Standard Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Fat Strat

I play mostly rock, (alternative, garage, retro, classic) and some blues and a little bit of country. This thing is so versatile. It suits all my styles perfectly. I am using it with a Marshall G10 MK. II (as mentioned earlier, ) and a Dunlop Crybaby Classic. It's not muddy or anything, and sounds awesome. I can get a variety of great sounds out of it, including one that sounds a lot like Hendrix, or Clapton on "Sunshine of Your Love."

Like I said before, I play mostly rock, blues, and some country, and this suits it perfectly. Extremely versatile. Squier has made an excellent guitar for a very affordable price. How they do it is a mystery to me. If it were lost or stolen, I would hunt that thief down and cut off his toes until he gave it back. The best part about this is probably how versatile it is. Don't waste your money on a Fender, you're just paying for the brand name! Squiers are just as great!

I think it would be pretty good Live. The hardware has lasted for almost a decade, so I'm pretty sure it won't bail out on me just yet. After I got a stiffer leather strap, it hasn't come off by itself for a long time. However, the strap that came with it is cheaper and comes off a lot easier. I would use it on a gig with no backup, because this is 1. a decent guitar which I can rely on and 2. my only guitar. The finish is pretty much flawless, even though I've been playing it lots.

I don't really know what it was like when it was Brand New, because my sister owned it for about 5 years before giving it to me 2 years ago. The bridge comes out of tune a little less than often, and it's a pain in the butt to put it in different tunings. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when it was new. Considering how long I've had this, it's in excellent shape, but I've been shopping around for a new guitar anyway.

This guitar was made in about 2000, 2001 maybe, and was crafted in Indonesia. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard, and it is green with a black pickguard. The green finish has a really nice slight sparkle to it. It comes with a string through body and Floyd Rose Tremolo, as well as 2 tone knobs and 1 volume knob, and, as usual, the 5-way selector. There are 2 single coils in the middle and the neck, (don't know what kind, possibly Duncan Designed, ) and a nice humbucker on the bridge. It doesn't say what kind of tuners they are, but it came with a Marshall G10 MK. II practice amp, (tiny yet super powerful, ) gig bag, strap and cable, which I have replaced after 7 years of usage.

pete-c
    Chrislevesque91 wrote: damskippy wrote: GatFanatic wrote: A friend of mine told me that Squiers aren't that good. Is it worth getting one of these, or should I spend more and get a proper Fender for a good quality guitar? Any advice? (I'm fairly new to guitar) Get a proper Fender. You get what you pay for....at least most of the time. MMMM okay. Fender = meed-ee-oh-ker Gibson = go buy one
    Learn not to triple post the same thing. Oh, and how to spell 'mediocre'. And not to be a fanboy.
    darkworrior80
    ive got one of these, and decided to pack it with seymour duncan pickups. this made the guitar saound awsome and it can now rival most guitars. the only thing that i want to do to it now is to fit a floyd rose. it is great weither i play stuff like pink floyed of weather i decide to play stuff like BFMV. this guitar is exellent.
    Charlie4
    This was my first electric (Squier Fat Strat), very reliable, good sounding - overall good value for a beginner. In any case, the man makes the guitar sound good not the other way round. However, If I had the money for a good Fender I would buy one immediately so save up if you can.
    damskippy
    Get a proper Fender. You get what you pay for....at least most of the time.
    leftinflinflon
    Versatility is worth something and the Squire Fat Strat fits the bill. But, a good amp will make all the difference in the world. Get a tube/valve amp, there are no substitutes for these.
    morbidkid
    this guitar had good clean tone and excellent for starters experimenting with sound. my only drawback is the durabilty. although the finish is scratchproof, the internal woodparts are soft. mine cracked beneath the bridge/saddle area and the pivot popped-out. it would take me at around $200 (philippine peso converted) to fix the damage. so i decided to buy an RG instead adding a couple of bucks more. I had this for 3 years and it's a shame although it looks sturdy on the outside, it is weak on the inside.
    morbidkid
    the fretboard is also weak. after a year of playing with this guitar, fretwires have dents and it caused the strings to have buzz/sour tones. for a 14,000 php guitar (around 250$) this sucked bigtime and im really disappointed de to poor durability. go grab an ibanez RG, a bit higher price though (around 350$ here in the philippines) but you get every penny that you've paid for.