Price paid: £ 85
Purchased from: Warrington
Sound — 6
- How does it suit your music style (and what is that style)? Suits rock style well. - What amps and effects are you using it with? OD, Chorus, Delay, Reverb thru Twin Mosfet 75w. - Is it noisy? On what settings? Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? Nor noisy. Bright but rich humbucker. - What kind of sounds can the guitar make? How much variety? Not a lot of variety but what it does it does well. I'm more about action than tone. I use fx for that.
Overall Impression — 9
- What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Rock. Yes. - How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? Since 1983. I've got a Gibson ES175D. - Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? Nope. - If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Probably an Epi 175D. - What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? Love its is simplicity. Just pick it up and off you go. Great fun. - Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? Nope. It was the cheapest Squier in the shop. - Anything you wish it had? Nope. Love it the way it is.
Reliability & Durability — 8
- Will this guitar withstand live playing? Yes. - Does the hardware seem like it will last? Yes it has. - Are the strap buttons solid? Yes. - Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? I have done. - Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Durable.
Action, Fit & Finish — 8
- How well was the guitar set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) Low and fast. Great. - How well were the pickups adjusted? Perfect. - Properly bookmatched top? Properly routed bridge? All good. - Did the guitar contain any flaws? (misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector, loose controls, etc...) Nope. All good and its stayed that way. Its never seen a neck adjustment.
Features — 4
- What year was it made? Where was is made? (Japan, Mexico, USA, etc...). 1985 I think, Japan. - How many frets? Neck/Scale (Fat, Thin, Jumbo Frets, Rosewood, Maple, etc...). 24 ish frets. Rosewood, Regular frets. - Solid-Top? Laminated top? Solid. - Body and neck woods? (Maple, Mahogany, Alder, Ash, Basswood, Koa, Plywood, etc...) Maple I think with Rosewood fretboard. - Finish (Satin, Transparent, Quilted top, Flamed top, etc...) Gloss Black. - Body style (Strat, Tele, Dreadnought, Cutaway, Thinline, etc...). Triangular. - Bridge style (Tune-O-Matic, Floyd Rose, Wilkinson, Tele-style, String-thru body, etc...). String thru body. - Active or Passive electronics? Passive. - Which controls are given (Volume, Tone, 5-way selector, 3-way, Tap, etc... )? One Volume. - Pickup configuration? Make and model of pickups? One Bridge Humbucker, Unknown. - Tuners (Locking? Non-locking?) Brand of tuners (Sperzel, Gotoh, Grover, Schaller, etc...). Unknown. - Any included accessories? (Case, gig bag, strap, cable, tools, humidifier, etc...) Wammy Bar.