Standard Fat Strat review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Squier: Standard Fat Strat

Purchased from: R.A.M.

This Strat is a guitar which is fine for blues and classic/easy rock so if your a begginer who wants to get into metal, this is not for you. I started off running through a Line 6 Spider III amp (full of digital effects-chorus/phaser/delay/echo etc.) and I found it to be fairly dull and unresponsive I could only get an aproximated tone instead of what I was aiming for. However, I recently upgraded to my first tube amp and this guitar has been ressurected, It sounds brighter through the cleans and can produce a decent crunch and the selection through the single pickups can produce some nice blues and funk sounds. The tone and volume controls are more responsive through the tube setup as well allowing for more tonal variation. One serious downfall is the floating tremelo bridge does tend to make it go out of tune quickly when using the trem arm.

I've been playing for about a year now and this is my first guitar, it has served me well up till now as I've been learning blues and rock like Jimi, AC/DC and Queen. It can cope with these sounds easily as well as more modern tunes from the likes of Greenday or White Stripes. I now play through a Marshall DSL 401 Amp with a DigiTech Whammy and Boss MT-2 pedal. But even with the distortion pedal it doesnt't really cut it for higher gain metal riffs which I am branching into .I think it will become a project guitar for upgrading later but, I'll be buying a new guitar soon to suite the higher gain tunes. If it were stolen I'd be heartbroken because it's my first guitar, that and the fact I'd be out of pocket to the tune of 140. Then again the thief would feel pretty bad too, after I broke his pilfering little fingers.

I'm gonna vote to rename this model the tank, because everything I've bumped into or dropped it on it has left its mark, and yet come away without the slightest ding on itself. It has seen a few drunken accidents but could go back on the shop floor as new. Great Durability.

I bought the guitar off the shop floor after a very short demonstration not knowing anything about set-ups and thought it was fine, but within a few weeks the sound had changed and I was getting horrible basey drone whilst playing chords. I took it to a store that had tech's and asked for a setup. On pick up the tech told me the neck had been to straight, the pickups had to be raised and the bridge required another spring to add better tension control. They also lowered the action and still managed to take the buzz out of the low E. So all in all, I would not say it was set up well at all but, maybe someone at the store I bought it from had screwed around with it. My squire is now very nice to play since it's set-up. Astetically, the finishes on the Fat Strat are very plain but well done, and the neck is fairly smooth in comparison to other cheap models I have played.

Made in 06 in Indonesia my Standard Fat Strat came in a pewter finish (that's dark grey to you and me)over an agathis body, it has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard holding 22 medium jumbo frets and a dark coloured '70s style headstock. It comes with a two point tremelo system and Die-Cast tuners. This particular model comes with a humbucker/single/single pickup variation and a five point selector Switch allowing the use of two pickups through the second and fourth positions. The pup's are squire Standard stock and do not bare any manufacturers branding. My particular baby is offset with a black pickguard.

MT in Austin
    I've had one of these for years. Traded an old DeArmond for it. I changed the bridge pickup to get a heavier sound (really nothing wrong with the original it just wasn't high output). After a neck adjustment and blocking the tremolo (I'm not a big fan of the Fender tremolo), the tuning is rock solid and it is highly playable. I'm considering replacing my Duncan SH6 Distortion pickup with an SH1 to get a more classic sound. The single coils pickups are clean but were a bit noisy at first. I shielded the electronics cavity and it made a huge difference. The guitar itself is pretty good. With a little work mine has become an excellent backup guitar.