SE-100 Electric Pack review by Squier

Squier: SE-100 Electric Pack

Purchased from: Music Room

I play mostly Foo Fighters and some classic rock, along with some other random stuff. I'm sure the guitar is perfectly capable of playing these styles just fine, but the amp that comes with it only has clean and distortion, with a three-way EQ, but there's no adjustment for the distortion, so all you really get it Ultra clean and Ultra cheap sounding distortion, but a decent effects pedal should solve this. The amp can be very loud in my room, and I usually only have it on 1 when other people are in the house, and when there isn't anyone else in the house I rarely go over 5, as it's just deafening. You can make some variation of sound on the guitar itself, but the tone knobs make very little difference between 10 and 5, so it's either the highest setting or the lowest really. The bridge pickup makes a very nice twangy sound, while the bridge and middle pickup both sound kind of bold (dunno if that's the right word or not).

I have played the electric for about 7 months now, and this is the only electric I've ever owned, and it's been pretty good. Once I've got some extra gear (Pocket POD and hopefully a Line 6 Spider III amp) it should last a few more years, after which time I'll be sick to death of it and will go and buy a new guitar. The amp that came in the pack really hasn't helped at all, it does not complement the guitar, which I'm sure will sound pretty good with some better gear. When I was looking for a beginners guitar, I tried the Affinity Strat, but my mum ended up getting the SE 100 instead as it was all they had left at the shop. In a way, I'm glad, I prefer the pick gaurd on this one, and I prefer the feel of it, but I'm pretty sure the other pack had a way better amp that this piece of crap, which would've been worth it. If it was stolen or lost, I'd get my parents to get me a Fender Jazzmaster or a Epiphone or something.

The hardware will last a long time now that I've replaced the bridge, and it's pretty good quality considering the price. The strap buttons are fine, but the strap that came in the kit is crap, and I got a new one as soon as I needed it. I would never use this in a gig, just because it's a Squier and I don't wanna look like a complete idiot, but I think it would survive one, as I pretty much beat it to death in my room sometimes. The finish has been thickly added, when I removed the backplate to replace the bridge, there was loads of it.

When I took the guitar out of the box, the strings were completely loose, and once I'd tuned them up, the action was just right (or at least it seemed so at the time, this was my first electric so I was just hyper about getting an electric and didn't take any notice about anything else). The guitar is very solid, it's taken a few bashes, and there still aren't any dents or anything, and the finish on the paint is pretty good as well, it's worn down a bit of course, but after a good polish it still looks good. The only thing I've had to replace so far is the bridge, as the tremelo bar on the old one completed mucked up because the thread on it was so bad, and it would go in the screw on the bridge without making it worse. But once I had done that all was well, and I won't be needing to do it again as I replaced it with a wilkinson bridge with a puch in bar. I haven't had to adjust the pickups at all, as they were just right when I got it. The tuning pegs needed tightening a bit, but they still kept the strings in tune pretty well.

The guitar has three single pickups, 21 jumbo frets, a tremelo bridge, 1 volume and 2 tone controls. The pack came with a standard/absolutely crap Fender gig bag, and tuner, which is pretty good, and has a bit of a Vintage look which I like, 3 picks (three colours: red, black and grey, and they're mediums), a Standard guitar cable, a decent guitar stand, and an absolutely crap amp!

MrChris
    no its rubbish. Crap woods + Crap pickups + shit neck equals = Crap no matter what amp you play it through. Its a 5 out of 10 even if its a good starter guitar.
    RenegadeDave
    MetallicaIsGhey
    I played one of these for a year and a half. Kicked the shitty amp for a 120W Crate and this guitar sound decent at best through it. Hands down, once you get decent at guitar you're really going to want to upgrade. This is guitar is fine for beginners and people who dont really know if they want to play yet because anyone who has never played obviously shouldn't go out and buy a kickass guitar for a ton of money.
    Armagedn
    This really is a good beginner guitar, but you can get a better version of the same thing for the same price. It's called a Peavey Raptor...
    J.J.G.
    I cant belive people are rating the guitar sound with 8's and 9's; squier strat sounds like shit the pickups are horrible and you can ear the loud single-coil buzz. Cmon if you rate this sound as a "9" how will you rate a gibson or PRS "23"?
    toasty_alcohol
    ripjoestrummer
    toasty_alcohol wrote: RenegadeDave wrote: Oh look, a guitar worth about $100 scores an 8. I swear this site should prequalify reviewers where it will adjust their scoring to reflect their lack of knowledge about a guitar. My first was a Squier back when Squier wasn't printed on the headstock, it said "Fender" then said really small "Squier Series" and was MIM. I knew it was trash then as I know it is trash now. A guitar pack like this should be on allowed to be rated with a maximum score of 5/10, maybe value you can get a full 1/10 but I doubt there is any feature on this instrument that warrants above a 5 excepting value. Not everyone can afford a 1000 dollar guitar. You have to consider that its a starter pack and good for beginners. try to compare this with the other shitty starter packs put out by yamaha or unknown brands. dont compare this with an insane pro guitar.
    You also have to take in consideration that there are MUCH better deals for this kind of money than a squier strat, which aren't very good quality guitars.