SE-100 Electric Pack review by Squier

Squier: SE-100 Electric Pack

Purchased from: Tesco

I play all sorts of styles, and this guitar suits them all. However, I'm not using an amp; instead I'm using a Zoom G1 effects pedal and running the headphone output into a pair of 30 watt speakers, and it sound awesome. On certain pickup settings (e.g. the bridge pickup), the output can be extremely noisy. Lots of sounds can be achieved, from warm bassy tones, to crisp trebly sounds.

Overall, I like this guitar, especially for the price. It made a brilliant beginners guitar and still serves as a good guitar now. If it was stolen, I would probably replace it with a higher quality, more expensive guitar. Overall though, a very good guitar, especially for a beginner at such a low price. Please Note: This starter pack is no longer in production. There is a new equivalent which contains all of the same features, but the cosmetics of the guitar are of a much higher Standard.

I am certain that this guitar would withstand Live playing without backup, but the strap buttons are way too small and would need replacing. The finish is also rather nice. There are some scratches on it but these are barely noticeable.

The guitar was set up alright at the factory, and was ready to play. However, I later went on to lowering the action, which was rather difficult to do with the shoddy bridge. In fact, the allen screws are now sticking out of the bridge! The pickup positions are fine. Also, I did have a problem with the jack, which was wobbly and was loosing connection, but screwing it tighter with my hands solved the problem! Other than that, the hardware is good and of some decent quality.

PLEASE NOTE: I have actually already reviewed this product. However, being a beginner, I talked a load of crap so now I am more knowledgeable, I am going to review it again. I believe that this Strat was made in China. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard and there are 21 frets in total. The body is made out of agathis; many people think that this material produces a terrible sound but in reality, it doesn't sound too bad at all. It is a basic black in colour with white pickups, tone/volume knobs and the 5-way pickup switch. The bridge is a basic tremolo bridge which is nasty. When trying to set the action and intonation up, the allen screws and the screws at the end of the bridge nearly came out! Now that I've got my action sorted, the allen screws are still sticking out, and there's nothing I can do about it. Also, I can't get the intonation on my B string perfect; no matter how much I turn the screw to the left, it's still sharp! The pickups are stock, and 3 single coils are included with the guitar. These actually produce a brilliant sound for stock pickups. The tuners are also stock. These seem to hold the tune, but after small amount of heavy playing, some of them slip. Also, a gig bag, 5 medium picks, a SP-10 practice amp, a guitar lead, some strings, a tuner, a strap and a book. Whilst the bag, practice amp, strap and lead were crap, the tuner, strings, and book were actually alright. On the subject of the amp, it is alright for practising, but compared to other practice amps out there the sound is of relatively low quality.

jimmyjimbo72
    On my review, when talking about the B string, I meant to say turning the screw to the right, not left