Joe Trohman Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: Joe Trohman Telecaster

Purchased from: Rattle & Drum, Derby, UK

This particular Tele has an a strong alder body and a C-shaped maple neck. A thoughtful variation on Joe Trohman's (of Fall Out Boy) part is the large 1968-style Stratocaster headstock, which I myself would have chosen, and which also features his signature. The rosewood fingerboard is 12" in radius and features 22 jumbo frets. The body carries two open-coil humbucking pickups (neck and bridge), as well as single-coil Stratocaster middle pickup. Selecting which if these you use is a job for the five-position rotary pickup selector switch. There is also an upper bout kill switch, which I find extremely useful. Trim comes down to a three-ply black-white-black pickguard, skirted black/chrome amp control knobs, vintage-style six-saddle strings-through-body hardtail bridge, chrome hardware, and die-cast tuners. Two-color Sunburst finish is the only colour available.

My band Apparently We Fly play a mix of post-hardcore, punk, melodic rock and pop, akin to Alexisonfire and Funeral For A Friend. The Trohman Tele has fit seamlessly into that sound, providing a range of sounds to complement what the other guitar players are doing. I would like to stress that the range of sounds available to me as a player have thus far been broad and generous, allowing me to use my new Tele with my range of Boss pedals, as well as with the dirty and clean channels on my near new Marshall MA100H, played through a Laney IRT212. There is little noise other than when playing.

The guitar is beautiful and strong. My first response when I saw the guitar hanging in the shop was that it stood out and I couldn't figure out why. I find the standard Tele heads rather weak and it was soon after I requested a test play that I realised it had a Strat head. Everything about the guitar is what one would request in guitar quality - great paint and varnish finish, solid attachments, no wobble on the machine heads etc... The set up is perfect, allowing for open to 12th fret matching (especially great for capo use). My only quarrel was the standard strings being crap for detuning, but no competent player expects factory strings to satisfy 10/10 times.

Though I haven't tested this guitar on stage yet (I will be doing so soon), I have an abundance of faith that I will be using this guitar for the 11+ years that my Tom DeLonge has been standing strong. It has been bought to stand alongside my Strat and I fully believe it will stand the test of time. The strap buttons are solid, the pickups have zero wobble, and the machine heads are also very sturdy. The input is sturdy and I foresee it remaining so. Therefore I am going to give it a 9, rather than a 10, as I am fully willing to accept that this guitar may present an issue or two in the future.

When I was 14 (11 years ago) I bought a Tom DeLonge Fender Strat, which has served me in playing across many genres. No other guitar has touched on it. It has consistently been the strongest member of my guitar family. For a good 5 years I have been searching for another guitar that could match my Strat for quality and reliability without being the same. Trohman's Telecaster is a fantastic, dirtier, rebellious brother to my Strat; a fraternal twin, with it's own personality. It plays like it belongs with me, making it seem like my guitar instead of a model like many others out there. I cannot stress how pleased I am with it. My only personal gripe is the lack of available colours, but this is nothing against the endless list of positives things this guitar offers.

fistofTHEAXIS
    Squier artist series guitars are really good. I got a John 5 signature tele and it's as awesome as it is as versatile. Plus I could do the Randy Rhoads/Tom Morello "killswitch" trick right out of the box with it.
    morbidguitar
    Wow, yea it must be the squire guitar, cause no other guitar could do that!!!!! geez
    sideslick
    No other guitar could do that so comfortably, and so tonally awesome, all while being only $399.99
    morbidguitar
    For that price you could get a much higher quality Mexican Fender instead. The only Squiers that are awesome, are the 80's models made in Japan.
    severin
    False. I suppose you haven't tried the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, or any of the vintage modified Squiers.
    frankyz
    The Squier guitars being produced today give the MIM Fenders a run for their money. Most MIM guitars i have owned are not worth the money i paid for them, save one which i have owned for more years than i care to remember, I have several Squiers at the moment, which are (IMO) better than most MIM Fenders i have had. Squier have come out of the dark ages and are really excelling themselves in quality, build and sound. Perhaps you should try playing a few of the recent models such as the Vintage Modified, Classic vibe and the Artist models.
    Necrotise
    This couldn't be further away from the Tom Delonge strat.
    wriglarzz
    It has way more pickups, way more tone variety, and I believe they use basswood? on the squiers which is a warm tone opposed to the alder which is brighter. nothing like tom delonge guitar.
    wriglarzz
    even though he uses this guitar, I Betca the whole thing has been rewired. better pickups, better hardware, better nut. no way he'd play that hunk without upgrades
    chaossilvr
    He probably does the same thing as Pete Wentz. He has a signature Squire bass, but his live bass is really a Fender with Squire stamped on it. It's probably a Fender Tele live, but his signature is a Squire to make it cheaper.
    badfish_lewis
    I wonder if it's slightly offensive to have your own signature discount guitar. Kinda like saying you're not good enough for Fender. Or maybe it's just because they're marketing to this band's audience age bracket.
    MT in Austin
    I bet it would be cool just the same. No company, top tier or otherwise, has offered to make my signature guitar.
    codyjt5150
    Squier's are ****ing awful. They are just poorly built. Bridge and intonation problems. Especially when the bridge f!ckin flies off the body.
    the_thrilling_r
    My first guitar was your generic Squire Strat. I still have it to this day, was actually playing it earlier. And I'm still adamant that it has the best neck I have ever played, and I've played quite a few guitars in the past 14 years. So I'm gonna have to disagree and say that Squire's are actually catching up in quality to Fender. (I also own a Fender Tele, so I know the difference.)
    joe.saliga.5
    I have to disagree with that, I have a Squier bass I bought years ago, this thing has lasted this long. No problems or anything.
    frankyz
    I have to completely disagree with that statement.....Unless you are talking about the Bullett, ot the Affinity. The Vintage Modified, Classic, and Artist series are excellent guitars, and stand their ground against MIM Fenders who's build qualities are er not up to standard and are inconsistent. Don't judge a make for it's lowend crap. Squier build some great guitars.
    mowagee
    Full of it mate great little players at an affordable price, stay away from affinity series as its the student model. Otherwise very close to an MIM.
    boozebreaker
    I bought one of these for 139 quid when the cheap UK deals started but it was already on my shopping list after playing one in PMT.I went in to try out the Chris Shifflet model but preferred the Trohman .When the special price came up at Peach I grabbed one whole heartedly .I was very pleased to get it for such a low price .Its a no brainer .Great neck and frets ,low action .Very good sounds ,even though I gather it has 250 K pots ,odd for a twin humbucker guitar ,first guitar I havnt had to work on the nut slots or lower the action .Sounds good.Switching is oK but would have preferred the standard 5 way Oak type switch rather than the rotary .This is mainly as I sing and play so tend to slam from neck to bridge for solos .Not so easy on the Trohman so thats its only vice.If you can get one at the present (25/8/14 )low price get it now .Oh and kill switch is fun but I forget its not the pickup selector .A tad clunky for an old fart like me .
    Mazz-
    IDK, i think the HSH pickup arrangement is cute, & I Love telecasters, they're extremely versitile... but im not a huge fan of the Telecaster Deluxe's... I was born in 1985, so i never saw 1972, let-alone the 1972 telecaster deluxes...my dad bought A.R. Duchossoir's book "the fender telecaster" when i was like 9 years-old & I spotted it in that book as "the telecaster with an enlarged strat headstock & 2 Humbuckers" & I remember asking my dad "How could that be different then a Les Paul" & my dad laughed at me & said "There is a whole WORLD of difference between a 1972 Telecaster Deluxe & a Gibson Les Paul; first of all the scale length is much different, those pickups are not Gibson PAF's they're something new that fender came out with, les paul's have a set neck, those, like most fenders, have bolt on necks, the body wood for a les paul is Mahogny, Telecaster Deluxes were Alder, I played one at Center house of Music in Framingham, Massachusetts when they came out in the early 1970s. It sounded nothing like a Les Paul, sg or strat...dont bother"
    jhart08
    I don't think I would say don't bother, but to each their own. I would absolutely love to own an original 72 deluxe.