SE-100 Electric Pack review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Squier: SE-100 Electric Pack

Purchased from: NZ Rock Shop

This guitar is good for all genres of music I like to play, mostly metal, rock and grungy sort of stuff. I still use it with the original amp occasionally, but I like to play it through my Hitachi stereo amp which is 180w because this amp give lots of ability to change the tone of the guitar with the eq settings. I use a Boss PW-10 Wah pedal with it, which to say the least is amazing (I'll do a review on that later). The middle pickup is very quiet, and I've tryed adjusting the height too. But the guitar sounds good when it's not played through the original amp.

I play mostly metal and rock, but mostly just bands I like and influence my writing style. I've been playing for a year now and have spent most of the money I've saved on guitar gear since I bought this. This is a great learning guitar and I don't regret the purchase of it one bit, I wish I had asked what colour it came in though when I got it, although I'm not sure what I would have chosen instead of black. If it were stolen I would move on to bigger and better things, because after playing it for a year and also having played guitars which feel so much nicer in the shops, I know there's better things out there for prices which aren't much higher. I like the balanced weight and smooth neck on this guitar and recommend it too all beginner players looking for an electric guitar of anybody looking for a practise set.

This guitar would probably withstand Live playing, but I've never played Live so I can't really say, if I got the opportunity to play Live I'd want to use something a bit cooler than a squire Starter Kit though. The hardware Seems pretty strong, I snapped off the whammy though, of course there was a certain degree of misuse lol. The tuning gears are the perfect tightness though. the strap buttons have come loose on mine but they can take a beating. I feel quite sure that I can rely on this guitar though although I plan to get something a little more expensive sooner or later, the finish will definately last a long time, but to me that's a downside because I want it to look well used.

The guitar came with a pretty good setup, although when I bought it I knew even less about the set up of a guitar than I do now. It felt nice to play though, and I did lower the action a bit and it didn't effect the sound in anyway, just made it easier to play. I raised the middle pickup too, to see if I could get extra volume from it, but no noticeable change really. It had a prefect finish and the neck feels very smooth and easy to play. I haven't found any flaws so far except for the ones I've put in it.

This guitar comes in a set with a non-cromatic tuner I think (recently purchased a new one), a really crap gig bag, 10 picks which are quite nice to hold but snap easily, a lead which might be 2 metres long (its long gone, I can't remember), a black strap which ripped after a month, and of course the Strat guitar and an amp. The amp says 22W on the back, I'm not sure if that's RMS. The guitar has a scale of 25.5" which I think is Standard for strats, has 21 frets, 1 vol. control, 2 tones, and a 5 way selector Switch for the 3 single coil pickup setup it comes with. It also has a whammy bar and mine came with a gloss black finish and a white pickguard.