SE Special Stratocaster review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Squier: SE Special Stratocaster

I got this guitar as my first guitar and soon upgraded to a Schecter Omen 6-FR, I play mainly metal so it didn't suit my style well. I am using it with a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I can get some decent blues and classic rock sounds out of it. The pickups are very noisy and give a lot of feedback with high gain channels but with low gain channels it is fine. The pickups give a very bright sound and it gives a very twangy sound sort of what you would expect from a Telecaster. The guitar basically has 1 sound: on.

For the style of music I play it is not a very good match but it does do blues and classic rock quite well, it is routed for HSS so it is an easy pickup upgrade to change it completely. I have been playing for 5 months and I own a Schecter Omen 6-FR and I prefer the neck on the Squier a lot more then my Schecter however it does need a lot better hardware. Since it was my first guitar and it was in a package I should have asked if there were better options by not buying in a package which there were. If it was stolen or lost I would look into buying something a bit more suited to my style, I really love the neck on this guitar and it is one of the reasons I haven't pawned it yet. I really do wish it came as a fat Strat, it would give it a lot more options in term of tone and I would considering buying it if it was a fat Strat.

It is not very reliable, the tremolo bar broke on the first day I had it, the hardware will last but it could do with a few upgrades like on the bridge and tuner. The strap buttons are very flimsy and I have dropped the guitar a few times because of this. I would not use it in a gig without a backup, first of all it has very poor pickups, with some few pickups, tuners and bridge I would use it in a gig but never without a backup, one broken string and your done for without a backup. The finish gets chips in it very easily.

The guitar was set up very poorly when I bought it, the truss rod needed major adjusting as with the tremolo being very angled instead of flush with the body and there was a lot of fret buzz. The pickups were at a great height of begin with and only needed a bit of adjustment. There were no major flaws on anything else except some fret wire being a bit sharp.

Chinese made low end Squier Stratocaster, it doesn't have a serial number so it almost impossible to date, 25-1/2" scale, 21 frets w/maple C shaped neck/rosewood fingerboard. Solid Agathis top with either sunburst, black or white satin finish. Stratocaster body with ynchronous tune-o-matic tremolo with passive SSS Squier low output pickups with Squier chrome tuners. Can only be purchased in a beginner pack with Squier SP-10 amp, gig bad, strap, cable, tuner, instructional dvd and everything else you need to get started.

Maiden-Canada
    pooflinger069 wrote: yeah strats are not good for metal period...have you ever heard one on a metal muff pedal...it's horrible...I tried my warlock on that pedal though and it was awesome
    pooflinger069
    Serjem
    come on people, what's wrong with strats... i havent really played a squire one, but i own a fender USA standard, and it's the best guitar i've ever played, really. fits me perfectly.
    drCoSmO1
    TAOD4ever : I Despise strats!!SG's kick Strats' butts! tard, strats are way better
    random_B-RAD
    I must say that it is not good for metal but you can get some decent high gain tones out of it, also the neck on it is great.
    MetallicStrat8
    I have on its not bad but they dont whistand abuse the tone of the middle pick-up sucks and mine gives horable feed back on high gain. Honastly id prefer my Ibanez RG 1100 over that.
    jwax
    ide get it and put fender neck on it and fender Texas pups on it.
    ma_tt11
    Probably the worst guitar I've ever played in my life (besides a Squier bullet). It needs a Fender neck, new pickups, new bridge and stable tuners before it would be gig ready.
    Mondo Generator
    seriously guys, just save up for a mexican strat. My FSR HSS strat plays like a dream. pretty good for metal, at least in my opinion. also, do we really have to have "Guitar a" vs. "guitar B" arguments here? SGs and Strats are WAAAAAy different. I like them both, but I'm a strat guy.
    Carcinogenic
    Maiden-Canada wrote: Tell Iron Maiden, Motorhead's Eddie Clarke and Yngwie Malmsteen that strats suck for metal. I'm sure they'd have a polite rebuttal or two.