OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda review by Squier

Squier: OBEY Graphic Telecaster HS Propaganda

Price paid: A$ 329

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

OK the last reviewer was a little unfair. This is a TELE - you do not use it for METAL(unless you're John 5 and even then you use a truckload of effects pedals). Sorry - pet gripe with UG reviews that don't take into account intended use of the instrument, kinda like marking down a Ferrari 'cause there's no room for a baby capsule. Anyway.... I bought this for blues and it does not disappoint. This is a 'dirty' tele. It gives rich texture on the neck pickup and high powered output on the bridge. The Duncan HB102 on the bridge will give you crunchy breakup and distortion when you want some dirty gain. The neck gives a gritty clean tone with a little twang that sounds great through my Vox. Purists will gripe that it doesn't sound like a Tele and they'd be right. This doesn't have the same bright tone of a typical Tele - it's dirtier. But I love it. Perfect for blues and classic rock. As far as comparisons go it's got more bite than my MIM Strat but less than my Gibson SG. Actually my Strat sounds kinda dull now...

A Bargain. Sometimes Squires can produce very underrated guitars. This is one of those. I think these are discontinued which is a real shame as it's great value. On the other hand it's kinda cool to have something that will be rarer in years to come. I would rank the tone from this guitar alongside my MIM Strat without hesitation - in fact I think I prefer it. If it got stolen I would replace it. Ignore the gear snobs that turn up their noses at the Squire headstock. Go let them spend another $700 on a different headstock and you'll still have the better guitar ;)

Seems solid enough. Made in Indonesia - not China. No defects yet. No complaints. I suppose I would take a backup just in case - but thats me...

Action is great- a little fret buzz but we'll work on that. The finish is what drew me to it - I expected it to be a $1000 guitar looking at it across the shop floor. The paintwork and the aged hardware is beautiful. The C shaped neck is identical to my Strat - there's a small knot in the wood- no big deal really for the price.

2006 model. Made in Indonesia. Features covered in the previous posts. Adler body. Duncan designed bridge humbucker.