Showmaster HH review by Squier

Squier: Showmaster HH

Purchased from: Guitar Shop in Harrow

The guitar fitted my style perfectly a year or two ago when I was playing rage, but now I use a ES-355 as it has a warmer, brighter sound. This guitar could be suited for metal as the bass tones are loud, but as you move up the notes it becomes a fantastic blues guitar aswell. I have used it with a wah and it screams amazingly, the duncan humbucking pickups really were a great choice by Squier.

I love the sound of this guitar, its raw, bassy and is good for alot of music. I just hate the way it was shoddily made and the way it was setup, I had to pay about 35 extra just to get the problems fixed. I also like the floyd rose as you can rock out and not go out of tune and the way it sounds with a wah wah, I cant reproduce that with my ES-355. It may just have been my guitar that was built by an ignoramus so dont take everything badly on this, I really love the guitar I just had alot of bad experience with it due to poor workmanship.

The guitar plays wonderfully now I have set it up correctly. You can get some very nice blues tones out of it and I love the jumbo frets as I have big fingers. The pickup problem got very annoying as when I was gigging I would strum down and knock it into the position and my guitar would cut out making me look like a plonk on stage, but now that is fixed I am fine. I am using it as a backup guitar now as I own a Epiphone ES-355 Dot which suits the style of music we are playing but when the Squier is used as a backup it still sounds quite good.

The action on this guitar is awful, stock from the factory it is set up way to high for a player like me and the low E buzzed alot. I have managed to fix the low E problem to some avail but still buzzes when I play with my band. The toggle Switch and the volume control were also sent to me in a horrendous condition and the pickup cuts out when it is in a certain position and the volume control only actually adjusts the volume when it is near the end of its turn. Also while gigging I found out the strap hooks were bad the whole strap came off and I dropped the guitar and left a dent in the bottom.

My Squier was made in 2002, with two Duncan Designed humbucking pickups, a floyd rose and reverse headstock it was just what I was looking for as I play some Rage and also find time for Jimi Hendrix. The body is of a Strat style without a pickguard which was a bit of a shame because I now have small dents where I have used a coin out of desperation when gigging. It has a 3 way pickup selectior Switch a volume and tone control aswell.