John 5 Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: John 5 Telecaster

Purchased from: GAK

Gotta say that this guitar sounds brilliant, the bridge pickup is great for high gain metal and hard rock and the neck pickup is smooth for solos and softer stuff. I play a lot of styles but my big ones are metal(iron maiden, arch enemy, pantera), Vai/Satch stuff and blues (Buddy guy-esque in particular) and this does them all very good and when you look at the price its top notch. A cool feature is the additional volume knob which lets you do some cool killswitch tricks for Morello type stuff.

This is an extremely versatile guitar, I had no idea who John 5 was before I got this but now I know that he is just as versatile as this guitar, even if he doesn't play it all that much. I've been playing for 3 and a half years and this had become my favourite guitar between my first guitar and an LTD Alexi-200, even with my pathetic MG it sounds good and on my friends Valveking its a beast. If it were stolen I would definitely buy another without a doubt, its pretty cheap and when I get enough for a few upgrades it'll be a premium guitar. If your looking for a guitar that is VERY good value, VERY playable and VERY good sounding look no further. Also It's shiny, why wouldn't you want a shiny guitar.

Apart from the loose hardware this guitar I very reliable, after I'd fixed the selector and jack output it was good to go, so far there hasn't been a single scratch on despite my best efforts with nearby walls and bassists. The strap buttons are good but I plan on putting straploks on it just in case, similarly I wouldn't take it gigging without a backup but I doubt I would need it.

This guitar was from the internet and was set up very well straight out of the box, I had to do some adjusting to the bridge when I went down to C# standard but in E and drop D it was great. The only problems with the guitar was the loose pickup selector and output jack, whilst it was easy to fix it was a little disappointing, all the other hardware was solid.

Not sure when it was made but i know it was put together in china, has a maple, 22 fret "modern-C" neck and an alder body. It only comes in black with double binding and a cool chrome stainless steel pickguard which looks hot but shows up any finger prints. The bridge is a 6-saddle tele bridge for a humbucker and has a string through body, the neck pickup is an alcino and the bridge a ceramic. For the price a guitar with all this is good value, plus the tone knob has been replaced with another volume (which are in reverse order so the bridge knob is closer) and the selector is in a new position.

khujo1023
    Seref
    Maybe he just wanted a hardtail HH Tele and this was the one he found?
    slowguitarman
    I agree...who cares? The only thing that could change that if it were super overpriced. This one doesn't sound like it though, so it's doesn't matter if it's signature. (Though it's still a Squier, so it could be overpriced...)
    Jon Rambo 7
    Seref
    Time Seller wrote: travislausch wrote: Seref wrote: Time Seller wrote: Why would you buy a signature guitar when you don't even know the person? Lmfao Maybe he just wanted a hardtail HH Tele and this was the one he found? I'm not a big fan of J5 either, but I heard some sound samples and liked what I heard, plus this is one of the better looking Teles I've seen. I'd thought of buying it too, even though I don't care much for J5. A nice guitar is a nice guitar, even if you dislike the artist who plays it. Far be it for me to say, though, that most people are too unintelligent and ignorant to be able to wrap their heads around that fact... Quite right, you're in no position to say that. Since the statement implies there are people actually less intelligent and more ignorant than you, I highly doubt it can be accurate.
    travislausch
    Time Seller wrote: Quite right, you're in no position to say that. Since the statement implies there are people actually less intelligent and more ignorant than you, I highly doubt it can be accurate.
    Sounds like YOU'RE the one that's upset on the interwebz ^_~
    Skuzzmo
    Why wouldn't you????? If you liked the guitar what's the problem?
    EpiExplorer
    claux23
    It's like playing a guitar that belongs to, and has been set up by, somebody else.
    EpiExplorer
    Time Seller
    Goose Catcher
    EpiExplorer wrote: Jon Rambo 7 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Well, John 5's a good guitarist. Same way as Jim Root is a good guitarist. By good I mean pleasing. His guitars okay. But tele's dont look good for metalheads. Its like going to Bloodstock and saying 'Hay guys, we're gonna play you some smooth jazz'. You think J5 is just pleasing??? Have you ever listened to one of his solo instrumental albums. Guy is real good and very versatile. So is Mikael Akerfeldt, but Mikael Akerfeldt is so much better. John 5 is just Jim Root with different facepaint/masks and a slightly worse guitar.
    Tomophilia
    Im not sure what it came with, I don't think they were dimarzio's, being a squier and all, but I changed them myself
    travislausch
    Seref wrote: So he's unintelligent and ignorant because he disagrees with you? He's not wrong--nothing stupid about buying the signature guitar of an artist you don't like/never heard of. I'm not a fan of Slash, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on his signature goldtop 'cause it's still a bitchin' guitar.
    I'd thought of buying Paul Alleander's PRS SE guitar, despite the fact that I hate Cradle Of Filth's music. If it didn't have the bat inlays, it would be one bitchin' guitar, as you would say. Actually, PRS has quite a few really cool signature models that I wouldn't consider buying if I were a douche like that. Mike Mushok's sig looks incredible, and I almost bought a Tremonti SE at a pawn shop recently. On the other hand, they just released a Mikael Akerfeldt SE model, and he's a favourite of mine. Needless to say, it looks sexy.
    Sam Wotrey
    Tomophilia wrote: I own a J5 sig squier with the EMG 81/85 combo and it is one of my top 2 or 3 guitars. Even before i swapped out the pickups it sounds as good as any American Fender of the same price, IMHO
    Serious? I thought the EMG Telecasters were Jim Root's. I'm pretty sure J5 plays DiMarzio's.
    Beldar
    I bought an autographed model at a charity auction last year for $250. Did I get a good deal? I like John 5's work, but I don't think anyone else did or didn't know who he was. Even though I'm a beginner, I really like playing it and it looks great as well.
    Time Seller
    khujo1023 wrote: What does it matter if he didnt know them or not? Do you know who designed the specs on your no signature gutiar? It doesnt matter if a name is on it or not. You can like a guitar and not like the person who designed... or not know them. If he was in the music shop, played some guitars and liked this one the best then its all good. Bunch of over critical pricks.
    Uh oh. Did I hurt your feelings over the interwebbz? Signature guitars are typically overpriced for their specs.
    Tomophilia
    Tom Ak40
    Not Trey wrote: No, seriously... Why did you buy the signature guitar of someone you didn't know?
    does it matter he probably just wanted a tele that suited his needs , i remember i used to want a king v demmelition and i didnt know who phil demmel was purely because it suited my needs, but now i know who he is i am a massive fan of machine head and his king v is my personal favorite guitar
    Linkerman
    A couple corrections:
    When i got home, i researched a bit about John 5, and didn't like what i heard. Not really my music and playing style.
    But it doesn't matter whose name (and this also applies to brands) is on the headstock, if you like a certain guitar.
    Linkerman
    Exactly. The first time i saw this guitar at a nearby shop, i didn't even know who John 5 was. Besides, there isn't a J5 signature anywhere in the headstock. So, all i saw was a nice, double-humbucker loaded Telecaster, with a "heavy-metal" look. I tried it, and i can say this guitar sounds awesome. The shopkeeper told me it was a J5 signature model. When i got home, i researched a bit, and didn't like what i heard. But i was still going to buy the guitar, because i liked it very much. In the end i didn't bought it because i found a Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut which i liked even better... But it doesn't matter whose name (and this also applies to brands) is on the headstock. Especially in this case, because this Tele doesn't have any J5 reference on the headstock. claux23, Not Trey & Time Seller: at least research a bit before speaking about what you don't know... And keep your dumb opinions to yourselves. I was going to buy it,
    8000man
    lol... maybe he liked the way it looks.. I like the way it looks but I DO know J5 but I dont listen to his songs
    Not Trey