Satin Trans Fat Stratocaster HH review by Squier

Squier: Satin Trans Fat Stratocaster HH

Purchased from: Overstock.com

I run this through my Vox AD15VT with no effects pedals. The guitar resonates beautifully, for which I give credit to the solid mahogany body and lack of a big hole in the middle of the guitar like other strats (this is a pet peeve of mine... sorry.) Through the Vox's AC30 amp model, The 'buckers put out a very impressive clean tone, much brighter than the IBZ pickups on my Ibanez RG7321. The neck pickup is shimmery almost, and the bridge pickup is crunchy, but still brighter than most 'buckers. They are very very quiet, but you do get some fuzz when the whammy bar is above the bridge hum bucker, probably because it's made of metal, and it's getting in the magnetic field. You can get good light to moderate distortion and overdrive from this guitar, but trying to get metal sounds is a slight let-down; the pickups are just too damn happy and bright. Although I don't play much, I bet you could get great blues or jazz tones out of this. Really, it's great anything except satanic death metal screech. Then again, who can tell the difference between this screech or that?

I've been highly impressed by this guitar. Top of the line Squires are great instruments, as good as MIM Fenders, with better feature sets. If you're after a good guitar and can't justify paying much more for the Fender decal on the headstock, give Squire Deluxe-Series guitars a good look. If lost or stolen, I'd definitely want another, although I might try the H/S/S model, just for flavor. I'd have to say, this is the most beautiful guitar I've played, and one of the better feeling and sounding. If I could change one thing I'd see if it came in a black transparent finish! There's nothing else that needs attention, in my opinion. Finally, a disclaimer: I got this guitar on a huge discount, expect to pay about $250 USD at most retailers.

Surprisingly solid. My Affinity Strat seemed to be leaking parts and bad wiring; this one is much better. The body would probably survive a nearby nuclear blast, and all the chrome hardware is set firmly in place. No input jacks falling to pieces or selector Switch caps flying off left and right. I replaced the strap buttons with some Grover ones, but that's just a style preference. I wouldn't gig with it without backup, but that's only because I play with light-ish strings that enjoy breaking; no slur on the guitar. Finally, I should mention the trem. It is simply amazing how stable the intonation is even with liberal use of the whammy bar. I've been very impressed, especially after my disappointment with the Affinity Strat's tuning stability. This is the best non-locking trem that I've played.

As I was buying a Squire, I was leery of the setup. I have a hand-me-down Affinity-Series Strat that is just atrocious. However, this is a Deluxe-Series Squire, and apparently much better attended to at the factory. The action was just where it should be for 90% of the guitar-playing population, although I brought it down about half a millimeter. The intonation was good, and the pickups were well adjusted (no muddyness from being too close/far from the strings). The finish was expertly done, very beautiful, and the next was well finished, very speedy. Only construction flaws were the truss rod adjustment indentation is scratched, and the backplate was screwed on with un-necessary force, so the plate is slightly indented where the screws were screwed too far in. However, these are minor, and simply the price of not having a Fender.

This is an Indonesian made Squire Stratocaster type electric guitar, made in 2005, I think. From top to bottom: Painted 60's style headstock with standard Squire tuners. 22 medium-jumbo frets on the Standard Fender rosewood C-shaped neck with dot inlays. A solid mahogany body in a slightly slimmer profile than a normal Strat, presumably for weight reasons. There is no pickguard, and thusly, no Standard pickup chamber in the body like regular strats. It is finished in transparent satin crimson. The pickups are two "Duncan Designed" chrome humbuckers in an H-H setup, controlled by a 3-way toggle (neck, neck & bridge, bridge) with 1 master volume control, and a tone control for each pickup. There is a chrome Standard Fender 2 point trem with satin chrome saddles, and 2 trem springs installed (mine came with a third, which I installed for better tuning stability). The hardware is chrome, and the plastic parts are black. Frankly, a beautiful instrument, and rather versatile for all kinds of things. An excellent features list, especially for a Squire.

the.spine.surfs
    GettintheLedout wrote: i had a very bad experience with squier. my floating bridge was bent out of control, my neck was warped (prob. related) and my pickguard shattered. i will never by a squier again. But i do enjoy fender very much, i have a tele and a strat.
    *sigh, another Affinity victim. And for the reccord, no Squire model has a floating trem, they're all the vitage 2-point sychronized type. Floating trems are Floyd Rose's, Edge Pro II's, etc.
    p2fyre
    huh? floaty jaguar? never seen one of those in my life. I'm sure you don't understand what a floating bridge is. Also there's no such things as 6 point vintage bridges
    Dean-Andreoli
    I own one of these. Her name is Eli and she is heavenly in my hands. I have other guitars and basses but Eli offers a tone comfort and inspiration that the others (one being an american made sss fender stratocaster) seem to lack. If you see one and you have the cash handy, do yourself a favor, lay it down and bring her home! Dean Andreoli Portland Maine
    samuel_mash
    I'd really like one of those in the red colour as a project. Would kinda be like an SG only without the neck heaviness that I cant deal with. I already got one of the HSS Honey coloured models and put some lace sensors in it, I absolutely adore it.
    Duffy1
    Hey. I just put a down payment on one of these. I think it will be a great compliment to my collection. It's okay to make up your own words, as long as they make sense and convey yor thought. Your words are as good as anyone else's. This guitar is really nice playing, looking, feeling, sounding. Mine is used and I am getting a great deal. The fact that it is mahogany with red tint and satin finish really turns me on. It is a cool, laid back looking axe and the absence of the pickguard really makes it look simple and to the point; minimum flash, all down to earth super strat. I don't prefer the canoe paddle headstock but won't cut it down to a regular small profile like I really really want to It would be too hard to get a new decal, but I might break weak and do it anyway. However, it is possible that this particular guitar could become more valuable some day, being mahogany and so unique looking. I also think that Squires are taking on a new reputation of being great guitars. Not all of them, but some of them. I'm really happy about my purchase and can't wait to pay it off. I'm sure I will be figuring every possible angle to get it paid off and home. I still, of course, like sss strats and they definitely have a different tone, but this HH is really great sounding. I think this will become one of my favorite guitars. Duffy Things are often the opposite of what you at first think they are; same with some Squires.
    plucker101
    I have had this guitar for over a year. It is my 2nd guitar and my 1st squier. Right out the box i fell in love with this guiar. its looks bring you in and feel and playablity (not sure if thats a word) just rock!!! I've had friends put it down because it is a squier. But thats is until I let them play it.
    sic_riffs
    lol thats well unlucky hahahahah
    the.spine.surfs
    Floating bridges are used over rivers, to increase the survival rate of pedestrians and cars on said bridges...
    High_o
    Not all squires are two point, (Which means it only touches wiht two points,right?), some are like 6 point. Also, i'm not sure , but maybe he meant floating tremolo like in the Jaguars (but im not sure if theres a squire jag though)
    tom.acton.54
    A really excellent review. I bought one since reading it, I am very pleased with it. It's hard to believe it has the Squier logo, the workmanship is that good. So thanks for the review
    GettintheLedout
    awsone3
    and its perfect for me too its pretty much exactly what i wanted a strat that didnt really look like what u normally think one looks like 22 frets is a big plus for me so is the dual humbuckers and the finish looks amaaazing
    awsone3
    i got a squier xmas'05 and im like this totally rocks (u kno cuz at the time ive never played guitar before and i was all excited cuz i got an electric guitar) but over the past year or so i obviously played and learned stuff on it and the minute i plicked up a gibson at a guitar center im like how do people expect u 2 play this thing?? i personally play with my palm on the bridge and i was tryign out a really pretty "looking" gibson flying v but that was the day that i learned that looks arent everything with guitars so i just decided u kno wut im trying out a fender and it was really comfortable and i liked it alot so im like u kno wut im just sticking w/fenders and squiers sorry u had 2 read my wut seemed like life story but i lkie my squier that i have and this one looks great and shouldnt be too big of a transition for me im asking daddy for it for wut ever holiday is next i dunno proly easter or something really pretty i liked the review too
    the.spine.surfs
    SkyValley wrote: The name "Trans Fat Strat" made me laugh. What's next, a "Saturated Fat Strat?" Or maybe a "Calories from Fat Strat?" Seems nice anyway, though.
    wetwilliamthe3r wrote: monounsaturated fat strat. polyunsaturated fat strat anyways on subject it looks pretty nice.
    The above created unbelievably exuberant laughter in myself. Thank you both.
    SkyValley
    orlaithmmuldoon
    First guitar I started playing was a piece of s*** belonging to my brother. Decided to save up and get my own. Not being a massive fan of the typical Strat look (ie the white pickguard), I was initially looking at a few different Epiphones. Now, I'm a girl, and not a large one at that, so Les Paul styles were not at all practical despite their lovely looks. They were just too heavy and wide necked for me! Slightly disheartened I was going to leave the shop to have another think about what to buy when I spotted this absolute beauty tucked up on the wall in the corner, having been overlooked for seemingly years. I asked the lad helping me how much it was, expecting it to be way more than the ~300 Epis I was pricing, but he said he'd give it to me for 280 ($375, yeah Rip Off Ireland, but I'm used to that). Couldn't believe it. It felt absolutely perfect in my hands, the neck was lovely and narrow, the edges curved and smooth and best of all it was a lot lighter than the Epis (but still strong as hell). Mine's is the ebony version and changes beautifully depending on the light. It's still my one and only electric guitar 4 years on. I've learned how to play on it and I'm never gonna let it go. If you ever see one about somewhere, buy it. Seriously, just buy it.