SE Special Stratocaster review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Squier: SE Special Stratocaster

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I was playing the guitar with the 10 watt Squier amp it came with.. I barely remember how it sounded, but I know the guitar sounds okay through my Marshall MGFX50. It does pretty descent clean tones, which I did not expect, and even though I don't play with dist I hear it's prety good dist whenever I try it. So all in all, as long as you have a so-so amp, the guitar will not sound horrible, only thing is that the tone feels a little thin.

I'm trying to get good in blues, mainly improv. But I also play a lot of John Mayer, some Hendrix and a bit of other things. Come up with my own chord progessions and so on, I play a lot of different things, escept for heavier rock, like metal. This is not comparable to a real Strat, it's on a whole other level, and it's not a particularly good one. I'm getting a real Strat soon, so I wouldn't care much if this guitar got lost or whatever. All in all, it's great for beginners, but as soon as you start demanding something, you're gonna need a bigger gun.

I don't think this guitar is something to rely on. But hey, you get what you pay for, and I knew that when I bought it. And for what it's worth, I geuss it's priceworthy. You can't rely on much with this guitar, I've only played it in my room, but I have serious doubts I would dare take it somewhere else, were it my only choice.

Action is horrible, strings are very far away from the fretboard, and it's not a very pleasant experience playing on it, really.. The tremolo system is by far the worst I've come across (granted I don't have that much experience, I certainly know when something is not right), the birgde tuners is not even alligned with the body! And my tremolo bar broke the first day :( As said in other reviews, you can't rely on the strap. I don't know if it's the strap or the buttons, but I should think it's the strapholes that keeps getting bigger. Also, there is major issues keeping this sucker in tune, especially since I got new strings with .10-.46 instead of the .09-,42 that comes with it. Now, it seems it falls out of tune while you're playing it, ALL THE TIME!

You get a package with all teh starter equipement you can imagine. Everything is listed in the other reviews, so I won't go inte details! You basically get eeerything you need.. It's the quality you should be worried about. You get your regular, think it's 50's style, Strat(mine has a sunburst finish), a 10 watt amp, a tuner, a guitar stand, a gig bag of poor quality and a beginners lesson DVD!

Grimmjaw91
    I have one of these and one Schecter Omen Extreme... In the Schecter I've put Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Set (SH-2 neck + SH-4 JB bridge) and I really like it! For the Squier SE Special Strat I was thinking on installing something more vintage... Giovanni 50's Set, Seymour Duncan California 50's Set (3x SSL-1) or DiMarzio Area 58 (Neck and middle) + Area 61 (bridge)? What do you think I should install?
    ZA58
    This kind of looks like my but the sound I get off of my is 8 it has dream caster pick ups and it has a SRV look but it dosen't have the SRV on the pick gard