OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage review by Squier

Squier: OBEY Graphic Stratocaster HSS Collage

Purchased from: Music and Arts

It has amazing sound. It can go from blues to metal to rock to punk, anything you can think of. I play a lot of rock and punk and it sounds great playing both. I'm using a Roland Micro Cube with it and the only bad thing is you have to turn the volume up a little loud to get it to sound good, but that's just the amp. The amp has flanger, phaser, chorus, tremolo, delay, and reverb. The guitar sounds awesome with and without the effects.

I mostly play punk, and rock, and both sound great on the guitar. I've been playing for about a year now. I own an acoustic (don't know the brand) a Levy's gig bag and strap, and a Roland Micro Cube. If it was stolen I think I'd buy it again or the blue sunburst Les Paul. I absolutely love the design and I hate nothing. I also love the whammy bar. I compared it to the Les Paul, and I got this one because that's the only one I could afford at the moment.

This guitar has withstood 4 days of pretty much non-stop playing, and it seems like it will last. The strap buttons seem to be on pretty well, and I would definitely depend on it at a gig without a back up. The finish is great and will easily last. It's been knocked up against a few amps, walls, and tables, and hasn't chipped or scratched once.

Um everything on the guitar was perfect. All I had to do was tighten the whammy bar and tune it a little. But, overall everything is on nice and tight and in the right place. Ha-ha. The only thing I wished they had done was made an owner's manual to go with it. Oh and I did shine it when I got home because it looked really bad. But after I shined it, it looked amazing.

This model is Indonesian made. - Basswood body - Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard - 22 medium frets - Un-plated hardware - Die-cast machine heads - Fixed bridge - No pick guard - 2 single-coil Alnico magnet pickups (neck and center) - Duncan Designed HB102B hum bucker with alnico magnets - 5-way switching - 1 volume, 2 tone controls - Obey collage graphic top - Antique violin back and sides - Oxidized and worn hardware It came with 3 tools, one for taking the neck off, one for changing strings and one for removing pickups.

Scum_PunkRocker
    Dude what's with the Squier hating? Anyone ever played a '51? Those things are pretty sweet, especially for the price. i have an Affinity strat that I've had since '04 and it gets more playing time than my Fender MIM Tele. Maybe mine was a diamond in the rough but the neck is extremely comfortable, I know how to set up a guitar so I don't get those petty little issues you kids are complaining about and I have completely different wiring, a Fender Lace Sensor Red bridge pup and TBX master tone pot. It's taking a hell of an abuse and still plays like a dream and is always dependable. Before you go knocking Squier take time to dg through the pile for the good ones, they are out there. Oh and if you think Squier has poor quality, I can't even imagine what you think of Epiphone (and there, lmao, alder body/maple neck les Paul Stds LMAO).
    Peter Vibratio
    To those who say squier sucks. You obviously started playing it right out of the box. So here's a helpful hint to make any guitar sound 1000x times better. Get a set-up. I've played squiers that have sounded and felt far better than fenders and all it took was a little work, stuff that you could learn how to do online. Playing right out of the box (Guitar Center) is a tragedy.
    reilly91
    RCalisto wrote: so is it a fixed bridge or isnt it? xD anyways how can u rate a squier with a 9??? mine is a standard squier strat and it sucks sucks sucks there is fret buzzing, no floating bridge, the pickups are crap, the head is too heavy (when i play standing its hard to keep the guitar tilted) and the body is a little uncomfortable.. it hurts my chest.. a squier would be a 4 rating or something
    You sound like you aren't familiar with strats. It hurts your chest? Pshh, you just don't know how to hold it correctly.
    nikh158
    I had a squier and it was fine, far better than my Epiphone Les Paul, which I got rid of very quickly. I think people get too hung up on brand names; Guitarist magazine use Squiers and Epiphones for their cover CDs, and many session musicians also use them. Jeff Healey used a Squier for years, presumably because he`s blind, not deaf.
    Incubus=Science
    faminepulse
    Incubus=Science wrote: SQUIER SUX ^ there is no argument. Real fenders are best. This guitar is way worse and you could probably buy a mexi strat for the same cost.
    you can't really compare a squire to a fender. you can compare it to guitars in around the same price range, but it's pretty much a given that the fender will beat the pants off a squier.
    spencerisyourki
    squire can suck my left nut. i cant believe i bought it as my first guitar. i use it to wipe my butt hole now.
    fluff191
    Man Squier has sure come a long way from when i first got mine 12 years ago. Hell i was lucky to get one out of anything other than plywood! (poplar) Now they are basswood bodies and have real tuners? Fuck yesss I will play one of these over an Epi Les Paul anyday. Squier rules.
    Dr.Tomahawk
    'This guitar has withstood 4 days of pretty much non-stop playing' Serious? Careful man, you dont wanna push it too hard.
    Toy Soldier
    haha yea i broke 2 strings during that time =\ ohh and to all those people who say squire sucks. you think it sucks cuz its the lower brand and because you have a $600 fender or gibson les paul. for the money it is an amazing guitar.
    Guitarandbass
    I have one exactly like this and it is actually really good. It has never messed up, and i can use it for anything. Only once because I didn't play it for a month or two it wouldnt stay in tune. Actually that was because I accidentally bought medium jazz strings instead of regular lights like I usually have. It is very nice for the price, and I bought mine off Ebay. Toy Soldier is 100% correct. Why are you even looking at this if you got better guitars.
    Zwart
    It is not another crappy squier. First play it then judge it ! It is an realy nice guitar
    the.spine.surfs
    Aye. I would strongly reccomend, mr. reviewer, that you own and use something for more than 4 days before boldly stating that it's a super durable, gig-worthy, leave-the-backup-at-home monster. 4 days is nothing. Use it for at least a month, or even a few, before you go polluting UG's reviews with this garbage. Oh, uh, good review mate. Rock on Squier.
    Loori
    well, you can remove the fret buzz if you adjust the bridge. I tried, and my whole bridge got ****ed up, must get a new, quality one. I think with a change of pickups and a new bridge it's a great guitar for price - 'cos it's really cheap.
    Zwart
    where do you need a owners manual for ? It's a really nice guitar. but in my opinion the tele version sounds a bit better.
    CanCan
    Demonikk
    CanCan wrote: "- Fixed bridge" ... "All I had to do was tighten the whammy bar and tune it a little"
    Either that was a standard trem, or you stuck a whammy bar where it shouldn't be stuck (i.e anywhere on that guitar)
    RCalisto
    YourAshenMemory
    i got the hss dissent model it looks way better and the reason this guitar has a higher rating is its not your typical squier strat you get the floating bridge with whammy bar you get diff pick up set up which i upgraded to a dime bucker and hot rails and your paying about 150 dollars more for this one that a standard one so its gotta be better equipment so dont be hating on this fine piece of work
    zacky gates
    this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about, it's his first electric...i've owned a squier as my first guitar, and i can safely say that ALL squiers (MAYBE with the exception of the master series), standard and affinity alike, are complete and utter sh!t
    Mental Hop
    I can say from experience that a $200 Squier Strat beats the pants off a $200 Epiphone Les Paul. Now I have a Hondo Les Paul from the 80's that beats all the clothes off of any guitar I've played in my eight years. Don't let names get in the way of what you like.
    metalhead2061
    I have a really old Squier, from when they were still made in Korea and had the skunk stripe on the neck, and it plays alright. There is a lot of buzzing though, but it's not dectectable when I play it through my amp. It's a good guitar, but I agree with all of you about the new Squiers. Pieces of shit.
    Toy Soldier
    well the guitar i got sounds amazing. sounds better than my friends les paul. its balance is pretty good but it does hurt my hip when i play standing up. and yea the pickups could deffinatley be better. but for the price its a good guitar. ohh and it wasnt a fixed bridge.
    huskerdont
    this would be the first occurance ever of a squier sounding better then a les paul
    tugga06
    yea i play my squier at home and its liek i get frustrated cause i cant keep up and my hand is too tight but i go to the music store and play a strat and its like my hand is looser and relaxed