M-80 Special review by Squier

Squier: M-80 Special

Purchased from: Belli Brothers

I use a spider Line 6 amp, it has a computer in it with quite a few effects, and sounds. The guitar is really clean thanks to the humbuckers. While I have little experence with other guitars, other guitars tend to sound alot more dirty. Not to say this dirty sound is bad its just different. The M-80 sounds really bright and clean, that's not to say you can't distort the hell out of it and make it sound like a monster.

I play a lot of genres, metal, punk, grunge, jazz. I have two teachers, ones a metal head and ones a classical guitarist. When the metal head picked up the guitar he approved it with flying colors. I feel that for a mid grade guitar this is one of the better ones availble in sound and style. For the price range there are alot of guitars availble however, most of them don't have humbuckers, rosewood and a good warranty. For the price, compared to most other guitars in its level, I would recommend this guitar. Infact if I lost it, I wound't consider a higher level guitar, and most likely buy this one again. I was worried when buying this guitar about the quality, I didn't wanna spend a lot but wanted something that sounded good, and the name Squier kinda turned me off. However, it's proved it worth, and I recommend it to you. Even when I move up to higher more flashy guitars, I think I will always be able to depend on this one for a good sounding solid backup. Happy guitar hunting.

Its hard to say, I've had the guitar for 3 months. I had an interesting problem about 2 months after I got the guitar, the first fret on the B and High E string sounded really twangy, like a citar. This problem onset itself about 2 months after I got the guitar (I've had the guitar for four months). When I held down the strings on either those two frets the string was slightly touching another fret. I brought it back to the shop the same time I brought it back for the output jack. All he had to do was adjust the screws at the end of the neck to bring the taper up a little. The shop owner said that it was due to the humidity and heat. Once again covered by the warranty and not a problem. So, whether this was the guitar problem or the weather and happans to all guitars I don't know. The good thing was it was covered by the warranty, wasn't a big deal and now sounds great as ever.

The guitar has a good action and is pretty comfortable to play. There was one main problem that plagued me for about a month. The nut kept falling out of the output jack (where your guitar plug goes in). No matter how much I tightened the little bastard down it just would not stay. I took it back to the shop and it turned out that the actual output jack was stripped so they had to soder in a brand new one. This was covered by the warranty so it wasn't too big a deal. Whether this is simply my case or happans in others I don't know. What it does prove is that they do not handcheck and inspect the guitar. Thankfully you can, and with the warranty avoid any costly problems or repairs (not that I have found anymore). Just a heads up to inspect the guitar.

I picked up this guitar as my second guitar, the main reason being the humbuckers. I had been playing guitar for a year and doing considerable research, so as not to waste my money. The humbucker pickups are great, do not get a guitar with single coil unless you enjoy static and a constant buzzing. The neck wood is rosewood, which as I understand is a great wood, everthing seemed pretty much together. There are two volume knobs and two tune knobs which are great for getting the most out of your controls. 22 frets in all. One problem for inexperenced players is the fact that the neck does not have dots on the face and only has dots on the upper side of the wood. This is confusing and diffacult to play at first, personally I prefer my dots on the front and top so I can reference where I am quickily, however once you get use to playing while referncing from the top dots it doesn't make a difference. Why they did this I don't know, maybe to make it look badass because no one can tell it even has dots except the player. If you care enough you could paint or mark your own dots, or symbols on without too much trouble, just make sure you use the right paint.

tpot06
    I think that i may haveto go and check this guitar out. I want a fender type guitar as a 2nd guitar also. Good job guys!
    pyro8857
    goddamn... some of you people are worse than microsoft fanboys... there's no sense in dissin someone's equipment. you use different sounds and styles. and whoever says jimmy page sux can go back to his parentss basement and blow himself.
    rhcpfan118
    i personally like humbuckers better, although i play both, i think that the higher end epiphones (like my epi les paul custom) are pretty good guitars, with a decent sound. it would probably be better with a better amp than the one i currently have. fender just has a classic look that everyone can associate with guitars, gibson has a better quality guitar nowadays (ALL gibson guitars are made in america, unlike fender) don't bite my head off, it's just an opinion.
    MORRELLORULES
    i own both a fender and an ibanez and they are two totaly different guitars its like trying to compare elephants to grandma's
    Slash_HuDsOn
    irockoutloud!
    ok, i have to admit after awhile my strat did start to buzz quite annoyngly but i moved my pickups up and down to different hights to get the buzzing to queitn down but still make it sound good so, yea the strat is good ,and sounds good for some songs but my les paul standard rocks
    WaitingForTime
    OneStepAway wrote: First I have to adress the user 'WaitingForTime' for being such a f***ing retard. Anyone who has actually listened to Children of Bodom can at least appreciate Alexi Laiho's guitar prowess. I am a huge fan of the band and I don't like to put up with people disrespecting their music. Also, as far as Ibanez and Fender... Ibanez wins by far. I have played guitars from both of them and can definitely say that Ibanez not only a cooler look, but their sound is so much better. Fenders used to be great but nowadays it seems that they're lacking in quality. Next time you buy a guitar, do yourself a favor... buy something from Schecter, Dean, Gibson, or Ibanez. Those are all great. And WaitingForTime still blows.
    yeah good one, dipshit
    RadioMuse
    I've generally been unimpressed by Squiers however this one interests me because I could easily afford to buy it then invest another $100-150 in Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups. Though I've never been happy with the feel of Squire necks, something about them just feels cheap when compaired with a Mex Fender or most of thier competitors (Ibanez, Jackson, etc). Personally I think Gibsons are highly overated, yeah they sound great and play great but you're going to blow at least $700 to get one where I spent $350 and managed to nap a hot-rodded Tele. It's really very dumb to get into a fight over brands though. Ever company has at least a guitar or two that's going to be total shit to you in they don't they'll probably take all your spending money from the last 8 months to afford one, and that's assuming you have a job... *sigh* Play what you like dammit and quit telling others what they should like and therefore play.
    Inliner
    for the people arguing about Humbuckers and Single coils, get a 'coil-tap' switch which cancels one pickup on a humbucker n turns it into a single coil like satriani
    guitar is yummy
    Slash_HuDsOn : drop-dead666 wrote: id like to see some shit like jimmy paige play an alexi laiho solo holy ****ing shit listen to a song by children of bodom you'll be blown out of your mind if you're going to make fun of jimmy page at least spell his name right dickhead
    I am shocked
    Underoath^
    Ok, so im gonna go totally off topic here and say something about the M-80. Its a great guitar for cheap. The only thing i found wrong with mine was that it was missing a spring under the top pick-up. So that bothered me for awhile. It sounds really good clean or with distortion. And its pretty solid too. If it got stolen, i would cry then buy a new one.
    Unsworn
    Seriously thinking of saving up for this guitar. I've been learning guitar for about 3 months, and aparently I'm progressing incredibly fast. I have a 5th hand Fender stratocaster that's in bad shape and sounds like shit anyway, and I'd like to be able to choose between my acoustic Fender and an electric guitar that actually works. I loved the look of the wine red m80, and according to my guitar teacher it's specs look pretty damn good. So I think this might be the guitar for me. Oh yeah, and anybody disrespecting anybody elses taste in music, not only is it annoying and you know you hate it if anybody retaliates, it's elitist bullshit and something I'd expect from 9 year olds. Roisin Knight, 14, England
    Ali-b912
    lol at the dumbass who was talking about children of bodom, shovelling crap at page. first of all page played a gibson most of the time. second children of bodom suck and have a queer name. third pages solos could actually eat any children of bodom solo, throw it up and make a origami crane out of it. and also is this guitar like a doublecut les paul shape? the picture is at a crappy angle and i cant tell if its strat or DC Les paul
    geekboy42
    why must we use such nasty words? Why can't we all just play our guitars and get along? We're musicians, not annimals! -T.S.D.
    OneStepAway
    the1
    Squiers arent so bad, but I dont like Basswood that much.
    Zolderzombie
    tpot06...this is NOT a Fender type guitar...it's designed by fender but it doesn't sound like one, it has humbuckers and it's a piece of shit compared to a real Fender.
    richabanana
    badman86
    my strat has single coils, it doesnt hum. Obviously he hasn't yet explored the world of stacked single coils or truss rod adjustment for that matter, in anycase, I don't trust guitars made in asia, except japan, japan is cool.
    dbryndel
    wow squire haters r ****ing idiots!! i think the Standard Squire Strats play better then ****ing gay ass ibanez shitty metal guitars!
    drop-dead666
    FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING DICK IBANEZ KICKS THE SHIT OUT OF FENDER THEY FUCKIN SUCK THE SHIT OUT OF DONKEY DICKS
    GlamSpam
    berteth wrote: i have a squier p bass special...its a pretty good beginner bass..but i cant stand the p bass pickup...whenever i pluck a string it always make an annoying clicking sound...ive adjusted it to different heights and tried to see if the wires were screwed up but everything seems to be in the right place...im not sure if fender pickups do this but im thinking of buying one...
    Ugh make sure when your plucking (or picking) that YOU AINT HITTING THE PICKUP. Don't worry, just a noob's mistake. If that's not the problem then maybe its just the pickup so get a new one.
    WaitingForTime
    lmao ok children of bodom suck shit haha yngwie malmsteen uses fender and he kicks the shit out of that death metal bullshit same as dave murray and adrian smith
    cap'nkirk
    richabanana wrote: "do not get a guitar with single coil unless you enjoy static and a constant buzzing." - this guy apparently thinks strats arent worth shit?... not a fantastic opinion.
    Except that good single coil pickups doesn't have that much hum anyway, there's going to be some but humbuckers don't have the same warmth as single coils, generally speaking. Squiers are pretty good for the money, plus there easily turned into project guitars.
    llama_guitarist
    drop-dead666 wrote: and strats suck they do hum and just because they have 3 pickups doesnt mean they're better and ya they just plain suck
    haha alexi laiho is amazing but don't be dissing jimmy page, maybe without him alexi wouldn't have become famous...i really don't know but hey it could be a possibility. i really don't know what this had to do with ibanez or squiers because neither alexi or jimmy play either of them...
    Dan Steinman
    greenday_kevin
    this is a cool quitar....cool but they don't have it in my country yet....(Malaysia)its a very nice place here,..
    berteth
    GlamSpam
    Dan Steinman wrote: oh great, another single-coil versus humbuckers fight. that's productive. look people, single coils and humbuckers have different properties, and are used to get different sounds. One is not better than the other, they are just designed for different sounds and different styles of playing. For a given sound, you might want the extra warmth of a humbucker, or you might want the brightness of a single coil. You decide. Can we stay on the subject of the squier guitar? Personally, I think it's great that squier has been diversifying because previously they only offered single coil guitars this cheap, you'd have to spring another 50 or so for humbuckers. Humbuckers are much easier to deal with FOR BEGINNERS because the added sustain and output offer a little forgiveness for their still developing skills. Single coils, especially on cheap guitars, need a little more finesse to get a good sound out of them, but they offer some sounds that humbuckers do not AND VICE VERSA, DON'T PANIC, NOOB SPAZZES!
    Straight up man. Single coils sound better through a compressor, thus making them beter solo guitars however they are single coils and thus there is noise, (unless you buy an expensive noise gate) I guess Humbuckers would be better for a rythym guitarist since he wants just a nice warm sound rather then a sound that "up in your grill".
    mxh
    Have one of these. They're alright but mine's starting to fall apart.