SE-100 Electric Pack review by Squier

Squier: SE-100 Electric Pack

Price paid: A$ 385

Purchased from: Rockshop

This guitar would have to be one of the best guitars for practice and learning all styles from classical to metal. I've currently got it set up with the 22 watt practice amp, Marshall JH-1 and a Behringer DD100. The pick ups have a lot of feed back on the 1, 3 and 5 settings. It needs a bigger amp to get some real potential out of this guitars sound. I haven't tried too many different sounds with this guitar but it can: pinch harmonic, trill, tap, bend and vibrato with appealing satisfaction.

I play assortments all most genres and this guitar suits me almost perfectly. I've been playing for around 2 and a half years, I own an Epiphone AJ100 and the two pedals stated earlier. I only wish I hadve asked for a better amplifier. I would buy this guitar again for certain but not right awy as I would prefer something along the lines of an Explorer or a Telecaster. I love all of my guitar, there's nothing to hate except the pickup selector with the knob that wont stick. Because of my limited income there was nothing really to compare to. I only wish that it had a new set of noiseless pick ups.

This guitar is close to being a tank because it is very sturdy, withstood several concerts, a very hard wood has been used for the neck and body, The starp buttons are largish and are incredibly sturdy, I would have this guitar as my first backup, if possible my only back up This guitar is very dependable. The finish looks like it will last a very long time.

The guitar is a typical mass production guitar as there was very mediocre cleaning done on the inside of the guitar itself, the pickups could have been tweaked so there wasn't as much feed back, The baridge is totally secure and I have had no problems with the neck of the guitar ever. The action is still a little low and it's hard to adjust so I don't get fret "buzzing" with open chord shapes. The only flaw was that the pickup selector knob fell off the first time that I used it.

The guitar was made in china along with the amp and bag, The fret board has 21 frets with a reasonably thin neck made from what appears to be maple. I am guessing that the neck wood is made from the same wood but I'm not totally sure. It is a black gloss finish with a white pickguard. The Strat style is a very universally recognised shape and with the Tune-O-Matic bridge style it is very nice to play. The electronics are very passive in the sense that the knobs have to be turned a lot to change the tone a small amount. It has # knobs (volume, 2xtone) along with a 5-way pickup selector. Stock pickups. Tuners appear to be locking, Brand Squier of course, the pack came with: gig bag, tuner, 22 watt practice amp, whammy bar (very average whammy though), lead and a small bag of picks.