doesn't hold its tuning for very long. In paticular the G string comes untuned after about half an hour of playing without using the whammy bar. With the whammy bar all of the strings stay in tune as along as you don't use the bar very often or very hard. I would not gig without a back guitar because strings break and other stuff happens and its just stupid to go without a backup.

I purchased this guitar used off of Ebay so I do not know how the factory setup was however when I recieved it it was very well set up. It didn't have any major problems besides many nicks in the finish from being thrown around by the pervious owner but the hardware and neck were all in tune and I havn't needed to adjust it in the 2 years that I've had it.

This is a 2006 Squier Jagmaster, Made in China. Its got your basic 2 humbuckers, toggle switch, single volume and tone controls. It is built out of alder, with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard with 21 frets. It has an offset style of body similar to the Fender Jaguar and Jazzmaster guitars. I'm giving it a 7, not because its lacking in features but because you can get more features for the price if you so desire.

godisasniper
    Brilliant guitar, only issues I've ever had were that the jack tends to work itself loose (easy to fix) and that the stock bridge pickup is a bit muddy - also an easy fix. Bridge is good, tuners are acceptable (not amazing but that's one of the things you expect to be less than stellar on a budget model). Frets/fretboard are the best I've ever played in this price range, so smooth and easy to play. Plus, the damn thing is so incredibly sexy. Buy this, you will never regret it.
    papavictor57
    `Got a Jagmaster when I was really looking 4 a Jag, think I got a later build 'cause mine has a combined tone/volumeknob on both pickups. Really was amazed by the fullness of it's sound, the neck is lovely to play and feels like it belongs in my hand, Set up is great. My other guitars are a Epiphone LP special2 and a Cort G50ft. The Cort is a complete different story as what they put out on the market costs about $400 and plays like a $1000.and as a matter of fackt they still are in my opinion. Compared Fender and Squier (same moddels) and 2 me there sure is a difference, but I only really notice it when I play 1 first and immediately after that I play the other, not that good that I'm talking about the high end Fenders, having said that, my Jagmaster defenately is a keeper, maybe a push/pull to switch to single coil, but that would be about it. Besides, my Jagmaster was build in Inonesia, like my Cort is, and has no tremmelo bridge!Payed €199 for it
    stefke250
    I own one for 10 years now. The quality is certainly on a high enough levell for a Squier (I think it's the best guitar they make, also think it's the only SQ with an alder body). I also have a SQ VM Jaguar and a Fender KC Mustang and this little Squier remains my favorite !!! I can't explain why, but I just love the neck (one important thing is the satin vintage laquer on it). I've heavely modified it over the years with US Fender 500K pots (added a second tone knob) and Two Dimarzio humbuckers. It's my favorite guitar for rock, garage, grunge, ... and most people who play it, would swear it's a 1000$ instrument until they see the SQ decal :. In short : Love it and excellent value!