Standard Fat Strat review by Squier

Squier: Standard Fat Strat

I play some Metallica/Megadeth style metal, and also some classic rock (Led Zep, GNR). I'm using a Roland Cube 15X with it, with no effects apart form the built in ones on the amp. With the humbucker, you can get a nice full rich sound, and with the single coils, you can get a very bright sound. Very versatile. I am quite happy with the sound of this, I've played it through a Peavey Valveking, and I got some really nice tones using a better amp.

I play mainly Metal, and the bridge position suit's the genre very well. The neck position is great for clean stuff, sounds very nice and bright. I've been playing for about 3 years (including 1 year classical) I own a Vintage V100 guitar, a Roland Cube 15X, and a Crafter Acoustic. If it was stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy it again, mainly because I'm saving up for a new amp, and I can't afford a new one. I love the Strat look, that was probably the main reason I brought it, I also love the headstock, as it is a 60's one. I don't like the neck, it's quite slow, and doesn't allow upper fret access. Compared to my Vintage, It's nearly as good, although I do prefer my Vintage for playing metal. When I'm playing lighter stuff, I use the squire. I would recommend this for players who are starting guitar, it's very good value for money.

Yes, this guitar is very well built, it has suffered a few major knocks, and it still plays just as it did before. I've had the guitar for about a year and a half now, and the hardware looks like it is going to last. Yes, I would use it on a gig with no backup. The finish is very good, I'm pretty sure it will not wear away.

The guitar was VERY poorly set up. I went back to the shop, told them that it was set up terribly, and they gave me a free set up. The pick ups were fine. In fact I really like the sound of these pups. It didn't contain any major flaws apart from the set up, and a small chip in the wood. Hardly any fret buzz, very good for a 200 guitar.

22 frets, Rosewood fretboard. Strat sytle body, String-thru body. Chrome hardware. Large 60's style headstock. Master Volume one, 2 tone, 5 way pick up selector. Polyurethane Finish. Available in Red/Black, Black. I got a gig bag, and a strap when I brought it, I also got a lead with it.