John 5 Telecaster review by Squier

Squier: John 5 Telecaster

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm a rock 'n' roller really, I love Chuck Berry and all those rockers, but I play in a general covers band so I need a guitar that's fairly flexible. My main guitars is a heavily modified Fender Prodigy. I use a Laney VC50 usually with no effects. I bought this guitar off Ebay mainly becasue I just liked the look of the thing, I wasn't expecting it to sound great and could always stick some Seymours in if needed. However they are not, both humbuckers punch way above their weight, the mix sound is particuarly good and I haven't even miised the tone control. I'm my band the other guitarist uses a Les Paul, believe it or not the J5 stands up to it easily.

Being old enough to own a '77 Telecaster that I bought new! And having owned Fenders/Squires from pre CBS, JV, etc to modern and from every country of manufacture, I have to say that the my Squier J5 is a most remarkable guitar, Its not replaced my '91 Modified Prodigy as my favourite guitar but its pushed aside a '77 Tele, '87 Strat, '81 Fender Lead I and a Tokai in to second place. Plus WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

Not had it long enough to talk about durability but my first impressions is that it will have no problems in that department at all. I've started gigging it right away and sofar so good, just get a nice soft polishing cloth, cos' with all that chrome and black finish it shows up every finger mark.

I bought this second hand but I bet its the factory set up and its fine. The frets are polished, no sharp edges, no rattles or buzzes. Pickups the right hight, intonation spot on. The build quality on this guitars is equal to a Fender Japan Custom Telecaster that I once owned. The hardware looks up to the job, pickups sound great, full sized Alpha posts, cavities look to be screen painted there's really is nothing to complain about at all.

Made in China. Medium weight Alder body finished in gleaming black bound front & back with white binding. Nice C shaped neck, not huge or skinny, just right really, a rosewood fretboard with 12" raduis and 22 well finished medium jumbo frets and pearliod dots. Standard type die-cast tuner what work very weel. Headstock face is gleaming black too with a flashy silver decal and logo. Strings through the body with pre '66 recessed string ferruls. 6 saddle adjustable Bridge plate for humbucker, chrome pickguard with humbucker cut out. Passive electrics, 3 way Gibson type Switch on upper bout and 2 Alpha volume pots in usual posisition on control plate but no tone pot. Neck p/u is Alnico 5 magnets whilst Bridge p/u is Ceramic magnets.

ryan.richards3
    I just picked up the frost gold version of this guitar and it SINGS! I grabbed a Dimarzio super distortion for the bridge just in case it was lacking in heat, and I haven't even taken the Dimarzio out of it's package! The finish is gorgeous and the sound is almost on par with my 2004 Gibson SG Special. Fucking magical!
    DaniArrow
    My brother just bought this one, I played it a little yesterday and gotta say I was quite impressed! Looks sweet, great feel, great action!
    MaggaraMarine
    2ndPower wrote: I don't personally have a problem with him buying a signature guitar of someone he didn't know. I don't personally dig John 5, but I like the guitar. My problem is the fact that he mentions multiple times that the guitar is ugly. Why would anyone buy an ugly guitar? Who's thought process is: "When I first saw the guitar the first thing I noticed was how goddamn ugly it is." Was the second thing he noticed how much he wanted to buy it? (Also, the price of the guitar is $379, don't know why the hell this guy paid $700)
    Yeah and it was 750 AUSTRALIAN dollars that means it was about 800 US dollars.