SE-100 Electric Pack review by Squier

Squier: SE-100 Electric Pack

Purchased from: Tesco

I usually play ska and punk, which it handles fantastically. However, instead of using the overdrive on the amp, I use a Behringer BM100 distortion pedal. The 2 tone knobs allow for various sounds to be achieved, and so does the 5-way selector (I leave it on setting 5 for the best results). The guitar is also good for metal music, but for really heavy stuff, you may want to consider using humbuckers instead of the 3 single coils provided.

This guitar is awesome! It handles my musical style awesomely. Because of it's ease of use and inclusion of accessories (some of which are crap), I would definitely recommend it to a beginner such as myself. If this guitar was stolen, I would definately replace it with the same. All the features are awesome, even though the "rattly E string" is a pain up the arse. It is not really comparable to it's big brother, which is made by Fender, but by far it is better than some of the 400 guitars on the market! If you replace some of the accessories, then you'll have the ultimate Starter Kit!

I feel that this guitar would definitely withstand Live playing, and the hardware seems durable, even though the bridge may want replacing sooner of later. The strap buttons are good, but they do not support the provided strap (which is crap anyway). It is very dependable, as I would use it on a gig without any backup. The finish is fantastic, and seems like it'll last for ages.

The guitar came ready-strung, and had a nice, gentle action. the pickups were placed fine in my opinion, but some people suggest to adjust them (it's your call really). The guitar was free of any marks when I first opened it, and it still is (apart from the pick guard, which has some faint scratches in it. The only problems with the guitar are that it can knock out of tune easily, which happens with most newly-purchased guitars anyway, the low-E string rattles, which is annoying, and the bridge is quite cheap, as it looked like it was going to snap when I used to whammy bar.

My Strat was made in China, and features a 21-fret rosewood neck, a sturdy agathis body, 2 tone and 1 volume knobs, 3 single-coil pickups, a 5-way pickup selector, a factory-default bridge, which is cheaply made, a tremolo bar which is really fun to use, and a set of high-quality Fender strings. It also came with a 10 watt amp, which produces a fantastic clean sound, and the overdrive is alright too, a gig bag, which was appalling since it provided no proper protection for the guitar, a strap which continuously fell off, a tuner which I have not used yet but it looks like it will be rubbish, 6 medium picks which are cool, and a book, which was really quite helpful. So, it is an awesome guitar with some bad accessories.